+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County rise to 5th...

County rise to 5th...

..with a comeback win over fellow promotion-chasers Port Vale.

Rowberry must have them going...you'd feel that after a few good seasons but no cigar, they're going to go close again this time.

Match report here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59529524

Re: County rise to 5th...

As a younger fan I have no negative feelings towards Newport, I’ve even been to a few of their games when City are playing away games at the arse end of the country. I would love to see them promoted, they’ve got a very passionate and quite big fan base and it would be good for Welsh football too. I was at the “great escape” game a few years back and all credit to the County fans it was a brilliant day out.

Listening to call Rob, it seems Rowberry has got them playing some attractive and effective football as well which begs the question did we get the best out of him during all those years when we were playing long ball crap?

Good luck to County - I wonder if we’ll see some of our youngsters loaned there in January?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    As a younger fan I have no negative feelings towards Newport, I’ve even been to a few of their games when City are playing away games at the arse end of the country. I would love to see them promoted, they’ve got a very passionate and quite big fan base and it would be good for Welsh football too. I was at the “great escape” game a few years back and all credit to the County fans it was a brilliant day out.
    Big fan base? Is that a joke

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Listening to call Rob, it seems Rowberry has got them playing some attractive and effective football as well which begs the question did we get the best out of him during all those years when we were playing long ball crap?

Good luck to County - I wonder if we’ll see some of our youngsters loaned there in January?
    Rowberry was with the youngsters wasnt he? Were they playing long ball crap.??

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Rowberry was with the youngsters wasnt he? Were they playing long ball crap.??
    He was a first-team coach for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He was a first-team coach for us.
    I guess he coaches what the manager wants though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    ..with a comeback win over fellow promotion-chasers Port Vale.

Rowberry must have them going...you'd feel that after a few good seasons but no cigar, they're going to go close again this time.

Match report here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59529524
    Country rise to 4th according to the linked report

Rowberry should’ve got the job ahead of Morison.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Rowberry should’ve got the job ahead of Morison.
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why?
    Better qualified. One of the youngest people ever to have got their UEFA pro license. Had been coaching at the club for best part of a decade. Has been coaching since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Big fan base? Really? They average less than 4,000

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That’s a fair sized increase on what was the norm before they went bust in the late eighties. Most of the games I sea in the seventies were played in front of crowds of less than three thousand, often less than two thousand. County we’re one of the poorest supported teams in the Football League back then, but that’s no longer true these days.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s a fair sized increase on what was the norm before they went bust in the late eighties. Most of the games I sea in the seventies were played in front of crowds of less than three thousand, often less than two thousand. County we’re one of the poorest supported teams in the Football League back then, but that’s no longer true these days.
    No doubt boosted by a decent following from Port Vale who were up near the top.

3-3500 home fans at most games it seems. Sold out Rovers away.

As usual boosted by a smattering of City fans when we are away

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/n...ty/attendances

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

But Newport still have had a decent increase in their support compared to what it was when they were in the old Division Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Indeed ... I went to the game yesterday with a good friend of mine who lives in Newport.
    The guy in front if us was bemoaning the fact they were playing it along the back and not hoofing it up field .
    They do play nice quick football, generally on the ground. Port Vale played the same way .
    Watch their winner , guy takes it so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvaSE9z9FU

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Indeed ... I went to the game yesterday with a good friend of mine who lives in Newport.
    The guy in front if us was bemoaning the fact they were playing it along the back and not hoofing it up field .
    They do play nice quick football, generally on the ground. Port Vale played the same way .
    Watch their winner , guy takes it so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvaSE9z9FU
    Classy goal that.

Good luck to them, after working in Newport for two years I know a few County fans. Good lads and really passionate about the club.

If you ever mix with other football fans on a regular basis you soon realise that we're pretty much all the same.......apart from Swansea, they're a different breed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I guess he coaches what the manager wants though.
    Is my answer too

They didn’t even manage 8000 to Wembley when they came back into the league

Maybe “quite big” was the wrong term. “Surprisingly big” is perhaps more suited. For a team that’s spent 25 of the last 32 years in non leagues I think averaging 3.5k - 4k is pretty good turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why?
    I tend to agree. He (Rowberry) seems the more talented and not obsessed with himself.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 12-12-21 at 09:56. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I tend to agree. He (Rowberry) seems the more talented and not obsessed with himself.
    Who are you insinuating is obsessed with himself?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Who are you insinuating is obsessed with himself?
    Morison. Just listen to him.

Newport is a rugby town where a few people support County and the rest Liverpool and Man United

It's a big place , 13000 ? , yet struggles to get 4000

You would have thought after the years of heartache County fans had ....and it was shocking ......the population would get behind them