+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio Wales

Radio Wales

I realise it's a much repeated complaint but we like a bit of repetition around here so this is your reminder that the Radio Wales commentary is still poor. Every season I give them another go and eventually just have to turn off. My main grizzle is that they all seem to assume that the listeners can see the action. Robert Phillips often gets confused that he's not on telly. The co-comms seem to be equally oblivious. Today, Ratcliffe said, in exasperation, "What was he doing there?" I don't know, Kevin, I can't see the game. Please describe what he was doing there, would you? Instead of just saying "Aw, e's godda do bedder n tha."

The other thing is when the comms interrupt themselves with some kind of latest score Tourette's. For instance, "Colwill wins the ball and plays it out wide to Davies - Davies finds Moore - [voice becomes more excited] - Moore into the area - Wrexham have made it 3-1 at Dover..." Who exactly is that aimed at? Who wants to know at that precise moment?

Anyway, rant over; carry on.

Re: Radio Wales

However much the commentary irritates you it is better than nothing if you aren't at the match.

I think Rob Phillips is good but the rest are a waste of space

he must put it in from there, 4 on 2, its wide open , is it wireless wales or my dodgy stream?

Call Rob is even worse. Ann from Caerphilly rings in every week.

In London we get the Swansea Game 9 times out of 10 through digital TV channel….drives me fkn mad.

I like it.

Think Rob Phillips is very underrated

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think Rob Phillips is good but the rest are a waste of space
    He's alright on the telly. There's a knack to radio commentary and I understand it's difficult to describe the play as it unfolds but they could at least give it a go from time to time.

I can't disagree more. I think Rob Phillips is one of the best radio commentators in the UK and he manages to have a bit of banter and humour at the same time. He's the best lead commentator Radio Wales have probably ever had, certainly better than John Hardy, Ian Gwyn Hughes and Richard Shepherd and a more enjoyable listen. He loves his job and I doubt he'll go anywhere until he retires. He's also good on twitter and is very approachable.

I don't mind Mark Poyser. He's improved over the last few years.

I can't say I'm fussed on Simon Davies, who commentated on today's game. He's very much second in command at Radio Wales. He's become a more exciteable commentator over the last year or so.

Bryn Tomos has done a few Newport games and has become quite well known for his over the top goal commentaries! Can't see him ever getting a big job but he loves the game, that's for sure.

With regard commentators interrupting the flow to announce a score, don't forget they'll have a producer updating them in their headphones and I can well imagine a commentator needing to offload that info to carry on what they are doing. Even commentators at Radio 5 and TalkSport do the same.

I understand your gripes with comments like "What was he doing there?". I just put that down to it being an instant reaction, something you'd say to your mate at the ground. In that instance you know someone was in a position he shouldn't have been. There might be time to say more, there might not. Quite often with Ratcliffe he says it during a commentary, not as an opinion, so you'll have the main commentator describing the action, while Ratcliffe spots something but hasn't the chance or time to elaborate.

I love radio commentary as a rule. It's live, it's warts and all. Some people don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    He's alright on the telly. There's a knack to radio commentary and I understand it's difficult to describe the play as it unfolds but they could at least give it a go from time to time.
    Rob Phillips rarely commentates on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Ann from Caerphilly - and in fairness Clare the Swansea fan - are pretty knowledgeable. Far more so than some idiots.

Richard Shepherd was like listening to death .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Ann from Caerphilly - and in fairness Clare the Swansea fan - are pretty knowledgeable. Far more so than some idiots.
    Clare is a very clued up fan

I think she's from Ammanford

Richard Shepherd was like listening to death .
    I always thought he'd be better suited to horse racing.

Clare is a very clued up fan

I think she's from Ammanford
    Clare from Cross Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can't disagree more. I think Rob Phillips is one of the best radio commentators in the UK and he manages to have a bit of banter and humour at the same time. He's the best lead commentator Radio Wales have probably ever had, certainly better than John Hardy, Ian Gwyn Hughes and Richard Shepherd and a more enjoyable listen. He loves his job and I doubt he'll go anywhere until he retires. He's also good on twitter and is very approachable.

I don't mind Mark Poyser. He's improved over the last few years.

I can't say I'm fussed on Simon Davies, who commentated on today's game. He's very much second in command at Radio Wales. He's become a more exciteable commentator over the last year or so.

Bryn Tomos has done a few Newport games and has become quite well known for his over the top goal commentaries! Can't see him ever getting a big job but he loves the game, that's for sure.

With regard commentators interrupting the flow to announce a score, don't forget they'll have a producer updating them in their headphones and I can well imagine a commentator needing to offload that info to carry on what they are doing. Even commentators at Radio 5 and TalkSport do the same.

I understand your gripes with comments like "What was he doing there?". I just put that down to it being an instant reaction, something you'd say to your mate at the ground. In that instance you know someone was in a position he shouldn't have been. There might be time to say more, there might not. Quite often with Ratcliffe he says it during a commentary, not as an opinion, so you'll have the main commentator describing the action, while Ratcliffe spots something but hasn't the chance or time to elaborate.

I love radio commentary as a rule. It's live, it's warts and all. Some people don't like it.
    John Hardy is dire. When he's on you get some sort of surrealist discourse on weirdly unrelated situations that have absolutely nothing to do with the match commentary you tuned in to hear. Avoid him like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Clare from Cross Hands.
    Good caller.
    She watches the Jacks but often watches lower level football to

I can't stand Rob Phillips i just want to rip my ears off when i hear his voice

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Rob Phillips rarely commentates on tv.
    I thought he did the Wales matches for the BBC. Fair enough, that's not often, but that puts him in a worse light for me, given that I thought he was getting his TV and radio craft mixed up. Perhaps I should get over the score updates but I think the other stuff can be tightened up. The service, first and foremost should be to describe what's happening to those who aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I thought he did the Wales matches for the BBC. Fair enough, that's not often, but that puts him in a worse light for me, given that I thought he was getting his TV and radio craft mixed up. Perhaps I should get over the score updates but I think the other stuff can be tightened up. The service, first and foremost should be to describe what's happening to those who aren't there.
    Simon Davies covers the Welsh highlights on BBC 1 Wales and I agree he's better suited to TV.

As for tightening up the other stuff, I see very little different between commentaries on Radio Wales and Radio 5.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    No actually they ring her every week.

That’s why you have the same callers week in week out.

I agree the commentary is shit.
    You can hear oohs and aahs in the background and they are not telling you what's going on.
    I loved Richard Shepherd he may have been monotone and towards the end he may have made mistakes ie "it's goal"
    "oh no its gone in the side netting"
    But you always knew where the ball was.

"Cardiff have a free kick in a dangerous position...
    " and over in Llanelli the Scarletts have a scrum so let's hear the latest from there...
    (5 ninutes later)
    "while you were away Cardiff have scored"

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    No actually they ring her every week.

That’s why you have the same callers week in week out.
    That is just not true.

They don't.

My nephew is one of the producers.

Rob Phillips is very good - one of the better ones out there. Kevin Ratcliffe is the problem as he interrupts all of the time, rather than waiting for a cue to speak from RP. It then throws Rob off his flow. What makes KR worse is that he often can't identify the player he's talking about and gets it wrong too many times.