+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are our favourite Cardiff City games???

International

Re: What are our favourite Cardiff City games???

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How random is the Gilesports ad, Suppliers to Juventus, The Nigerian FA, Cardiff City & Newport County. Can’t imagine Gigi Peronace getting off a trolley outside Wyndham Arcade, nipping into Gilesports on the corner of Caroline St to negotiate a kit deal:
    Perhaps it was the strip Notts County leant them when theirs was wearing out.

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/no...ether-forever/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I remember that. It was on a Sunday afternoon, right?
    I’m not sure of the day but it was a daytime match I seem to remember so Sunday afternoon would make sense NYCBlue. I was in the lower grandstand terracing Canton side and there was a drunk bloke shouting Joey Jones Joey Jones through a stolen traffic cone bizarrely. I can still remember the ole oh ole oh ole oh Brazil chant too.

Some great memories in this thread such as the Leeds game. It wasn’t all bad after all.

In modern times City v Man City was something else , I did enjoy that one ands as I was fairly pissed .

How random is the Gilesports ad, Suppliers to Juventus, The Nigerian FA, Cardiff City & Newport County. Can’t imagine Gigi Peronace getting off a trolley outside Wyndham Arcade, nipping into Gilesports on the corner of Caroline St to negotiate a kit deal:
    God I miss the News of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I love threads like this because you don't have to think. The correct answer is the first one that comes to mind.

1. Man City, 1994, 1-0, FA Cup.
    2. 4-1 V brentford in a promotion season, late 1990s. Fowler's chip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fscrz0qWQ
    3. 2-1 v Leeds, 2002.
    4. Chops late winner v the jacks. God knows why, I'm really not into the rivalry thing too much but that was really memorable

No premier league game comes anywhere near that lot.

on the telly: 4-1 (or 4-2?) v Fulham away, mid 1990s.
    Add to those 4-2 at home v Mansfield - braces for the original Super Kev and the Flying Postman and spanking Wrexham 5-1 the week before we lost to Luton in the cup (John Hartson's first NP appearance).

I love reading the ads. It's like a time capsule. There's got to be a John Charles connection with Juventus and Gilesports though? It seems too random otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    God I miss the News of the World
    Spot the ball! My dad used to let me have one X and I was always convinced it would be the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Perhaps it was the strip Notts County leant them when theirs was wearing out.

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/no...ether-forever/
    I just read that, it's really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    For me, the Real Madrid game, with Brian Clark’s header. Winning at Fulham, 2-1 with Jordan Mutch scoring the winner in front of us. Also, winning at Brentford when we were down to 10 men? and Alex Revell scored the winner ? Wales v Scotland, where Jock Stein sadly lost his life. We were opposite on the Bob bank and could see something going on, but only when we got to the pub after, did we know what had happened.
    Attachment 4712

Stand outs:

2000(ish) home v Bristol Rovers in the cup. I seem to recall Earnie scoring 3. Just stands out
    2002 v Leeds
    2002 v Wrexham. Absolutely smashed
    2003 play off final
    2008(ish) v Birmingham at home. Top of the league and first league sell out for 30 years or something?
    2010 Doncaster at home (4-0) sell out, Bellamy etc.
    2010 Leicester home play off semi
    2013 League cup semi final home
    2013 League cup final
    2018 City 0-0 Reading. Promotion. Felt like the first one after the rebrand debacle.
    2019 Southampton 1-2 City. First game after Sala. Atmosphere was incredible. Felt like we were staying up

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm in that pic somewhere, just a tad below Clarkie's right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Here's another one from the same match.

Attachment 4713

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    5-1 away win at Fulham in the late 60’s

The best day out ever
    Along with Hereford at home in 1976 and, of course, Real Madrid.

My worst was my first ever away trip...Southport in the FA Cup and of course we lost!

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Along with Hereford at home in 1976 and, of course, Real Madrid.

My worst was my first ever away trip...Southport in the FA Cup and of course we lost!
    That 0-2 at Haig Avenue was regarded as a major shock at the time, little did they know how we’d approach the Cup years & years later.

The two relegation deciders against Middlesbrough in 1966 (5-3) and Palace in 1974 (1-1) stand out from distant times. More recently the home play-off game against Leicester in 2010 was a thriller in every sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    One of my favourites and viewed from the Grange End

Real Madrid and Leeds nqat ��

Bury away 1976 to clinch promotion, Alston 1-0 Jimmy Andrews appearing in the stand after the game
    i was 18 and thought it was the start of the good times slight miscalculation
    Also FA cup semi at Wembley my Cardiff at Wembley was a dream come true

Curiosity got the better of me so have to ask, OP said there was a reason for the thread. What was it?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Curiosity got the better of me so have to ask, OP said there was a reason for the thread. What was it?
    Well....we are planning to move house, and I am slowly clearing the attic, where I have programmes/scrapbooks/football echoes etc going back to 1959-60. What I thought I would do is to publish to a website a selection of each and ALSO add videos of people's favourite games....although of course I can't include everyone's choice. Not much in the way of videos for the sixties especially - would have loved to find v Aston Villa for promotion and v v Tottenham win 3-2. Can't find Fulham 1 City 5 either, nor the v Palace relegation win 5-3.
    Hope to get this done by Christmas - at least first upload.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    The two relegation deciders against Middlesbrough in 1966 (5-3) and Palace in 1974 (1-1) stand out from distant times. More recently the home play-off game against Leicester in 2010 was a thriller in every sense.
    The Boro game was fantastic, didn’t Greg Farrell get a hat trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Well....we are planning to move house, and I am slowly clearing the attic, where I have programmes/scrapbooks/football echoes etc going back to 1959-60. What I thought I would do is to publish to a website a selection of each and ALSO add videos of people's favourite games....although of course I can't include everyone's choice. Not much in the way of videos for the sixties especially - would have loved to find v Aston Villa for promotion and v v Tottenham win 3-2. Can't find Fulham 1 City 5 either, nor the v Palace relegation win 5-3.
    Hope to get this done by Christmas - at least first upload.
    Great idea

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    The Boro game was fantastic, didn’t Greg Farrell get a hat trick?
    It became known as the 'Farrell match' and to this day I would rate his performance as the best individual display by a City player in the 60+ years I've been watching. He only scored one of the goals however and that was a penalty. There was a hat-trick in that match however, and that was from from Boro's centre-half Dickie Rooks.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    It became known as the 'Farrell match' and to this day I would rate his performance as the best individual display by a City player in the 60+ years I've been watching. He only scored one of the goals however and that was a penalty. There was a hat-trick in that match however, and that was from from Boro's centre-half Dickie Rooks.
    Where did I get the idea he got a hat trick, I was at the game as well. You are right about his performance, he was phenomenal. A City legend as far as I’m concerned and the best winger at the Club in the 68 years I’ve followed them, only downside was when he left he was convicted of burglary, please don’t tell me I’ve got that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Where did I get the idea he got a hat trick, I was at the game as well. You are right about his performance, he was phenomenal. A City legend as far as I’m concerned and the best winger at the Club in the 68 years I’ve followed them, only downside was when he left he was convicted of burglary, please don’t tell me I’ve got that wrong.

Wasn’t he known as ‘Fingers’ Farrell when he was here due to his prowess in his other profession?