+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 final disorder

Euro 2020 final disorder

Is anyone surprised the disorder at Wembley happened the way it did on the day of the Euro final?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59518850

Re: Euro 2020 final disorder

It's a terrible read, and I feel really bad especially for the kids. That day should have been the best in their childhood, win or lose, and instead it was terrifying.

Why do you ask about being surprised? To me, it was way beyond what I may have expected and I'm not sure the authorities take a great deal of blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Is anyone surprised the disorder at Wembley happened the way it did on the day of the Euro final?

Not really.

I’m a little surprised by the response although I’m not sure what could’ve been done differently? It’s obvious from mid morning that things were going to go tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Not really.

I’m a little surprised by the response although I’m not sure what could’ve been done differently? It’s obvious from mid morning that things were going to go tits up.
    Exactly this, the lack of police response is unforgivable.

I always get the feeling if you step out of line at football these days you are in serious bother…..weird how there was so little police and security, at a final no less.

They need to treat this as a society issue and not just a football issues because this same behaviour had happened at other types of events.

Some people think they can do what they want.

Surely the time of kick-off was wrong - all day on whatever got you "off yer face"?

Classic case of a perfect storm coming together really. Certainly a product of lockdown etc.

Although football safety has vastly improved, it goes to show that at pressure points (entrance / exit points mainly) we could still see stuff go seriously wrong.

Lucky noboday died seems to be a common feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    They need to treat this as a society issue and not just a football issues because this same behaviour had happened at other types of events.

Some people think they can do what they want.
    Who were the 6000 ticketless people? We’re they actually football fans or just general chancers and yobs from London?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Who were the 6000 ticketless people? We’re they actually football fans or just general chancers and yobs from London?
    All three probably. I think we can all understand how it could happen though. Summer Sunday, no football for 18 months, long day on the piss, chance to win something for the first time in 50 years, loads of booze, excitement building, no fan zones in central london, more booze, knowledge there are 30,000 physically empty seats, inexperienced stewarding....these things escalate.

That's not to excuse it at all, I can just see how it emerged.

Wouldn't have happened in normal times and wouldn't have happened if stadium had been totally empty either.

Surprised at the enormity of disorder tbh.
    Obviously well organised.
    Where was the intelligence?

The response from the authorities on the day was too little too late. Police tried to give people the opportunity to enjoy a good day out, thinking a carnival atmosphere eould ensue, but yet again the drinking culture, immaturity and the ability of people just to enjoy themselves was too much. The lack of fan zones played a massive part and I think the structure of the tournament played its part in that.
    Will 1 game behind closed doors be a suitable punishment and deterrent- I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

The main surprise for me is that there were only 6000 ticketless fans. The lack of planning and precaution is just par for the course. The pubs were open at 9am? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Classic case of a perfect storm coming together really. Certainly a product of lockdown etc.

Although football safety has vastly improved, it goes to show that at pressure points (entrance / exit points mainly) we could still see stuff go seriously wrong.

Lucky noboday died seems to be a common feeling.
    I honestly think that with England playing in the finalof a major tournament at Wembley those football fans would have been drinking all day lockdown or no lockdown

Liverpool fans acting pissed up and drunk ......oh Hillsborough was their fault

Wembley lot acting pissed up , causing carnage all day ......luckily nobody was killed ......move along nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Liverpool fans acting pissed up and drunk ......oh Hillsborough was their fault

Wembley lot acting pissed up , causing carnage all day ......luckily nobody was killed ......move along nothing to see here
    Sludge it's all to easy to get pissed or just play up at events then blame the police or stewards when it goes wrong.
    If fans had abided by the rules at Hillsborough and Wembley there is a good chance both would not have happened.
    I remember seeing fans breaking into Edgar Street and Brenford with lots of others without tickets if something had happened it was the fans who were to blame but no doubt people would say the gates should have had a stronger lock or more police/stewards behind them..
    If people behaved then most bad outcomes won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I honestly think that with England playing in the finalof a major tournament at Wembley those football fans would have been drinking all day lockdown or no lockdown
    Of course. I went on to expand upon what I meant in a second post.

I think booze fuelled a lot of it, but the fact they knew the ground physically had 20-30000 empty seats was the main reasoning for what happened, otherwise we would see that specific behaviour at lots of big games. Fact is of they got inside they could blend in. Can't do that normally.

Maybe it's a good thing that the world cup will be in Qatar next year.
    If England get to the final it will be interesting to see how they behave out there. Otherwise they may return home missing a couple of limbs

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    If England get to the final it will be interesting to see how they behave out there. Otherwise they may return home missing a couple of limbs
    The world cup is going to be a complete load of arse

Or arm

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I doubt we'll see many Russian or English or German or Welsh ot Italian or Spanish hooligans over there.

It's not going to be your usual holiday in the sun piss up type trip is it. No alcohol will factor into the behaviour I imagine..

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I doubt we'll see many Russian or English or German or Welsh ot Italian or Spanish hooligans over there.

It's not going to be your usual holiday in the sun piss up type trip is it. No alcohol will factor into the behaviour I imagine..
    There will be alcohol just in compound-type areas. I'm sure there will be spats for trouble but woe betide those that get nicked.

Tourists will still be good for alcohol, the hotels serve it

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There will be alcohol just in compound-type areas. I'm sure there will be spats for trouble but woe betide those that get nicked.
    I should have elaborated..people won't want to be walking around pissed up. Getting possed up at your hotel will be one thing, you'd have to be a fool to wander around there with a belly full and a bad attitude.. I can't see too many risking it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Tourists will still be good for alcohol, the hotels serve it
    The point I was getting at is people won't be wandering the streets in huge numbers pissed up....

The point I was getting at is people won't be wandering the streets in huge numbers pissed up....
    Sounds dreadful doesn't it.

Joking aside, I normally look into going to euros or World Cups, either for random games and a holiday or as part of a proper trip etc but I can't say I have taken any steps to attend this one. Partly covid I suppose, as all travel seems more of s hassle atm, but I can't say it appeals