+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F1 showdown

Re: F1 showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I'd been enjoying the race up until the fiasco at the end. Hamilton deserved it and yet loses.

The whole of F1 though is not a level playing field anyway.
    All true.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Wrong. Read the international media. It’s not a British thing. That “procedure” has never been used before & doesn’t exist. Only 5 of the lapped cars were let through, all or none of the should have been let through.
    They had to make a quick decision as the last lap was approaching.
    Who gives a toss about the other lapped cars behind verstappen.
    They were , and didn't, have any bearing on the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Wrong. Read the international media. It’s not a British thing. That “procedure” has never been used before & doesn’t exist. Only 5 of the lapped cars were let through, all or none of the should have been let through.
    That is what I thought (from all previous races I have seen anyway).

I suspect that the organisers didn’t want the race to end under a safety car but to decide to half implement the rules half way through the safety car period, when they has previously said that they wouldn’t, seems very unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Car crash.
    Safety car.
    4 lapped cars between Hamilton and verstappen.
    Safety car pisses off with 1 lap left, and race officials told the lapped cars to get out of the way.
    Verstappen had fresh tires.
    Hamilton didn't.
    Verstappen took Hamilton at the first opportunity.

Hamilton is gonna be a baby now for weeks.
    Whilst conveniently forgetting he cut a corner early on.
    Race Director plays 'racing god' to enable a Verstappen win when he was going to lose to the better driver and car.

Hamilton shakes Verstappen's hand and congratulates him. Very mature. Very respectful. Nothing of the 'baby'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Race Director plays 'racing god' to enable a Verstappen win when he was going to lose to the better driver and car.

Hamilton shakes Verstappen's hand and congratulates him. Very mature. Very respectful. Nothing of the 'baby'.
    Everyone agrees it was right decision on bbc news.
    Hamilton will " baby " up by about Wednesday I reckon

I haven't seen the BBC news but quite obviously not 'everyone' agrees it was the right decision.

I haven't seen the BBC news but quite obviously not 'everyone' agrees it was the right decision.
    I wouldn't take Nugent's word on that, or anything really.

They had to make a quick decision as the last lap was approaching.
    Who gives a toss about the other lapped cars behind verstappen.
    They were , and didn't, have any bearing on the race.
    Of course it does as they would have finished behind the safety car & Hamilton would be world champion. It’s a multi billion dollar sport, with very precise rules that have just be subjectively overlooked

It’s the same as a referee awarding a penalty for a foul in the centre circle in the last minute of an FA cup final.

That’ll be Masi’s last race.

Is that Sophie Raworth, Naga Munchetty AND Carol Kirkwood?

the fairest option would have been a red flag as soon as he hit the barrier . Both then could changed their tyres and we would have had 4 or 5 laps racing. At the moment it feels like a huge anti climax whether you think it was the right or wrong call.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    the fairest option would have been a red flag as soon as he hit the barrier . Both then could changed their tyres and we would have had 4 or 5 laps racing. At the moment it feels like a huge anti climax whether you think it was the right or wrong call.
    This ^^

Jolyon Palmer said it was messy and he feels sorry for Lewis.
    That's as close as I could see to anyone saying it was the right decision.

Article 39.12 of sporting regs says: "If clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams, any cars that have been lapped by leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car."

In this case, only Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel were allowed to overtake it - they were the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen. Ricciardo, Stroll and Schumacher were not.

In other words, the sporting regulations do not cover this specific situation.

There is also this part of that article: "Unless clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap." There was no lap in between.

Andrew Benson - BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54911288

Article 39.12 of sporting regs says: "If clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams, any cars that have been lapped by leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car."

In this case, only Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel were allowed to overtake it - they were the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen. Ricciardo, Stroll and Schumacher were not.

In other words, the sporting regulations do not cover this specific situation.

There is also this part of that article: "Unless clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap." There was no lap in between.

Andrew Benson - BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54911288
    That's how I see it.

I'm not a Lewis or Max fan, but those two are a class above everyone else.
    I'm an F1 fan and I don't think the sport has done itself any favours today, or has it? ( There is no such thing as bad publicity)

George Russell on twitter-
    Max is an absolutely fantastic driver who has had an incredible season and I have nothing but huge respect for him, but what just happened is absolutely unacceptable. I cannot believe what we’ve just seen.

I think as time goes on more and more people will be questioning what went on. The result should not rest on someone's split second interpretation of the rules.

Max guilty of putting his nose in front of Lewis before the safety car ended?
    This race is going to rumble

They were 100% right to get the lapped cars out of the way.
    When the safety car pissed off, there was 1 lap left.
    The lapped cars had more than 1 lap left.
    They couldn't catch up.
    Correct decision and the British media are jumping all over it.
    If we were watching this in another country with unbiased media, nobody would be making a fuss.
    This I get.
    What I don't understand is where does the taxi come in?
    Is it the safety car....
    ....or do you mean taxi for Hamilton?

Hope the decision goes Max's way the sport need it.

They were 100% right to get the lapped cars out of the way.
    When the safety car pissed off, there was 1 lap left.
    The lapped cars had more than 1 lap left.
    They couldn't catch up.
    Correct decision and the British media are jumping all over it.
    If we were watching this in another country with unbiased media, nobody would be making a fuss.

This race will be talked about forever cos of the last lap win.
    In my opinion the British media is usually anything but bias towards Hamilton.

The shortest price bet pre race had to be that the title would be decided in the stewards room or a court room. Apparently, one of the teams involved hired a barrister beforehand = what a contrast to the New Zealand cricket who accepted all of the bad luck (and there was an awful lot of it) in their 2019 World Cup Final with England with great good spirit.

Not just having a go at motor racing there, it’s the way top level sport is going.

Haha. Unlucky Hamilton haha.
    If you stopped campaigning politically and stop worrying about back lives matter and gay pride and actually get on with racing you might have been champion.
    Berk
    You really are a backward bigoted troll

Elsewhere, Sludge is testing out some new fishing bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Elsewhere, Sludge is testing out some new fishing bait.
    Imagine if he'd been in a fishing competition and was leading by 5kg going into the final 5 minutes. The judge then declares that the next fish the angler in 2nd place catches is worth 6kg and Sludge has to take his rod out of the water.
    He'd be well miffed.

6kg pike... pfffttt.

Result stands.