+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: our former managers

our former managers

I think this is right, but by my reckoning none of our former managers are currently in a managerial position.

that probably says something about either managing us, or the career in general.

Re: our former managers

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think this is right, but by my reckoning none of our former managers are currently in a managerial position.

that probably says something about either managing us, or the career in general.
    Whay you reckon Warnock will get one more hit at it? I'm going for Barnsley, cos he's always had a soft spot for them.

Banned

Malky in the Scottish Premier with Ross County

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Malky in the Scottish Premier with Ross County
    I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Whay you reckon Warnock will get one more hit at it? I'm going for Barnsley, cos he's always had a soft spot for them.
    His kind of people.

Has any recent City manager gone on to a clearly bigger club than us after they left? Ole definitely did although whether he would have found a job with another club close to Man United's standing is very arguable and Sheffield Wednesday fans would tell us, rightly I'd say, that their club is bigger than City, but I can't think of anyone else - Malky was on the brink of joining Palace at one time, but didn't.

As for the others. Slade must realise now that he's not going to be a manager in the full time game again. Trollope looks to have settled for Assistant Manager roles and there'll always be EFL clubs looking to Warnock to get them out of trouble, but I'd say he can forget about the Premier League now, Harris would probably have to drop a division or two to get a job and McCarthy's failure here was such an abject one that I think there's every chance he'll not get another manager's job even if he still wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Has any recent City manager gone on to a clearly bigger club than us after they left? Ole definitely did although whether he would have found a job with another club close to Man United's standing is very arguable and Sheffield Wednesday fans would tell us, rightly I'd say, that their club is bigger than City, but I can't think of anyone else - Malky was on the brink of joining Palace at one time, but didn't.

As for the others. Slade must realise now that he's not going to be a manager in the full time game again. Trollope looks to have settled for Assistant Manager roles and there'll always be EFL clubs looking to Warnock to get them out of trouble, but I'd say he can forget about the Premier League now, Harris would probably have to drop a division or two to get a job and McCarthy's failure here was such an abject one that I think there's every chance he'll not get another manager's job even if he still wants one.
    I can see Harris maybe getting another championship job

That's a good summary

I can see Harris maybe getting another championship job
    Yes, he might eventually, but I think he might have to work his way back. He was linked with Portsmouth recently wasn’t he (wouldn’t be surprised if Crowley was sacked if they miss out on the Play Offs)? That’d be a great job for him at this stage of his career.

I think Harris level is a lot lower than that, he's more likely to turn up at Gillingham or Orient
    Personally I can't see him in a Championship club anytime soon

I am always surprised that Malky hasn't gone on to do bigger things, he really was the next big thing when he was with us, the future of football management

I know his name was pretty toxic with what went on when he was with us, but he has apologised repeatedly, been on a few awareness courses, I guess he still hasn't been punished enough

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I am always surprised that Malky hasn't gone on to do bigger things, he really was the next big thing when he was with us, the future of football management

I know his name was pretty toxic with what went on when he was with us, but he has apologised repeatedly, been on a few awareness courses, I guess he still hasn't been punished enough
    I think it turned out he was a dishonest **** on top of his other little misdemeanours.
    Then there was the spell at Wigan.
    He had a half decent job with the SFA , plenty weren't happy about that .
    Wont be many rich pickings for him at Ross County.

By contrast look at the jacks former mangers this last 10 years.
    Martinez - Belgium
    Rodgers - Leicester
    Potter - BHA
    Cooper - Forest

There’s a few in between that are probably in jobs back abroad too.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Martinez - Belgium
    Rodgers - Leicester
    Potter - BHA
    Cooper - Forest

Paulo Souza is Head Coach of the Poland national team.

Martinez - Belgium
    Rodgers - Leicester
    Potter - BHA
    Cooper - Forest

Sousa-Manager of Poland

Carvalhal-Manager sc braga

Bradley-Toronto fc

Even their shit managers get a decent job after being with them, although Sousa was pretty good, if more defensive.

