+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Callum Patterson

Callum Patterson

Not watching the game but seems he’s playing as one of the back three according to sky app.

Didn’t think he’d have the positional sense to play it.

Re: Callum Patterson

that..... could be a genius move

he's strong, dominant in the air, better on the ball than your typical centre back, the positional stuff is down to coaching

BBC Sport has him on the right of the back three. Wasn't he supposed to be a right back when he joined City?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    BBC Sport has him on the right of the back three. Wasn't he supposed to be a right back when he joined City?
    yes, but Warnock decided that he couldn't play there and made him into a strangely effective attacking midfielder, then a striker

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that..... could be a genius move

he's strong, dominant in the air, better on the ball than your typical centre back, the positional stuff is down to coaching
    I always thought be was made to play infront of the back 4 but the few times he tried he looked lost. Certainly had the attributes to play it.

He could do a job for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I always thought be was made to play infront of the back 4 but the few times he tried he looked lost. Certainly had the attributes to play it.
    What attributes are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He could do a job for us.
    Fence painting ?
    Face painting ..
    Car park attendant ..
    Have I missed anything ?

I like players like Patterson

Strong, no messing about

Can play in different positions

One of quite a number of players we are missing behind the scenes as much, if not more than on the pitch.

Never seen him as a cb but has the physical attributes for it.

I loved him upfront for us, when the guy you sign as rb is your no.1 striker and scoring goals in the PL it's some level of banter.

Very versatile player but like many similar players then struggles at times due to not owning one position that he can master.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes, but Warnock decided that he couldn't play there and made him into a strangely effective attacking midfielder, then a striker
    He played every position on the pitch besides centre back and goalie. Never complained. Gave 100% every single game.

I loved him, one of my favourite city players, but to me doesn't have the football brain to play CB.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    What attributes are those?
    Strong, good engine, good in the air, gets stuck in. Obviously not the complete midfielder we dream of but I felt he could have made that position his own with some training.

Callum Paterson is a completely different footballer in the minds of some people on here than he is in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He played every position on the pitch besides centre back and goalie. Never complained. Gave 100% every single game.

I loved him, one of my favourite city players, but to me doesn't have the football brain to play CB.
    Never complained, apart from when he threw a strop after being substituted.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Callum Paterson is a completely different footballer in the minds of some people on here than he is in real life.

Surely a reality check is in order. He played 27 times in our PL season and was on the losing side 16 times. He only scored 4 goals. The standard play was a punt from Etheridge where Callum would flick on to the opposition and we'd huff and puff to get the ball back which usually happened after they'd scored. Then rinse and repeat. Someone should have organised an intervention when Warnock said 'ya know what? Let's play Patto oop front, I reckon 'e could do a right job for us!'
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 08-12-21 at 18:18. Reason: spelling

BTW, he only had 8 shots on target and 1 assist during our PL season.

Patterson is EXACTLY the type of player we need given the points we have

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Surely a reality check is in order. He played 27 times in our PL season and was on the losing side 16 times. He only scored 4 goals. The standard play was a punt from Etheridge where Callum would flick on to the opposition and we'd huff and puff to get the ball back which usually happened after they'd scored. Then rinse and repeat. Someone should have organised an intervention when Warnock said 'ya know what? Let's play Patto oop front, I reckon 'e could do a right job for us!'
    Don’t think there’s any need to slate him.

He knew his limitations. So did we.

Didn’t stop him buying god knows how many free kicks (which we made the most of quite a few times)

Often got the first balls to which others did pick up on

Often riled defenders into mistakes just by being a nuisance

He was shit at times, technically awful and wasn’t brilliant at one specific position but I’m glad he was here and he did more to add to a limited team than detract to it.

He’s been one of my favourite players for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t think there’s any need to slate him.

He knew his limitations. So did we.

Didn’t stop him buying god knows how many free kicks (which we made the most of quite a few times)

Often got the first balls to which others did pick up on

Often riled defenders into mistakes just by being a nuisance

He was shit at times, technically awful and wasn’t brilliant at one specific position but I’m glad he was here and he did more to add to a limited team than detract to it.

He’s been one of my favourite players for a decade.
    I was slating Warnock actually for picking him as a CF. The other stuff was just stats (apart from the Etheridge to Callum part which was also a critique of Warnock). However, my view is that he was a contributor to the reasons we were a limited team and didn't add anything positive. But again, that's down to Warnock.

I'm glad he was one of your favourite players. Nothing I say should change that, nor do I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No , thats exactly why we are here . I would rather watch the youngsters try to play football.
    Hit and hope football is dead. Blood and guts is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    No , thats exactly why we are here . I would rather watch the youngsters try to play football.
    Hit and hope football is dead. Blood and guts is dead.
    Watch us play pretty football in league Two

Get points on the board first then we can worry

Can't remember what his passing and composure was like, how does he fit into a team that doesn't hoof it up field to him?

Watch us play pretty football in league Two

Get points on the board first then we can worry
    We weren't getting any points on the board. We were losing while hoofing it.

Some people

Perfect lower league player.