+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personalised Number Plates

Re: Personalised Number Plates

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Do I have to have the registration plates on the car that were on it when I bought it when I sell it is what I wanted to ask, had a long day yesterday didn't come out right or can it be sold with different plates when I come to sell it. I know Jack about cars as you can maybe tell : hehe:
    Usually it reverts back to the old plates, that's if you want to keep your own plates.
    You can leave your plates on the car if you don't want them.
    Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Anyone got a TBG plate?
    There's loads on DVLA site . Make you look like a right tosser though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Usually it reverts back to the old plates, that's if you want to keep your own plates.
    You can leave your plates on the car if you don't want them.
    Does that answer your question?
    A mate said I have to put the plates on the car that were on it when I bought it, when I sell it (sorry if I'm going a roundabout way in saying something so simple

My plan was a short term plan was to sell the ones already on the car, that were on it when I bought it, get the new ones I've seen which would mean spending out about the same money as I would on a takeaway with the cost difference in both.

Then when I sell the car I wouldn't be arsed about losing the "personalised" plate as they are 64 plates and would have no room on the new car if and when I decide to get one.

I've checked the same plate allbthe way from 64 up to newer 71 and they are all available bar the one, 68 plate, so I know I'll have no issues getting a newer version of the plate when I wvwntually get a newer model car..

Sorry for the long read, but my mate was adamant the plates registered to the car had to be on it when I sold it (meaning I can't sell them and would just have to pay out for the new ones bo big fortune anyway at 360 quid all in)

Cheers for the help Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    My nephew bought a second hand car which, by pure coincidence, has his initials as the 3 letters at the end. Accusations of conceit, ego etc are aimed at him, jokingly, at every opportunity to the extent that he can’t wait to change the car.

Some years ago I once contacted the DVLA about resurrecting a number plate that was on a car that my father once owned which would have brought back many memories. The letters don’t resemble my name ar all (unless I change my name to Jayne Mansfield!). However I was told that number plates on scrapped vehicles can’t be resurrected. Pity, it would have been nice for old times same.
    Same here. I wanted CTG 54V from my first car - a Talbot Horizon and got told that it had been scrapped.
    It’s a real shame because you’d think there’s a money pot there for the Government. They could assign the chassis number (VIN) to another number - not a reg - and release the plate, but that would be too complicated.
    On the subject of personalised plates, my Dad had one which had the name of his business, so we bought it off my Mum to keep it in the family when he passed and put in my wife’s car, as she wanted one.
    Personally, I’m not bothered by them. Some people spend a fortune on their golf or their aftershave collection, so live and let live, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    A mate said I have to put the plates on the car that were on it when I bought it, when I sell it (sorry if I'm going a roundabout way in saying something so simple

My plan was a short term plan was to sell the ones already on the car, that were on it when I bought it, get the new ones I've seen which would mean spending out about the same money as I would on a takeaway with the cost difference in both.

Then when I sell the car I wouldn't be arsed about losing the "personalised" plate as they are 64 plates and would have no room on the new car if and when I decide to get one.

I've checked the same plate allbthe way from 64 up to newer 71 and they are all available bar the one, 68 plate, so I know I'll have no issues getting a newer version of the plate when I wvwntually get a newer model car..

Sorry for the long read, but my mate was adamant the plates registered to the car had to be on it when I sold it (meaning I can't sell them and would just have to pay out for the new ones bo big fortune anyway at 360 quid all in)

Cheers for the help Jimmy.
    Ah right .
    No you can sell the originals . They are yours with the car.
    DVLA would issue new plates if you kept tour personal number plate (which you ownt so the car will go with your personal number on it.
    I sold a van to a guy before (one I had bought in) and the previous owner had forgotten to take his personal plate of the van .
    I went to the guy who had bought the van and asked him for the plate back, he just said no.... because he had bought the van with the personal number plate on it , he had bought the plate as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Ah right .
    No you can sell the originals . They are yours with the car.
    DVLA would issue new plates if you kept tour personal number plate (which you ownt so the car will go with your personal number on it.
    I sold a van to a guy before (one I had bought in) and the previous owner had forgotten to take his personal plate of the van .
    I went to the guy who had bought the van and asked him for the plate back, he just said no.... because he had bought the van with the personal number plate on it , he had bought the plate as well....
    My delboy scheme is up the river. What a plonker I am.

