I’ve just been listening to the phone in on 5 Live and was struck by how the Johnson apologists ringing in (and there were a fair few) were resorting to things like it was all a leftist plot and besides the usual suspects in the media there was also the Dail Mail which now has a left wing editor . It does amuse me that Tories, with all of the financial, business and media advantages they enjoy (certainly in terms of the printed media) bleat on when the going gets tough for the party about how everything’s against them.

For me, that sort of reaction is to miss the point in this instance. It’s not the left or Labour they should be concerned about, it’s about the split in their party because it’s getting to the point where you have to be for one and against the other - on this matter, if you’re siding with Johnson, you’re going against the views of large numbers of important people in the Tory party.

Look at the bashing Johnson is getting from the likes of the Mail, Sun and Times and, incredibly, there's even been the odd bit of dissent from the Express and Telegraph. These papers have not all veered well to the left politically, their core values are still the same, but they see a PM who is either not representing them or not representing them well enough.

Those on here who usually toe the Conservative line have a decision to make on this matter because if they’re trying to defend the party and the leader, they’re getting themselves in a bit of a mess because they are two distinctly different things in this instance.