+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labour Leader They Should Have Had

Re: Labour Leader They Should Have Had

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The party is called

Abolish the whole thing , merge with the liberals and other interested groups , stop splitting the anti tory vote

Get a leader like paddy ashdown in charge but tell him to keep his hands off the secretary
    If voters currently perceive a huge tension between the left and the right of the Labour party I can't see how joining forces with other political entities will help one iota. Until the left v right conflict subsides it's unlikely that the Labour Party will be electable even when the Conservatives are performing absolutely abysmally. My personal opinion (worth sod all in the great scheme of things) is that Labour has no option but to move away from the left of the party that seems to have more in common with the 1970's rather than the 2020's.
    The likes of Corbyn and Abbott will never attract the middle ground of voters and where the floating contingent lies.
    I think it unfortunate that the SDP never really took hold and that the Lib Dems faded into obscurity when the likes of Vince Cable departed the leadership. The Conservatives are an unholy mess and riddled with corruption but they seem to have a direction, a factor that the floating voters seem to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The party is called

Abolish the whole thing , merge with the liberals and other interested groups , stop splitting the anti tory vote

Get a leader like paddy ashdown in charge but tell him to keep his hands off the secretary
    Amen Sadly a lot of Labour voters liked Corbyn and that has damaged them as they see any other version is a lite Tory which is very narrow minded in my view , as the Tory party are part middle left these days , Blair could have lead the current party in power with ease , its was the left sided Osborne that brought in the triple lock ???

I cant relate Thatcherism to this Tory party , I'm sure there are some vague shades still existing, however in realty its more of a centralist party these days and that is where Labour are heading , and very much in line with your comments .

I don't think Sir Kier is the answer Labour needs to break their behaviour, and give the role to a centralists woman with style /intelligence/eloquence i.e. Yvette Cooper , not Angela Raynor , Abbott , Rebecca Long-Bailey .

If not let Jess Phillips she is wonderful to listen too and resonates with the electorate I'm sure the North would love her .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Right, we know the standards you expect from Labour before you vote for them, I’d be fascinated to know if you have any you expect from the current governing party (especially in light of the news which broke last night) before they get your support?
    I would expect continued economic competence (judged by falling unemployment, rising wages, GDP growth etc), a broadly libertarian approach to things, a push back against identity politics and a continued positive vision of what the country can become in the future.

I have to say, my opinion of the government, Johnson in particular is significantly shaken at present. If there were an election tomorrow, it would be pretty 50/50 who got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I would expect continued economic competence (judged by falling unemployment, rising wages, GDP growth etc), a broadly libertarian approach to things, a push back against identity politics and a continued positive vision of what the country can become in the future.

I have to say, my opinion of the government, Johnson in particular is significantly shaken at present. If there were an election tomorrow, it would be pretty 50/50 who got my vote.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

To add my two penn'orth if there was an election tomorrow I wouldn't leave the house (Nor get a postal vote).
    Unless he rdeeems himself greatly in the next couple of years( including much of what you say and more besides) I am unlikely to vote for a party lead by Boris again

I only voted last time because I detested Corbyn so much.

I'm yet to be convinced by Sir Keir. Bringing back Yvette Cooper was a good step. I've never particularly liked her but she is undoubtedy an articulate and competent politician.

Don't like yvette Cooper, too much of a Blair clone

Starmer?

The era of centre-left, uncharismatic ex-lawyer pro-european politicians as European leaders is over.

Oh hang on,.....Olaf who?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Starmer?

The era of centre-left, uncharismatic ex-lawyer pro-european politicians as European leaders is over.

Oh hang on,.....Olaf who?
    😅