It's £358 all in, even gone 5mm raised font to be an extra ****

Seems a bit weird, what an idiot who would he do that, baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Same here. I wanted CTG 54V from my first car - a Talbot Horizon and got told that it had been scrapped.
    It’s a real shame because you’d think there’s a money pot there for the Government. They could assign the chassis number (VIN) to another number - not a reg - and release the plate, but that would be too complicated.
    On the subject of personalised plates, my Dad had one which had the name of his business, so we bought it off my Mum to keep it in the family when he passed and put in my wife’s car, as she wanted one.
    Personally, I’m not bothered by them. Some people spend a fortune on their golf or their aftershave collection, so live and let live, eh!
    I recently took a plate of a car I had sorned . It had no tax or mot. If it hadn't been sorned I doubt I would have been able to take the plate of a car without an MOT.

While the car you're taking the private plate from doesn't need to have an MOT, it must be able to move under its own power, and must have been taxed or been SORN'd for the last five years. The DVLA may also need to inspect your car before approving or turning down your application.

I've changed my mind on this somewhat. I was firmly in the personalised plates pale you look like a poser camp, but thinking about it, when I was 10 I probably thought they were cool as ****, just because I've become a joyless hollowed out shell of a person in my 40s doesn't mean that everyone should

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've changed my mind on this somewhat. I was firmly in the personalised plates pale you look like a poser camp, but thinking about it, when I was 10 I probably thought they were cool as ****, just because I've become a joyless hollowed out shell of a person in my 40s doesn't mean that everyone should
    Good for you, if you want to impress 10 year olds then who's anyone to stop you

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    But he's thinking this as if he were 10 again.

At least that's how I think these memories from childhood posts work when posters mentions an age.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I remember when I was 10
    We lived quite close to a main road .

I used to see posh , fancy cars go by and thought to myself . One day I will have one of them .
    Needles to say they are collectors cars now but I have managed to fulfil my dreams

How many would be allowed to have PEN 15? Always runs through my head when I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How many would be allowed to have PEN 15? Always runs through my head when I see one.
    You're just jealous because you haven't been successful enough to have a personalised number plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're just jealous because you haven't been successful enough to have a personalised number plate.
    Grrrrr...rumbled

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I have a mate with who’s plate starts “PN15”

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I have a mate with who’s plate starts “PN15”
    My missus current plate starts BJ08

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My missus current plate starts BJ08
    Are they like clockwork 👀

There used to be a car in Cardiff (think it was a Cortina or Granada) with the plate OBO110X

Great news. Plates are cheaper on DVLA website. Another oner saved.

I’m not a fan of personalised plates but both my girls have them
    They actually read their first names and initials which is something they can take with them through life.
    My cousin however had the personal registration plate ER 2
    His name is Eddie Rabaiotti and the family owned several restaurants and take aways on Penarth seafront.
    His former restaurant “The Caprice” hosted a dinner in 1982 after the Pope’s mass in Llandaff fields
    He was made a “Knight of the order of St Gregory” by Pope John Paul and Prince Charles attended offering Eddie a hundred grand for the plate which he declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    They actually read their first names and initials which is something they can take with them through life.
    His name is Eddie Rabaiotti and the family owned several restaurants and take aways on Penarth seafront.
    His former restaurant “The Caprice” hosted a dinner in 1982 after the Pope’s mass in Llandaff fields
    He was made a “Knight of the order of St Gregory” by Pope John Paul and Prince Charles attended offering Eddie a hundred grand for the plate which he declined.
    This sounds like an urban legend.

I had a personal plate for 15 years or more. Mrs M had one as well. Mine also matched one of my email addresses. But we have just scrapped our two old cars to buy one new motor for us to share.

We decided to let the personal plates die with the cars. Too old now to be stressed about transfers, retentions and extra paperwork.

More than happy with my new motor and the gov issued plate that came with it (which starts CF)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I bet Charles has ER1 too in his family, but a £100k almost 40 years ago would have been close to a £1m worth today!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I had a personal plate for 15 years or more. Mrs M had one as well. Mine also matched one of my email addresses. But we have just scrapped our two old cars to buy one new motor for us to share.

We decided to let the personal plates die with the cars. Too old now to be stressed about transfers, retentions and extra paperwork.

More than happy with my new motor and the gov issued plate that came with it (which starts CF)
    You would be . Its a way of saying look at my new motor ...my brand spanking new motor ...

To display my status in society, rather than have a personalised plate, I've got a bumper sticker on my Porsche that says My Other Car is a Focus 🙂