+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Train travel yesterday.

Re: Train travel yesterday.

Do you have to wear a mask on public transport?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you have to wear a mask on public transport?
    In the article above it said yes.

I've not used it for yonks..

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59518933

Nothing to worry about, it’s all in hand.
    Well, either the situation has completely changed in the last four months or he's not got a bloody clue.

Reading some of the replies on this thread, it's almost as if some think we should be grateful to have any trains at all - my own view is that TTL should never have got close to being awarded the contract if what I saw on Saturday is the best they can offer even after making an allowance for Covid.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in thinking that, unlike other Valley Line routes, the service from Treherbert to Cardiff Central only operates along that route and does not go on to places like Barry, Bridgend and Penarth like others do. Therefore, for that service anyway, I see no reason why they could not ensure that all trains running on a Saturday three weeks before Christmas consisted of four carriages.

I turned up at Treherbert station on Saturday at around midday to catch my first train in over a year and, having given up on trying to buy a ticket from the non responsive machine on the platform, groaned to myself when I saw that the approaching train only had two two carriages. Pre Covid, I used to use such trains to get to matches regularly and knew how crowded a two carriage train got, so I was expecting it to be bad, but it turned out to be worse than any I caught pre Covid - if I knew that a two carriage train was too small for the requirements of this particular service, why on earth didn't the person who authorised such a small train?

The line to Treherbert is a single track from Porth onwards apart from at Ystryd station which has two platforms where trains can pass each other. Invariably, this leads to short delays while the other train makes its way to the only place where they can pass, but there was none of that on Saturday on either journey because there was not another train coming from the other direction - like so many others, it had been cancelled.

I was on one of the new trains for both journeys and in terms of getting squashed like sardines (that Tory councillor in the link is spot on based on my experience on Saturday), they are no different from the old ones - as mentioned in my first post, people gave up trying to get on the train at Llandaff because it was so crowded.

Is it unreasonable to expect a size of train which is able to fit demand? Is it reasonable to expect advertised trains to actually run and not be cancelled at short notice?

As for masks, I'd say about seventy five per cent of passengers were wearing them and that the huge majority of those who weren't were under thirty - I'm not too bothered about the possibility of catching Covid having had my booster ten days before travelling, but, if I can describe it this way, I've not been in a more Covid friendly situation than when I was on that crowded train from Treherbert on Saturday (to be fair, the other three trains I caught weren't as bad as the first one).

One other thing, because I didn't see a ticket collector on either journey I didn't have to pay a penny in fares (the fact I tried to buy tickets from the machine at Treherbert station proves I was not trying to dodge payment). It happened about half of the times I'd travel to and from games pre Covid as well. The truth is that, unless you're getting off at Cardiff Central or Queen Street where you have to have a ticket to get out of the building, it's so easy to travel on these trains without paying - I'm not complaining because I reckon it's saved me around £100 since I moved up here, but just think of all the money the operators are missing out on, money which could be ploughed into trying to avoid the sort of situation which arose on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, either the situation has completely changed in the last four months or he's not got a bloody clue.

Reading some of the replies on this thread, it's almost as if some think we should be grateful to have any trains at all - my own view is that TTL should never have got close to being awarded the contract if what I saw on Saturday is the best they can offer even after making an allowance for Covid.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in thinking that, unlike other Valley Line routes, the service from Treherbert to Cardiff Central only operates along that route and does not go on to places like Barry, Bridgend and Penarth like others do. Therefore, for that service anyway, I see no reason why they could not ensure that all trains running on a Saturday three weeks before Christmas consisted of four carriages.

I turned up at Treherbert station on Saturday at around midday to catch my first train in over a year and, having given up on trying to buy a ticket from the non responsive machine on the platform, groaned to myself when I saw that the approaching train only had two two carriages. Pre Covid, I used to use such trains to get to matches regularly and knew how crowded a two carriage train got, so I was expecting it to be bad, but it turned out to be worse than any I caught pre Covid - if I knew that a two carriage train was too small for the requirements of this particular service, why on earth didn't the person who authorised such a small train?

The line to Treherbert is a single track from Porth onwards apart from at Ystryd station which has two platforms where trains can pass each other. Invariably, this leads to short delays while the other train makes its way to the only place where they can pass, but there was none of that on Saturday on either journey because there was not another train coming from the other direction - like so many others, it had been cancelled.

