+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

Re: US boycotts Beijing winter games 2022

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't disagree with the general point you're making, and totally agree that China gets away with murder whilst people cry foul about other stuff, but I'd be fascinated to know what you consider a "luxury issue"
    Fair question. For me it's things like trying to get speakers you don't like banned, trying to shame advertisers off TV channels you dont watch, writing hysterical things about newspapers you don't read. A disproportionate response to statues, perceived accusations of sexism, racism, fascism etc that rarely hold up to scrutiny, especially when said person actively ignores those things when they really happen.

I do balance that against the fact that what happens in ones own country is of course more important and also that we do and should hold democracies to a greater level of scrutiny.

But, I just think the balance isn't there, and being lectured by people who care more about stopping Fairy Liquid from advertising on GB news or injustices 200 years ago than literal concerntration camps and mass denial of rights in 2021 does grate somewhat.

I remember growing up, the left honourably objected to the treatment of Tibet, to apartheid South Africa (a little before my time) and unjust wars. That was my experience, and why I was very left-wing in my youth - I used to be a member of the Respect Party. Now it seems they get riled up by speakers at universities and shouting at old statues.

The right rarely protest against anything, so aren't any better, but at least they are less sanctimonious about it all.

Was just reading the USA pulled out of the 1980 Olympics in Russia due to the hosts invading Afghanistan….I reckon more countries will pull out of this games (athletes) if it goes ahead anyway…..

It's a Micky Mouse Olympic event , silly pale skin people sliding around on ice and snow , it's very unfair to warmer climate countries and people's ( no skiing in deserts) just pull out ' let's it go ' as the Frozen song goes

They will represent their nation, all it means is that the VP or any dignitaries will not attend.

Seems a bit mad to boycott the Olympics but inevitable dive head on into Qatar

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Seems a bit mad to boycott the Olympics but inevitable dive head on into Qatar
    It's not a boycott. It's a diplomatic boycott. Some officials won't go.