+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City support from the Cardiff area's?

City support from the Cardiff area's?

Back in the 80s and 90s i remember City having a very good following from the Docks , Ely and Llanrumney area's.
    Do these places still have a big interest in watching the city?
    What other parts of Cardiff follow us in good numbers?

Re: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Back in the 80s and 90s i remember City having a very good following from the Docks , Ely and Llanrumney area's.
    Groups from the areas you mention also had significant issues with each other back then too, you could throw Fairwater/pentrebane into that scenario too.

I moved to Heath 18 months ago. It doesn’t appear to be a hotbed for City fans.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Groups from the areas you mention also had significant issues with each other back then too, you could throw Fairwater/pentrebane into that scenario too.
    Do the docks lot still go?
    They had quite a scary following once upon a time..

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I moved to Heath 18 months ago. It doesn’t appear to be a hotbed for City fans.
    Well, i'm just around the corner from you, so there's at least 2 of us The Youngers Chippy on Caerphilly Rd is kitted out in City pics etc.The Barbers shop opposite the Birchgrove pub has a City themed stain glass window and a little further north is the butvhers arms in rhiwbina which used to be packed out with City memorabilia. North cardiff is a hotbed

Do the docks lot still go?
    They had quite a scary following once upon a time..
    Most are either dead, in jail or banned….. I’m sure a few still go but don’t see many of them. A guy I knew from fairwater back in the late 80’s said he stopped going as it was just too much hassle with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well, i'm just around the corner from you, so there's at least 2 of us The Youngers Chippy on Caerphilly Rd is kitted out in City pics etc.The Barbers shop opposite the Birchgrove pub has a City themed stain glass window and a little further north is the butvhers arms in rhiwbina which used to be packed out with City memorabilia. North cardiff is a hotbed
    I live in Heath, city fan next door and 4 doors along ( I don’t know anyone past this far anyway )

Most are either dead, in jail or banned….. I’m sure a few still go but don’t see many of them. A guy I knew from fairwater back in the late 80’s said he stopped going as it was just too much hassle with them.
    They'd all be in their 50's now

I live in Heath, city fan next door and 4 doors along ( I don’t know anyone past this far anyway )
    There's a healthy contingent from the flyover up to the deri pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    They'd all be in their 50's now
    Most about that, I’m not sure most of them went for their love of football so might not be inclined to go the ccs these days!

I don’t think we get much support from the people who live in cardiff anyway, we never really have if you consider the city’s population (say 380,000), we dont even get 5%.

I haven't seen any City fans in St Mellons area, apart from my sons (and one of them now lives in Roath)

Used to be a healthy contingent from llanishen and Whitchurch

I don’t think we get much support from the people who live in cardiff anyway, we never really have if you consider the city’s population (say 380,000), we dont even get 5%.
    Seems that way. I work for a large institution that is full to the brim of blokes who would fit the job description of being a city fan. I've not heard one of them mention us.

Used to be a healthy contingent from llanishen and Whitchurch
    Yup, a good few from Whitchurch. Whitchurch is a football suburb, no doubt about that.

Poor support from Cardiff

We are lucky CCFC has a big catchment area or things would be even worse

Barry , Bridgend , Maesteg , Porthcawl , Caerphilly, Pontypridd , The Valleys

Porthcawl has loads of Cardiff City fans

A lot of Cardiffs feeder towns have a real affinity for the football club

Sadly I don't think that's mirrored by the population locally

Now of course we are not a very successful club but there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example

Maybe it's just my take on things but if a small town like Porthcawl can regularly arrange coaches for away matches then you have to ask why most of the suburbs of Cardiff don't have a pub or social club or supporters branches ?

There are websites for Porthcawl , Maesteg supporters , I don't know of a Grangetown , Canton or Roath branch ?

I have always found that a bit odd

But both Liverpool and Man United have coaches going to see them from Cardiff I believe

Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.
    This is the thing I don't understand , we are more successful now , an established second flight team , yet there was more support when we were crap

I don't get it

Not sure how anyone can tell unless you define a city fan as someone who walks around with a city top on. Only people who would really know will be those that have access to the ticket/members database.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Now of course we are not a very successful club but there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example

Maybe it's just my take on things but if a small town like Porthcawl can regularly arrange coaches for away matches then you have to ask why most of the suburbs of Cardiff don't have a pub or social club or supporters branches ?

There are websites for Porthcawl , Maesteg supporters , I don't know of a Grangetown , Canton or Roath branch ?

But both Liverpool and Man United have coaches going to see them from Cardiff I believe
    Do the supporters branches also use it for travel to home games though?

I wouldn't know what I'd do with a Thornhill supporters group. That may just be me though.

Could some of the pride for the club of places further west be in their closer proximity to Swansea. Or maybe in general its that thing of when you are removed (even if not that far) from somewhere you band together with like minded people.

Cardiff absolutely has an awful amount of plastic prem fans and it's a shame we couldn't have been more successful in our past to have attracted more of them in the first place.

Newport is the same on a smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Do the supporters branches also use it for travel to home games though?

I wouldn't know what I'd do with a Thornhill supporters group. That may just be me though.

Could some of the pride for the club of places further west be in their closer proximity to Swansea. Or maybe in general its that thing of when you are removed (even if not that far) from somewhere you band together with like minded people.

Cardiff absolutely has an awful amount of plastic prem fans and it's a shame we couldn't have been more successful in our past to have attracted more of them in the first place.

Newport is the same on a smaller scale.
    The Maesteg and Porthcawl supporters use group transport for home and away games

I grew up in Ely, and we had a very big support then, including the famous Millbank mob from lower Ely.
    I now live in Canton, where there is still a big interest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Why would there be a Canton branch? You can walk to the ground, there's no need to have any organisation. There's also less need to advertise yourself as a Cardiff fan if you live in the city. It's the same with flags, people from a town outside Cardiff are likely to put that on a flag, whereas you're less likely to put your suburb of Cardiff on there

What do you mean don't have a pub? The Admiral Napier, Canton Cross, Canton Hotel, even the Landsdowne (last time I was there) all have a bunch of Cardiff City memerobilia in there and that's just a small corner of Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Some are still following City but moved away from Llanrumney

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Why would there be a Canton branch? You can walk to the ground, there's no need to have any organisation. There's also less need to advertise yourself as a Cardiff fan if you live in the city. It's the same with flags, people from a town outside Cardiff are likely to put that on a flag, whereas you're less likely to put your suburb of Cardiff on there

What do you mean don't have a pub? The Admiral Napier, Canton Cross, Canton Hotel, even the Landsdowne (last time I was there) all have a bunch of Cardiff City memerobilia in there and that's just a small corner of Canton.
    Grangetown Supporters club Fair play to sludge..