I was on one of the new trains for both journeys and in terms of getting squashed like sardines (that Tory councillor in the link is spot on based on my experience on Saturday), they are no different from the old ones - as mentioned in my first post, people gave up trying to get on the train at Llandaff because it was so crowded.

Is it unreasonable to expect a size of train which is able to fit demand? Is it reasonable to expect advertised trains to actually run and not be cancelled at short notice?

As for masks, I'd say about seventy five per cent of passengers were wearing them and that the huge majority of those who weren't were under thirty - I'm not too bothered about the possibility of catching Covid having had my booster ten days before travelling, but, if I can describe it this way, I've not been in a more Covid friendly situation than when I was on that crowded train from Treherbert on Saturday (to be fair, the other three trains I caught weren't as bad as the first one).
    It couuld be possible, Bob, that the Treherbert train doesn't just run back and forth Treherbert and Cardiff Central all day. Some services are terminated at central station, could it be that there they are re routed, and someone somewhere in an office behind a computer has a bit more of an idea what's going on?

Getting to and from the ground on a match seems to be more difficult than ever on public transport. Seems to be a nightmare for those living outside the city. Those of us who just want to get there from town have been let down badly by the demise of the football bus. Why it’s been stopped without explanation is baffling.

Still staff shortages this morning .
    Can someone explain how the new trains will help the situation, because that seems to be TFW's defence at the moment?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wsApp_AppShare

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Getting to and from the ground on a match seems to be more difficult than ever on public transport. Seems to be a nightmare for those living outside the city. Those of us who just want to get there from town have been let down badly by the demise of the football bus. Why it’s been stopped without explanation is baffling.
    I agree with this. The club could do so much more in terms of match-day travel. It's bad for able-bodied supporters, imagine what its like for disabled supporters? The answer is, a lot won't be able to go in both groups which is ridiculous. A shuttle service would be a start. Integrate travel and ticket to home matches too.

I get that frustration. It can be as bad coming down from Aberdare.

There is one simple reason all trains can't be 4 car units all day on one route - rolling stock. There aren't the carriages available unless you take them off other route. Then you have issues elsewhere.

It all stems from the last contract ATW were awarded, which failed to consider the amount of growth in passengers over the period. Since then TfW have been playing catch up. They also retired the old Pacers as they were not DDA compliant.

It's not even as simple as borrowing some units from other TOCs. Across the UK there is a shortage of actual carriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

There is one simple reason all trains can't be 4 car units all day on one route - rolling stock. There aren't the carriages available unless you take them off other route. Then you have issues elsewhere.

It all stems from the last contract ATW were awarded, which failed to consider the amount of growth in passengers over the period. Since then TfW have been playing catch up. They also retired the old Pacers as they were not DDA compliant.

It's not even as simple as borrowing some units from other TOCs. Across the UK there is a shortage of actual carriages.
    Claps..

Much of it is down to Covid. There are similarities with the bus industry where there are driver shortages.
    I don't get it - is there ANY industry without shortages?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don't get it - is there ANY industry without shortages?
    Railways. Very often too many men signed up with companies for the work they have available..

Can the Pacers be attached to the back of modern units? ie, the train is DDA compliabt but not all carriages are.

It did strike me when TfL were making a lot of noise about getting rid of the 'hated' Pacers. I'd rather four of them on a busy service than two modern carriages.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Can the Pacers be attached to the back of modern units? ie, the train is DDA compliabt but not all carriages are.

It did strike me when TfL were making a lot of noise about getting rid of the 'hated' Pacers. I'd rather four of them on a busy service than two modern carriages.
    You'd imagine if they could..they would.

Having had my booster ten days ago, I decided to do what I wouldn’t have done before that and caught the train to yesterday’s game. I’d been wary of getting on a packed train at Ninian Park to travel to Cardiff central after the match, but it was just as bad on the train down from Treherbert - it was just two carriages and soon filled up to that extent that it was too crowded for many of those waiting at Llandaff station to get on.

Then, when I got off at Cardiff Central there were notices alerting travellers as to widespread cancellations on Valley Line trains which I learned was down to a lack of guards and it was impossible to tell whether scheduled trains would be running until about an hour before they were due to leave. I must admit that, with a train to Treherbert waiting to leave a few yards away from me, I was minded to jump on it and go straight back home, but I was assured that if I went to the game, I’d definitely be able to get home, but it maybe later than planned.

After the game, I decided to wait at the ground for a while and catch the second train to leave Ninian Park at a quarter to six only to find that the earlier one was cancelled and that turned out to be a bit of a waste of time, but the good news was that the scheduled train from Cardiff Central to Treherbert was running and, although crowded for much of the journey, it was as bad as the one to Cardiff had been earlier.

However, it seems to that a lack of guards hardly is something that would be seasonal brought on by Christmas (I suppose it might have something to do with Covid?) and so is it a normal occurrence now to have so many trains cancelled? If it is, it’s another case of things not working as well as they once did in this country (eg A and E in Cardiff, empty shelves in supermarkets, a shortage of lorry drivers, no power to people for nine days at least etc. etc) - is the UK slowly going to pot?
    Your best bet Bob is to move to Sloper Road, you won’t have a problem then. Overcrowding of trains isn’t a new problem, it’s been one for years, lack of rolling stock is the problem no matter what excuse they come out with. It’s better for them to have crowded trains than to spend on new stock. Greed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Still staff shortages this morning .
    Can someone explain how the new trains will help the situation, because that seems to be TFW's defence at the moment?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wsApp_AppShare
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Your best bet Bob is to move to Sloper Road, you won’t have a problem then. Overcrowding of trains isn’t a new problem, it’s been one for years, lack of rolling stock is the problem no matter what excuse they come out with. It’s better for them to have crowded trains than to spend on new stock. Greed.

Service over the weekend was bloody horrendous. Cancellations galore from tfw. Tfw management have to take a lot of blame for the current situation, other operators aren't having the same problems as they are. All they seem interested in is putting up posters saying how good it will be in 2 years, seemingly no interest in running a decent service in the present

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Service over the weekend was bloody horrendous. Cancellations galore from tfw. Tfw management have to take a lot of blame for the current situation, other operators aren't having the same problems as they are. All they seem interested in is putting up posters saying how good it will be in 2 years, seemingly no interest in running a decent service in the present
    They don't have the rolling stock

This thread is bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

This thread is bonkers.
    This thread is not bonkers, this thread reflects the truly awful service provided on a Saturday just before Christmas- I bet more of this problem from the previous weekend played a part in it as well.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...aused-22303462

This thread is bonkers.

The service is horrendous, why do you feel the need to deny that ? Tfw management have been too slow to get a handle on the ridiculous 769 situation. There is also a big staffing problem at tfw presently, and that's also a situation that tfw management should have got a grip of. The current service is disgraceful, it's not fair on passengers, and it's not fair on the front line tfw staff.

The service is horrendous, why do you feel the need to deny that ? Tfw management have been too slow to get a handle on the ridiculous 769 situation. There is also a big staffing problem at tfw presently, and that's also a situation that tfw management should have got a grip of. The current service is disgraceful, it's not fair on passengers, and it's not fair on the front line tfw staff.
    "Seemingly not interested in running a decent service in the mean time"

They don't have the rolling stock to keep up with the demand. Obviously service is going to suffer as a consequence.

People are making out like they are doing it for no reason and can't be arsed.

This thread is not bonkers, this thread reflects the truly awful service provided on a Saturday just before Christmas- I bet more of this problem from the previous weekend played a part in it as well.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...aused-22303462
    Service issues which are down to not enough carriages..they don't have enough rolling stock. I feel Sludge repeating that point over and over in this thread.

Service issues which are down to not enough carriages..they don't have enough rolling stock. I feel Sludge repeating that point over and over in this thread.
    And I feel the same way with you just parroting a line which you seem to think makes the whole thing perfectly acceptable- have a look at these pictures, they’d be bad enough under normal circumstances, but in a pandemic?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wales-22229883

"Seemingly not interested in running a decent service in the mean time"

They don't have the rolling stock to keep up with the demand. Obviously service is going to suffer as a consequence.

People are making out like they are doing it for no reason and can't be arsed.
    That was maybe slightly hyperbolic, I will admit. But I don't think it's too far from the truth. I'm not normally into a 'blame it on the board ' type mentality, but I think it is perfectly justified in this situation. The service has been an absolute joke for months, their crewing issues seem to be the worst in the country. There has been too much silly pr and promises from tfw, with nowhere near enough delivery.

That was maybe slightly hyperbolic, I will admit. But I don't think it's too far from the truth. I'm not normally into a 'blame it on the board ' type mentality, but I think it is perfectly justified in this situation. The service has been an absolute joke for months, their crewing issues seem to be the worst in the country. There has been too much silly pr and promises from tfw, with nowhere near enough delivery.
    They don't have all the new trains yet they are still being built.