+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

Following on from the WTA suspension of all chinese events

Yet we're celebrating Qatar like some sort of milestone.

About time people started standing up for what is right. Well done USA

Re: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

What do you mean, we're celebrating Qatar? Everyone hates it going there, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What do you mean, we're celebrating Qatar? Everyone hates it going there, don't we?
    We in the figurative. Meant fifa and the football world.

Qatar should have been scrapped long ago but unfortunately money talks

its only a diplomatic boycott though isn't it ? so just no White House official representation

the USA Athletes will still compete

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    its only a diplomatic boycott though isn't it ? so just no White House official representation

the USA Athletes will still compete
    As far as I’m aware athletes can choose to compete but not under the USA banner

It’s a start

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Following on from the WTA suspension of all chinese events

Yet we're celebrating Qatar like some sort of milestone.

About time people started standing up for what is right. Well done USA
    Celebrating the USA on human rights. WTF?

The officials aren't going . That's all ...

Man on messageboard saves world by moaning on messageboard.

We in the figurative. Meant fifa and the football world.

Qatar should have been scrapped long ago but unfortunately money talks
    Qatar's state-owned utility company is one of FIFA's major sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Celebrating the USA on human rights. WTF?
    Come on Eric, it's not like they're barking mad https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-massie-trump

I generally don't agree with sport and politics mixing. The Olympics is an arena where public officials can mix and start to normalise relationships.

That said, it is a persistent source of annoyance hwo many people, esp on the left, would always get so apoplectic with rage over, for example, a Trump tweet and never say anything about China. "Nasty tweet - Furious! Concentration camps for Uighurs - no comment."

So in that sense I am glad that the US is highlighting the increasingly authoritarian, dangerous and power hungry Chinese regime. It's not Mao yet they are positioning themselves into a position of global dominance

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I generally don't agree with sport and politics mixing. The Olympics is an arena where public officials can mix and start to normalise relationships.

That said, it is a persistent source of annoyance hwo many people, esp on the left, would always get so apoplectic with rage over, for example, a Trump tweet and never say anything about China. "Nasty tweet - Furious! Concentration camps for Uighurs - no comment."

So in that sense I am glad that the US is highlighting the increasingly authoritarian, dangerous and power hungry Chinese regime. It's not Mao yet they are positioning themselves into a position of global dominance
    I think that ship has sailed. Meanwhile, the US Republican Party lurches to far right extremism and is the bigger threat. I"m not defending any authoritarian regime either, but, whilst we've been squabbling in Europe and the US has lost the plot, China will be way ahead technologically and can dominate using a mouse and keyboard.

Perhaps there is a factor involved whereby people expect better behaviour and human rights from countries that are supposedly democracies rather than autocratic and theocratic countries where human rights have always been in short supply.

I've seen plenty of people defending Trump on here, and I've never seen a single post defending Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs.

Even this boycott is nothing to do with the Uyghurs whatsoever, not even close, so it's an odd argument you're making.

I've seen plenty of people defending Trump on here, and I've never seen a single post defending Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs.

Even this boycott is nothing to do with the Uyghurs whatsoever, not even close, so it's an odd argument you're making.
    You're kind of proving my point by comparing the democratically elected former president to the Chinese communist party. The two arent remotely comparable, and thats kinda the point.

Many people get overly exercised on smaller issues, and ignore far greater crimes.

You can oppose both of course, but I see few examples of that.

This will mean nothing until teams and athletes pull out it would hit the pockets hard and force the likes of China, Russia, Qatar to become inclusive, diverse and truly democratic, sadly these countries know we can be bought off so easily with corporate sponsorship licking thier lies, we offer pathetic gestures in the name of so called outrage .

You're kind of proving my point by comparing the democratically elected former president to the Chinese communist party. The two arent remotely comparable, and thats kinda the point.

Many people get overly exercised on smaller issues, and ignore far greater crimes.

You can oppose both of course, but I see few examples of that.
    They were your examples, ya goon.

And the idea that the majority of people who oppose Trump are supporting China's treatment of the Uyghurs is absolutely mad.

Apart from that, very nice post, 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Man on messageboard saves world by moaning on messageboard.
    Look what's happened recently with people moaning

Even locally, it's kept 2 Camarthenshire schools open.

If the moaning become the majority change happens. It's the apathy that often allows many to get away with stuff

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This will mean nothing until teams and athletes pull out it would hit the pockets hard and force the likes of China, Russia, Qatar to become inclusive, diverse and truly democratic, sadly these countries know we can be bought off so easily with corporate sponsorship licking thier lies, we offer pathetic gestures in the name of so called outrage .
    I think the US has tried to force democracy on countries, with variable success.

Look what's happened recently with people moaning

Even locally, it's kept 2 Camarthenshire schools open.

If the moaning become the majority change happens. It's the apathy that often allows many to get away with stuff
    Saves the world.

They were your examples, ya goon.

And the idea that the majority of people who oppose Trump are supporting China's treatment of the Uyghurs is absolutely mad.

Apart from that, very nice post, 8/10.
    Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not the Uighur concentration camps!)

That's the point, the differences are absolutely stark yet people barely focus on the unarguably far more evil behaviour. I don't know why. Not trendy I guess. Maybe because we feel we cant make a difference?

I think people really should redirect some of their rage away from "middle class lefty" causes and towards some of the truly authoritarian and regressive stuff going on in the world, much of it is in China and needs a light being shone on it far more. When we focus on luxury issues, we give repressive regimes a free pass.

So in that sense, if the US helps achieve that, even whilst I dont like sport and politics mixing too much, then it's a good thing.

Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not th Uighur concentration camps!)

Thats the point, the differences are absolutely stark.

I think people really should redirect some of their rage away from "middle class lefty" causes and towards some of the truly authoritarian and regressive stuff going on in the world, much of it is in China and needs a light being shone on it far more. When we focus on luxury issues, we give repressive regimes a free pass.

So in that sense, if the US helps achieve that, even whilst I dont like sport and politics mixing too much, then it's a good thing.
    I don't disagree with the general point you're making, and totally agree that China gets away with murder whilst people cry foul about other stuff, but I'd be fascinated to know what you consider a "luxury issue"

We do, the biggest sign of corruption in FIFA we ever seen…..

captain whattaboutary strikes again

Nah, ya plonker, I'm saying they aren't comparable. And then you implied they were (by saying...well, I've seen people praise Trump, but not the Uighur concentration camps!)

That's the point, the differences are absolutely stark yet people barely focus on the unarguably far more evil behaviour. I don't know why. Not trendy I guess. Maybe because we feel we cant make a difference?

Please copy and paste the sentence where I compared Trump and the CCP.

I agree that more should be made of what China is doing with the Uyghurs, but the US boycott is nothing to do with it. And the bit about lefties disliking trump is definitely nothing to do with it.