+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Support Bands

Re: Great Support Bands

greatest support ' the ex lion tamers ' the worlds best[only] wire tribute band , they played old wire stuff the band didnt want to do anymore , then the headliners wire did all their new stuff genius

Went to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol Theatre in the 70’s. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers we’re the support band. You just knew this band were going to be huge. Big mistake to put them as support with Nils Lofgren . Felt sorry for him when he came on. No way was he going to match the previous 45 minutes. Went. To Buffalo Records the next day to buy TP and the Heartbreakers debut album. Best £1.99 I ever spent. Still got the album.

Thought Squeeze were amazing in Monday night.

I once saw Bob Dylan supported by Nick Lowe, UB40 and Santana. Dylan’s guests were Clapton, Christie Hynde and Van Morrison!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    UB40 to The Pretenders down The Rank.
    I went to that! My first ever gig! 5th Feb 1980.

Whereas reggae was never
    my thing they certainly made an impression. ‘King/Food For Thought’ had just been released and ‘Brass In Pocket’ was at number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Top Rank: Thin Lizzy warm up act to Suzy Quatro and Slade .

Green Day : T.J.'s Xmas Gig 23rd Dec 1991 the excellent Midway Still headlined
    Saw Midway Still at Glastonbury , 92 if I remember

Quality noise from a rock trio

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    greatest support ' the ex lion tamers ' the worlds best[only] wire tribute band , they played old wire stuff the band didnt want to do anymore , then the headliners wire did all their new stuff genius
    Wire were a great band , huge influence on Helmet

Anvil supporting Motorhead 1983 , St David's Hall

Anvil were hilarious and very heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I went to that! My first ever gig! 5th Feb 1980.

Whereas reggae was never
    my thing they certainly made an impression. ‘King/Food For Thought’ had just been released and ‘Brass In Pocket’ was at number 1.
    I went to that gig too. At the time, I couldn't understand all the fuss about UB40. I thought they were boring.

I think that was the first time I went to the Top Rank. Still only 14.

I was at that one too.

Can't recall much of the gig but i do remember Pretenders drummer losing what seemed like dozens of drumsticks.

Either he hit them so hard or he didn't grip them properly.

UB40 have never done it for me, boring is the correct word I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I was at that one too.

Can't recall much of the gig but i do remember Pretenders drummer losing what seemed like dozens of drumsticks.

Either he hit them so hard or he didn't grip them properly.

UB40 have never done it for me, boring is the correct word I think.
    Selecter , two tone , enjoyed that

Not a fan of UB40 or reggae really apart from some of the heavy stuff like culture

urusai yatsura and "A" were both Excellent support acts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Saw Midway Still at Glastonbury , 92 if I remember

Quality noise from a rock trio

Indeed so much better than Green Day in my opinion

Who was fighting ?

Cardiff Aggro
    Was it the top Nova Mob lol

I wasn’t a huge fan of Queen until the gig at Wembley in the 80s but liked their older stuff but the concert was incredible. The support acts were The Alarm and INXS who were brilliant. My dad drove me and my mate Snowy if my memory serves me right and it was epic.

I wish I’d seen more gigs in my youth but the rave scene seemed to take over mine and my mates’ time for a few years listening to some dodgy overhyped stuff which I thought was great at the time. I wish I’d seen the likes of Sabbath, The Stones, The Stone Roses and Talking Heads.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Saw The Cure opening for Siouxsie and The Banshees at Sophia Gardens in 1979. Was literally the 2nd gig I ever went to.
    Epic! That must have been incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    EMF at the Adamski gig in Newport

lively outside aswell
    saw them years ago there were probably 10 people at the gig...it went downhill from there

Budgie supporting Ozzy

Quote Originally Posted by Brisbane CCFC View Post
    I wasn’t a huge fan of Queen until the gig at Wembley in the 80s but liked their older stuff but the concert was incredible. The support acts were The Alarm and INXS who were brilliant. My dad drove me and my mate Snowy if my memory serves me right and it was epic.

I wish I’d seen more gigs in my youth but the rave scene seemed to take over mine and my mates’ time for a few years listening to some dodgy overhyped stuff which I thought was great at the time. I wish I’d seen the likes of Sabbath, The Stones, The Stone Roses and Talking Heads.
    I saw Sabbath

Flipping incredible band

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    I was at the Slade Gig and it stood out for me because the support made it big , especially lizzy.,
    Lizzy played their new single " Whiskey in jar " , and quatro played " can the can " .
    A sexy guitar playing woman with her leather zip up suit was unusual at the time, and welcome for a young teenager .
    Watched the documentary on Phil Lynott last week and was amazed to find out that Midge Ure stepped in to play guitar on their American tour when Gary Moore quit half way through.
    Never knew he played in Thin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Went to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol Theatre in the 70’s. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers we’re the support band. You just knew this band were going to be huge. Big mistake to put them as support with Nils Lofgren . Felt sorry for him when he came on. No way was he going to match the previous 45 minutes. Went. To Buffalo Records the next day to buy TP and the Heartbreakers debut album. Best £1.99 I ever spent. Still got the album.
    I saw them both at Knebworth sometime in the 70s. Tom Petty was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I went to that gig too. At the time, I couldn't understand all the fuss about UB40. I thought they were boring.

I think that was the first time I went to the Top Rank. Still only 14.
    I saw UB40 about 1990 at the NEC in Birmingham, they were awful.
    I saw the Pretenders much more recently at St David's Hall, not the same band as they were back then, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Watched the documentary on Phil Lynott last week and was amazed to find out that Midge Ure stepped in to play guitar on their American tour when Gary Moore quit half way through.
    Never knew he played in Thin Lizzy
    Did you know that he was in a crap boy band from Glasgow called Slik in the mid 70s?

Anvil supporting Motorhead 1983 , St David's Hall

Anvil were hilarious and very heavy
    Yes saw it and agree

Happy Mondays supported James at the Ritz in Mcr. God knows when. The place was rocking for the Mondays . Great gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    I was at the Slade Gig and it stood out for me because the support made it big , especially lizzy.,
    Lizzy played their new single " Whiskey in jar " , and quatro played " can the can " .
    A sexy guitar playing woman with her leather zip up suit was unusual at the time, and welcome for a young teenager .
    Oooooh I can still see that tight leather zipped up suit ,ooooh .

Slade were very loud that night.