How many jobs has Monk had since leaving them?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

He had a chance at Wigan and couldn’t cut it. From memory the fans hated him because he was so negative.

Personally think he did well in his first season but then got lucky with Tans money.

Sousa-Manager of Poland

Carvalhal-Manager sc braga

Bradley-Toronto fc

Even their shit managers get a decent job after being with them, although Sousa was pretty good, if more defensive.

How many jobs has Monk had since leaving them?
    What's their secret? Serious question. They're the polar opposite to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    What's their secret? Serious question. They're the polar opposite to us.
    Yeah, it's a good question. I think that Swansea owe a huge debt to Martinez who gave them an identity. How much of that was down to Jenkins, i don't know. Martinez may have been just a cheap internal option, or maybe Jenkins saw what Martinez could offer as a coach.

One thing is for sure is that it has served them very well. When they look to recruit a new coach, they know what they want, that's half the battle i suppose. Whoever comes in has to fit the club, not the other way round like with us!

Yes, he might eventually, but I think he might have to work his way back. He was linked with Portsmouth recently wasn’t he (wouldn’t be surprised if Crowley was sacked if they miss out on the Play Offs)? That’d be a great job for him at this stage of his career.
    Harris linked to Ipswich according to WOL

Yeah, it's a good question. I think that Swansea owe a huge debt to Martinez who gave them an identity. How much of that was down to Jenkins, i don't know. Martinez may have been just a cheap internal option, or maybe Jenkins saw what Martinez could offer as a coach.

One thing is for sure is that it has served them very well. When they look to recruit a new coach, they know what they want, that's half the battle i suppose. Whoever comes in has to fit the club, not the other way round like with us!
    Thanks, it's something I've mulled over a lot recently (for obvious reasons). I think you're right about Martinez. For us, it's just a shame that when Tan took over, the identity was all about the colour and not about the style. As it turns out, that was a costly mistake and such a shame too, considering that, right from the start, he needed serious help on the football side.

I don't think Forest have lost since Cooper has taken over. Brighton are 9th in the PL (have we ever been that high?) and then the others of course. BTW, Martinez is only 48. I thought he was older.

Thanks, it's something I've mulled over a lot recently (for obvious reasons). I think you're right about Martinez. For us, it's just a shame that when Tan took over, the identity was all about the colour and not about the style. As it turns out, that was a costly mistake and such a shame too, considering that, right from the start, he needed serious help on the football side.

I don't think Forest have lost since Cooper has taken over. Brighton are 9th in the PL (have we ever been that high?) and then the others of course. BTW, Martinez is only 48. I thought he was older.
    Martinez is a bright bloke. Remember when he came over from spain to play for Wigan with two other spaniards (can anyone remember who they were) weren't wigan in the old fourth division at the time? Anyway, i read that he immersed himself in the English language, studying it 8 hours a day from a rented terraced house in Wigan with his two compatriots. I wonder if he'll ever go back to spain to work?

Martinez is a bright bloke. Remember when he came over from spain to play for Wigan with two other spaniards (can anyone remember who they were) weren't wigan in the old fourth division at the time? Anyway, i read that he immersed himself in the English language, studying it 8 hours a day from a rented terraced house in Wigan with his two compatriots. I wonder if he'll ever go back to spain to work?
    Jesus Seba & Isidro Diaz.

I've just gone and bought his autobiography on Apple Books (even though the cover has him with hair!). I want to know more about him.

Jesus Seba & Isidro Diaz.

I've just gone and bought his autobiography on Apple Books (even though the cover has him with hair!). I want to know more about him.
    i might just do the same.

Martinez - Belgium
    Rodgers - Leicester
    Potter - BHA
    Cooper - Forest

I made exactly this point recently.

When I asked the same question, we could only think of Len Ashhurst (in 1984!!) going to Sunderland as an example of a Cardiff City manager going onto manage a more successful club. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I made exactly this point recently.

When I asked the same question, we could only think of Len Ashhurst (in 1984!!) going to Sunderland as an example of a Cardiff City manager going onto manage a more successful club. Why is that?
    No plan as a club, bring in anyone without consideration.