+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Time To Cash In On Ralls?

Is it Time To Cash In On Ralls?

I say this for two reasons.

1-Because he's probably our most saleable asset in the midfield and has only just turned 28.

2-Because the style of play that Morison is implementing does not suit Ralls in my opinion. He's slow on the ball and he lacks pace. He doesn't negate his lack of pace with positional sense either.

Same could be said of all our central midfield players, woefully lacking in so many respects. Ralls is the best of the bunch by a mile, But i do believe that he has peaked and that he isn't what is needed over the next couple of years. He has value, that's why i'm mentioning him, and those funds could see us bring in a player more suited to the more possession based style of football that we are trying to implement.

I've said plenty of times that Ralls has been unlucky with the coaches he has had, because to me, there's a good 'footballer' in there. He's always been consistent and reliable, and i think that may have worked against him. Lazy managers and coaches not experimenting with him early on in his career due to most of them having no interest in a progressive style of football.

Could we get a couple of million for ralls and invest it wisely-That's the question.

Re: Is it Time To Cash In On Ralls?

ralls is the only one I'd keep. we look so much better with him in the team

Isn’t he out of contract this season?

If so we’d be lucky to get the low hundred thousands for him

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I say this for two reasons.

1-Because he's probably our most saleable asset in the midfield and has only just turned 28.

2-Because the style of play that Morison is implementing does not suit Ralls in my opinion. He's slow on the ball and he lacks pace. He doesn't negate his lack of pace with positional sense either.

Same could be said of all our central midfield players, woefully lacking in so many respects. Ralls is the best of the bunch by a mile, But i do believe that he has peaked and that he isn't what is needed over the next couple of years. He has value, that's why i'm mentioning him, and those funds could see us bring in a player more suited to the more possession based style of football that we are trying to implement.

I've said plenty of times that Ralls has been unlucky with the coaches he has had, because to me, there's a good 'footballer' in there. He's always been consistent and reliable, and i think that may have worked against him. Lazy managers and coaches not experimenting with him early on in his career due to most of them having no interest in a progressive style of football.

Could we get a couple of million for ralls and invest it wisely-That's the question.
    Yes and whilst we are at it, why not get rid of Moore, McGuiness and Colwill as well. They are obviously getting in the way of us progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A sad indictment of our team when he’s our best midfielder and hasn’t performed in 5 years or more

I can't see any Championship club paying Cardiff a couple of million in January for Ralls.

I would like to see him stay with a new contract.

But in these financially straightened times which club will pay out for a 28 year old in a misfiring midfield who (in your words) lacks pace or positional sense, when his contract will be up in 5 months?

Any multi-million pound fees in January will be rare and will go on goal scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yes and whilst we are at it, why not get rid of Moore, McGuiness and Colwill as well. They are obviously getting in the way of us progressing.

Somebody’s lost their script for Prozac.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    At the moment. And he's a very good player, i like him. I didn't realise that his contract was up this summer, somehow thought that he had extended. Nobody has addressed the point that i'm attempting to make which is ralls the future at this stage-does he have what we need if we're going to go down a different route? And the fact that he has value can help with us bringing in players who might be able to implement a new style of football. It's hardly revolutionary

My concern with Ralls is more to do with the number of matches he has missed in the last couple of years and it seems to have only been in the last two or three weeks that he has been trusted enough to play a full ninety minutes. If he is now able to play more games than he has been doing, then he is the one above any of the others I’d be offering a new contract to. Ralls is not the quickest and that’s never going to change, but you look at all of the other facets of a modern central midfielder’s game and I’d say he is six out of ten at least, by Championship standards, in all of them, even if there are not many, if any, I’d rate at eight or above. For me, Ralls a good, solid “all rounder”, he also never hides in games, and we should be doing our best to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I can't see any Championship club paying Cardiff a couple of million in January for Ralls.

I would like to see him stay with a new contract.

But in these financially straightened times which club will pay out for a 28 year old in a misfiring midfield who (in your words) lacks pace or positional sense, when his contract will be up in 5 months?

Any multi-million pound fees in January will be rare and will go on goal scorers.
    Fair enough (didn't realise about his contract) do you think that his style of play is the way forward over the next couple of years-do you think that he can be acommodated in a midfield that has to be more interchangable, intelligent, versatile etc? He may well be a very good defensive midfielder who drops off the play.

Im sure if we were offered 2m wed sell.

We wont and hes our best central midfielder.

Crucial player in our relegation battle. Quality delivery for the equaliser.

