+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Sugar were a great band

  1. #1

    Sugar were a great band

    https://youtu.be/lXFiycUbG3I

    Great stabbing melodic riffing

  2. #2

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/lXFiycUbG3I

    Great stabbing melodic riffing
    Stop spoiling the forum with shit music threads

  3. #3

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/lXFiycUbG3I

    Great stabbing melodic riffing
    I thought you hated indie?! 🤔 More a fan of the Huskers but Sugar definitely had their moments, especially ‘copper blue’.

  4. #4

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I thought you hated indie?! 🤔 More a fan of the Huskers but Sugar definitely had their moments, especially ‘copper blue’.
    Sugar and Husker du were alternative rock bands , heavy on the guitars

    Pixies ......lumped in with the students but very aggressive guitar

    Copper Blue is a great album

    I thought Sugar had a better sound , Husker Du sound dated now I think

  5. #5

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    https://youtu.be/IomW6HqxbtM

    Great solo on this

  6. #6

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sugar and Husker du were alternative rock bands , heavy on the guitars

    Pixies ......lumped in with the students but very aggressive guitar

    Copper Blue is a great album

    I thought Sugar had a better sound , Husker Du sound dated now I think
    Just pulling your leg pal. However if I were asked what sort of music Sugar were my immediate answer would be indie rock. Husker Du were more varied and the first few records are more buzzsaw hardcore punk than anything. Can appreciate your point about their sound though, they tended to be a little tinny and thin but otherwise I like 80s productions generally on records of that period.

    Have seen Bob Mould perform a couple times and both have been enjoyable with plenty of songs by both chucked in.

  7. #7

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Just pulling your leg pal. However if I were asked what sort of music Sugar were my immediate answer would be indie rock. Husker Du were more varied and the first few records are more buzzsaw hardcore punk than anything. Can appreciate your point about their sound though, they tended to be a little tinny and thin but otherwise I like 80s productions generally on records of that period.

    Have seen Bob Mould perform a couple times and both have been enjoyable with plenty of songs by both chucked in.
    Gill Norton I believe ?

    Black Flag early stuff was tinny in the same way

  8. #8

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    As it has now been established that the term "indie" only applies to bands that Sludge thinks it should, would he care to elaborate? I'd appreciate a general definition and some examples. Please don't mention students. They're not a monolith and they don't all like the same bands.

  9. #9

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    As it has now been established that the term "indie" only applies to bands that Sludge thinks it should, would he care to elaborate? I'd appreciate a general definition and some examples. Please don't mention students. They're not a monolith and they don't all like the same bands.
    Sugar are a guitar driven rock band , they are a rock band , stick em on 4AD , stick em on EMI , they are a rock band

    The same goes for the pixies , buffalo tom , Jesus lizard , Butthole Surfers , big black , rollins band , throwing muses , shellac, dinosaur jnr , Melvins , rolling band

    Everybody knows that indie is about floppy haired students

    You can tell you are talking to an indie fan .....they read about rock bands like smashing pumpkins in the NME and go yeah great band man !

    Next week they turn up in kerrang or rock sound etc and they don't like them because they don't like heavy metal

    Indie bands are lightweight naff for students afraid of heavy riffs

    It's got nothing to do with what label a bands on , it's to do with the sound

    Have it

  10. #10

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Bob Mold of Sugar playing Globe very soon 23 Jan 2022.

  11. #11

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bob Mold of Sugar playing Globe very soon 23 Jan 2022.
    Black sheets of rain is heavy going

  12. #12

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Black sheets of rain is heavy going
    Yes indeed I've seen him on most of his tours since Husku , just a great entertainer he covers all aspects of his career , as long as he covers Hoover Dam I'm well set .

    This us the set list In USA for the same tour :
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-m...-3b8d58d8.html

  13. #13

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    I like some “Indie” music and I like some metal. I also like some hard rock and acts playing many other styles.
    I guess that makes me confused or schizophrenic… 🤪

  14. #14

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I like some “Indie” music and I like some metal. I also like some hard rock and acts playing many other styles.
    I guess that makes me confused or schizophrenic… 🤪
    This should help as it covers what you've listed .


    https://youtu.be/J1sYN0PuRs4

    And this
    https://youtu.be/utyjfINKbSM

  15. #15

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sugar are a guitar driven rock band , they are a rock band , stick em on 4AD , stick em on EMI , they are a rock band

    The same goes for the pixies , buffalo tom , Jesus lizard , Butthole Surfers , big black , rollins band , throwing muses , shellac, dinosaur jnr , Melvins , rolling band

    Everybody knows that indie is about floppy haired students

    You can tell you are talking to an indie fan .....they read about rock bands like smashing pumpkins in the NME and go yeah great band man !

    Next week they turn up in kerrang or rock sound etc and they don't like them because they don't like heavy metal

    Indie bands are lightweight naff for students afraid of heavy riffs

    It's got nothing to do with what label a bands on , it's to do with the sound

    Have it
    Do Primal Scream fit into that category?

  16. #16

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    What about Teenage Fanclub?

  17. #17

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What about Teenage Fanclub?
    The fannies were indie imo

  18. #18

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do Primal Scream fit into that category?
    Indie

  19. #19

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Super Furry Animals?

  20. #20

    Re: Sugar were a great band

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Super Furry Animals?
    Student indie type band , some nice sounds

    But not a rock band like Sugar or Melvins or Big Black were

    There is clearly a difference . Snow Patrol another indie type of band

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •