I only manage a few away games each season (usually in London or the Birmingham area), but it never ceases to amaze me the support we get away from home. Yesterday was a great example - the away end was rammed, and the fans were having to stand in the stairways (which surely is against all ground regulations?). There was plenty of room to make the away area a bit bigger, but they chose not to - strange. Great singing, all through the game (okay, it went a bit quiet after the second goal), and some friendly banter with the locals in the corner just to our right. The service in the bars was woeful, with just a couple of ladies trying to cope with a packed concourse.
Luckily, before the match, we'd had a couple of pints in The Old Crown pub in the Digbeth area, not far from the ground. Digbeth is full of old warehouses and empty lots, and also houses much of Birmingham's night-life. The Old Crown is a wobbly-looking half-timbered old building with a huge covered backlot behind, and it was chock full of Birmingham fans. No problems at all, though some kind gent did point out I should maybe take my hat off. I'd forgotten there was a Bluebird badge pinned to the front.
Just like to say I also enjoyed walking around the city centre. I know Birmingham is ten times the size of Cardiff, but the size and variety of shops in and around the Bull Ring was a bit of an eye-opener. Still, glad to be home, and a good point well-earned!