+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: F1 showdown

Re: F1 showdown

And off they go to the Court of Arbitration in Sport!

They will be a long way behind Cardiff City FC vs FIFA/Nantes in the queue!

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Result stands.
    Weren't the FIA effectively marking their own homework?

Their decision is no surprise, but they surely broke their own regulations?

Still, on the bright side at least Nugent is happy - and he won't have to think about racism or homophobia for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Weren't the FIA effectively marking their own homework?
    In a word, yes.
    I think Michael Masi has been weak. Not just weak in this race, but weak all season.
    Not sure why the team principals are allowed to bellow in his ear and try and influence things either.
    I think this could be Masi's last race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Mercedes changed their engine 3 or 4 races ago and have won every race since. It made them faster than red bull.
    Christian Horner has just said the guy who changed the circuit has improved every part for Mercedes.
    He said its David and Goliath .
    I get he could be trying to play a fast one.
    I had a few quid on Mercedes for constructors championship and Hamilton to win the championship double 3 or 4 races ago
    Barring a disaster I am confident that bet will come in...
    BET 365 have refunded my bet , called it a bet credit .
    How strange is that ?

Well done Max . 👏

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/...gp-safety-car/

Despite Norris’ car being recovered quickly , the Safety Car stayed out for five laps, which drew complaints from some drivers.

However at that stage leader Lewis Hamilton had lapped all bar his nearest four opponents.

There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past,” Masi said.

“From that point, it was position six onwards that were still running [on the lead lap], so between 10 or 11 cars had to unlap themselves.

“Therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”

Short of throwing a stinger in front of Lewis Hamilton’s car I’m not sure what more the FIA could have done to contrive the result. Anyway well done Lewis for rising above the farce and speaking so well, not sure the other lot would have done the same.

What I saw was that Hamilton was 11 secs ahead of Verstappen with about six laps to go. His tyres were degrading, but not enough for him to be caught.
    When the safety car cleared, with one lap to go Verstappen was immediately behind Hamilton - with better tyres.
    No matter how that is dressed up, how that can that be an equitable scenario?

Although I have no interest in who won or lost, I have been looking at this thread from time to time and just have a couple of observations to make. The first is a naive one which is never going to happen, but wouldn’t it be great to return to the days of my youth when titles were won on the pitch, track, course etc during the event? Secondly, when a sport has too many variables/rules/offences you’re always in trouble because so many interpretations can be put on events that you’re going to struggle to get any certainty - for example, rugby has become so dependent on one person’s interpretation of what’s happening that it’s standing as a sport is being diminished.

Masi and the FiA made a complete mockery of the sport and the rules yesterday in order to create this final lap showdown.

I will admit I wanted Verstappen to win the championship as I felt his performances over the year with most wins, poles and laps led meritted his maiden championship - but the manner in which it was won was farcical.

Masi effectively elected to hit the chaos button when he opted to only allow the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves, this as the majority of the race reaction suggests, was completely unjustified and Mercedes were quite right to put in their protest post race. But they needed the likes of Ferrari to also complain as Verstappen had all the traffic removed between Hamilton and himself yet Sainz was left with Ricciardo and Stroll between himself and Verstappen, seemingly consigning him to 3rd place and defending against the two Alpha Tauri's.

Very few would have complained if Masi had elected to finish behind the safety car or had elected not to release any of the unlapped cars, based on how previous SC procedures were handled. To do what he opted to do, which appears to be just for the sake of creating a spectacle, makes me believe it's an entertainment influenced decision, potentially pushed by Liberty media as the sport has more eyes on it than ever. Call me a conspiracy theorist but this year has seen so many odd decisions at play from the stewards and Masi, particularly in the closing rounds that it leads me to question why, if not just to ensure we have a close title race?

One of the most recent is Verstappen's brake check on Hamilton in Jeddah, FiA found him guilty of it and give him a 10 second penalty, and the reaction from the paddock is to joke that they can just brake check their rivals and only receive a 10 second penalty. They are setting a dangerous precedent and need a shake up, I'll be shocked if Masi is still race director come March.

There were 3 reasonable and regs complaint options for the Race Director to choose from yesterday:

1. Finish the race behind the safety car as there was no time for all cars to un-lap themselves before the finish.

2. Restart the race for one final lap with no cars un-lapped.

3. Red flag the race and have a 5 lap shoot-out with all cars on fresh tyres.

Instead Masi chose an unreasonable, regs non-compliant, hybrid option that almost guaranteed a Verstappen win. A farce. A mess. Another own goal for the FIA and the whole amoral rich-boys circus.

But it will be almost impossible to alter and unravel the outcome now at CAS - best for Hamilton and Mercedes to drop the legal challenge and get even on the track next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There were 3 reasonable and regs complaint options for the Race Director to choose from yesterday:

1. Finish the race behind the safety car as there was no time for all cars to un-lap themselves before the finish.

2. Restart the race for one final lap with no cars un-lapped.

3. Red flag the race and have a 5 lap shoot-out with all cars on fresh tyres.

Instead Masi chose an unreasonable, regs non-compliant, hybrid option that almost guaranteed a Verstappen win. A farce. A mess. Another own goal for the FIA and the whole amoral rich-boys circus.

But it will be almost impossible to alter and unravel the outcome now at CAS - best for Hamilton and Mercedes to drop the legal challenge and get even on the track next year.
    It may be less costly to the FIA to announce there being joint winners rather than defend possible and lengthy legal action.