+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You're kind of proving my point by comparing the democratically elected former president to the Chinese communist party. The two arent remotely comparable, and thats kinda the point.

Many people get overly exercised on smaller issues, and ignore far greater crimes.

You can oppose both of course, but I see few examples of that.
    They were your examples, ya goon.

And the idea that the majority of people who oppose Trump are supporting China's treatment of the Uyghurs is absolutely mad.

Apart from that, very nice post, 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They were your examples, ya goon.

And the idea that the majority of people who oppose Trump are supporting China's treatment of the Uyghurs is absolutely mad.

Apart from that, very nice post, 8/10.
    Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not the Uighur concentration camps!)

That's the point, the differences are absolutely stark yet people barely focus on the unarguably far more evil behaviour. I don't know why. Not trendy I guess. Maybe because we feel we cant make a difference?

I think people really should redirect some of their rage away from "middle class lefty" causes and towards some of the truly authoritarian and regressive stuff going on in the world, much of it is in China and needs a light being shone on it far more. When we focus on luxury issues, we give repressive regimes a free pass.

So in that sense, if the US helps achieve that, even whilst I dont like sport and politics mixing too much, then it's a good thing.

Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not th Uighur concentration camps!)

Thats the point, the differences are absolutely stark.

I think people really should redirect some of their rage away from "middle class lefty" causes and towards some of the truly authoritarian and regressive stuff going on in the world, much of it is in China and needs a light being shone on it far more. When we focus on luxury issues, we give repressive regimes a free pass.

So in that sense, if the US helps achieve that, even whilst I dont like sport and politics mixing too much, then it's a good thing.
    I don't disagree with the general point you're making, and totally agree that China gets away with murder whilst people cry foul about other stuff, but I'd be fascinated to know what you consider a "luxury issue"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't disagree with the general point you're making, and totally agree that China gets away with murder whilst people cry foul about other stuff, but I'd be fascinated to know what you consider a "luxury issue"
    Fair question. For me it's things like trying to get speakers you don't like banned, trying to shame advertisers off TV channels you dont watch, writing hysterical things about newspapers you don't read. A disproportionate response to statues, perceived accusations of sexism, racism, fascism etc that rarely hold up to scrutiny, especially when said person actively ignores those things when they really happen.

I do balance that against the fact that what happens in ones own country is of course more important and also that we do and should hold democracies to a greater level of scrutiny.

But, I just think the balance isn't there, and being lectured by people who care more about stopping Fairy Liquid from advertising on GB news or injustices 200 years ago than literal concerntration camps and mass denial of rights in 2021 does grate somewhat.

I remember growing up, the left honourably objected to the treatment of Tibet, to apartheid South Africa (a little before my time) and unjust wars. That was my experience, and why I was very left-wing in my youth - I used to be a member of the Respect Party. Now it seems they get riled up by speakers at universities and shouting at old statues.

The right rarely protest against anything, so aren't any better, but at least they are less sanctimonious about it all.

Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not the Uighur concentration camps!)

That's the point, the differences are absolutely stark yet people barely focus on the unarguably far more evil behaviour. I don't know why. Not trendy I guess. Maybe because we feel we cant make a difference?

Please copy and paste the sentence where I compared Trump and the CCP.

I agree that more should be made of what China is doing with the Uyghurs, but the US boycott is nothing to do with it. And the bit about lefties disliking trump is definitely nothing to do with it.