Fair enough (didn't realise about his contract) do you think that his style of play is the way forward over the next couple of years-do you think that he can be acommodated in a midfield that has to be more interchangable, intelligent, versatile etc? He may well be a very good defensive midfielder who drops off the play.
    I honestly don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ralls and Wintle as a midfield pairing in the second half of the season. Ralls has more pace than Pack, and I think he can pass a ball as well as Pack if the manager sets a style of play that doesn't bypass the middle of the pitch. Added to that is his dead ball ability which seems to be getting more dangerous with age.

Ralls is the best.midfielder we've got in my opinion and probably a good captain too. I'd definitely keep him and make him the cornerstone of our midfield and build around him for the second half of the season.

Pack and Vaulks are the weak links and I think it urgent we jettison them ASAP! Hopefully, Bowen and Sang will return soon and as had been said by other posters we really should get Wintle back.

Maybe with a little wheeler dealing and chucking Colwill in the mix we have a chance of achieving a vastly improved midfield selection in the New Year.

At the moment. And he's a very good player, i like him. I didn't realise that his contract was up this summer, somehow thought that he had extended. Nobody has addressed the point that i'm attempting to make which is ralls the future at this stage-does he have what we need if we're going to go down a different route? And the fact that he has value can help with us bringing in players who might be able to implement a new style of football. It's hardly revolutionary
    He doesn’t have any value because he’s out of contract at the end of the season. None of the clubs pushing for promotion would realistically want him and so why would a mid table side fork out a million or two for a player they can have for nothing for just 3/4 months worth of games?

I would offer him a new contract

He's an under the radar player like boland and bonner were

Nothing flash , just does the basics well

Every side in this league needs players like him

Who would buy a player they could get for free in 6 months?

He's our best midfielder and severely underrated by many here. He should be given a new deal and the captaincy

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He doesn’t have any value because he’s out of contract at the end of the season. None of the clubs pushing for promotion would realistically want him and so why would a mid table side fork out a million or two for a player they can have for nothing for just 3/4 months worth of games?
    Yeah, i got that one wromg. Thought he had 18 months left. Hypothetically though-What do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Exactly.

I'll put the question a different way then. If we as a club are looking to progress and change the way we play, would any of you say that he could be a part of that considering his style of play, his attributes, his footballing awareness etc? I have reservations because in my opinion he's too flat a player, always too square on to the play, doesn't put himself in positions that can make the next pass quicker, easier and more effective.

Lf any of you think that he can evolve or if indeed Morison is going to go down that route then lets hear it, or if anyone thinks that Ralls is good enough the way he is and all he needs around him is better players who are more mobile in order to make his job easier then fair enough. Lots of whats if's, i know, but i'd be interested to know whether people think that he can adapt because lets face it, ralls has never been in a side that likes to play quickly through the midfield.

Yeah, i got that one wromg. Thought he had 18 months left. Hypothetically though-What do you reckon?
    I think if the club could cash in on him they would have done in the summer. I think he signed his last extension on the Prem so wages may have put others off last summer. Majority of clubs in the divison haven’t got a pot to piss in after a season and half without crowds.

I'll put the question a different way then. If we as a club are looking to progress and change the way we play, would any of you say that he could be a part of that considering his style of play, his attributes, his footballing awareness etc? I have reservations because in my opinion he's too flat a player, always too square on to the play, doesn't put himself in positions that can make the next pass quicker, easier and more effective.

Lf any of you think that he can evolve or if indeed Morison is going to go down that route then lets hear it, or if anyone thinks that Ralls is good enough the way he is and all he needs around him is better players who are more mobile in order to make his job easier then fair enough. Lots of whats if's, i know, but i'd be interested to know whether people think that he can adapt because lets face it, ralls has never been in a side that likes to play quickly through the midfield.
    When he first broke through he was a ball player. Since then though the managers have not asked him to play like that. Yesterday we were the better side on the ball. Ralls again was a big part of that.

Has looked very good under Morrison.
    He’s an all rounder too- which is rare.

Criminally underrated by a lot of our fans

I'd keep him. He does the basics well and can pass the ball better than most of our players. Get better players in around him

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    When he first broke through he was a ball player. Since then though the managers have not asked him to play like that. Yesterday we were the better side on the ball. Ralls again was a big part of that.

Has looked very good under Morrison.
    He’s an all rounder too- which is rare.

Criminally underrated by a lot of our fans
    100% agree with your first paragraph. He looked composed and played with his head up when he broke through. A combination of Slade, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy must've taken it's toll on Ralls development. The general consensus seems to be that Ralls is going to be a part of Morison's long term plan, if indeed he has one or has the opportunity to implement it long term.

Ralls is one-paced, doesn't have a good footballing brain, and has a habit of getting the wrong side of his opponent when trying to make a tackle. Other than that, what's not to like about Ralls....

No. Next.