+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Miners Strike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Miners Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Once U shop, U can't stop View Post
    My friend, what is happening right at this moment is that the self-employed artisans are calling the shots. The economic balance has shifted again. I recently asked for four quotes for a boiler and gas fire replacement - three from s/e individuals. Two didn't bother to come despite being chased (including one guy who had serviced our central heating for years). The other said he couldn't quote as he could only do the work in the new year and didn't know what the prices would be. Fair enough - I get this, but what I see is an empowered work force who think they can get away with poor service.
    There's loads of work out there at the moment, too much, and not enough tradespeople to do it all. I blame The abolition of the traditional apprenticeship. Young people can earn a fantastic living if they're prepared to learn a trade. It's not easy to find someone who's prepared to train youngsters up though.

Re: The Miners Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's loads of work out there at the moment, too much, and not enough tradespeople to do it all. I blame The abolition of the traditional apprenticeship. Young people can earn a fantastic living if they're prepared to learn a trade. It's not easy to find someone who's prepared to train youngsters up though.
    I've trying to find someone to do a gut bathroom reno for 7 months. Every contractor that showed up either ghosted us after we agreed a price or just quoted an astronomical amount. We have had quotes from $7000 to $20000 for a 48 square foot bathroom. All the materials have been sitting in my garage since May.