+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Re: City support from the Cardiff area's?

I think the digs at Cardiff rugby are a bit unfair. I've got a season ticket for the rugby and also manage at least 50% of city's games home and away.

Cardiff rugby don't get great crowds, that is true. The crowd they do get is nothing like the Welsh international type though. It's a decent set of fans who are passionate about their team. There's not much of that hymn singing crap and lots of shouting. Certainly don't think your average Cardiff rugby fan would have any bad feelings towards Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think the digs at Cardiff rugby are a bit unfair. I've got a season ticket for the rugby and also manage at least 50% of city's games home and away.

Cardiff rugby don't get great crowds, that is true. The crowd they do get is nothing like the Welsh international type though. It's a decent set of fans who are passionate about their team. There's not much of that hymn singing crap and lots of shouting. Certainly don't think your average Cardiff rugby fan would have any bad feelings towards Cardiff City.
    Yeah very different to the 6 nations crowd (drunk middle aged women mainly these days), they attend club matches and probably know the rules. You get the feeling Welsh National team crowds all go to games also….proper fans.

Old mate of mine from Splott, massive CRFC fan, actually wasn’t struck on the ‘Blues’ franchise and gave up attending Wales games years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Blackpool , bedlam up there , even before CCFC turned up , then it got worse
    Yeah last time I went to Blackpool (1989) our mini bus didn’t show up by empire pool, the loony bus swung by (mainly croesy and the docks crew) and we were left with little choice to get on as they needed bodies to fill their coach. I did feel fortunate to get home that day, the coach was half empty on the way back and mainly full of stolen clothes…..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Old mate of mine from Splott, massive CRFC fan, actually wasn’t struck on the ‘Blues’ franchise and gave up attending Wales games years ago.
    I think the way the regions were pushed through alienated a lot of people. Especially the way that teams like ponty were completely stitched up. Completely off topic, but I always thought ponty rfc should have told the wru where to go and joined the English leagues. With their fanbase and player production , they'd have probably had a fair chance of getting to the premiership and being the biggest rugby side in Wales.

I think the way the regions were pushed through alienated a lot of people. Especially the way that teams like ponty were completely stitched up. Completely off topic, but I always thought ponty rfc should have told the wru where to go and joined the English leagues. With their fanbase and player production , they'd have probably had a fair chance of getting to the premiership and being the biggest rugby side in Wales.
    They completely ****ed up where ponty were concerned. Conveyor belt of players in the valleys and the fan base for a good level team.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    They completely ****ed up where ponty were concerned. Conveyor belt of players in the valleys and the fan base for a good level team.
    Pontypridd used to get very big gates. They had a really passionate following. As you say, the WRU really messed that up, thinking Pont supporters would switch to Cardiff Blues.

Yes

We took about 600 to our first away in the old fourth to hartlepool but it soon dwindled

In 1986 I was living in Manchester, went to see CCFC v Bury and we had no more than 150 fans

In the late eighties we got relegated at Bury , losing 2 nil and took 2000 fans but it was a do or die game and of course any fairly big club would take a decent support , Bristol Rovers , Plymouth , Stoke etc

We could always get big support for the important games but this idea we were followed by thousands away week in week out is a myth

We played Scarborough in April 1993 in our promotion season . We took 500 .

But a week later played the league leaders York in a crunch match so we had 2000 there

Like our home support our away support has always been up and down

That was then however , it's excellent now
    1990 and it was a bank holiday weekend. And the weather was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    1990 and it was a bank holiday weekend. And the weather was nice.
    Indeed it was

It was so hot there was a gorilla in the cardiff seating section

But he got arrested at half time , presumably to put him on a plane to Rwanda

Via Treorchy

Well my experience , especially away from home in the first time in the old fourth division that for many trips we would have about 250 away fans and 3 coaches , about 150 , would come from Bridgend , Barry and Pontypridd

Two coaches were run by Mike Lambert , originally from Aberdare then Bridgend , Mike Pearce from Barry and the third coach was valleys run by roy and mair daniel from Pontypridd.

And these coaches would all meet at ninian Park and they would be full of fans from outside Cardiff before they got there

For most of the games that was it , about 3 coaches , most of the people on them from outside Cardiff. On our coach we would often have a group of lads from port Talbot and Porthcawl.

I think it's fair to say our away fans then , as now we're very loyal to ccfc and most of them were not from Cardiff

There are loyal fans from Cardiff it's just that as with our crowds, there are not enough of them . Far too many people from this part of the world find excuses not to get behind CCFC . Tony Clemo might not have been everybody's favourite chairman but he said as much many years ago .
    That's your experience not mine.
    Obviously if I went away with the City it would be with lads from my area plus you knew all the City fans from Cardiff areas as you knew them from getting the train or drinking in town.
    I know City fans from all areas of Cardiff who were going when we were shit and still go today.
    I'm not having this support for the club is or has been bigger from areas outside the city.
    Because it's not my experience

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    That's your experience not mine.
    Obviously if I went away with the City it would be with lads from my area plus you knew all the City fans from Cardiff areas as you knew them from getting the train or drinking in town.
    I know City fans from all areas of Cardiff who were going when we were shit and still go today.
    I'm not having this support for the club is or has been bigger from areas outside the city.
    Because it's not my experience
    Of course it was

If 250 fans were at Rochdale and 150 of those fans were on coaches carrying fans from outside of Cardiff then the majority of hard core fans came from outside Cardiff

Dead

Of course it was

If 250 fans were at Rochdale and 150 of those fans were on coaches carrying fans from outside of Cardiff then the majority of hard core fans came from outside Cardiff

Dead
    Great thread to distract from Strictly. Welling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Birmingham City is a weird one as well.
    Second biggest city, but most of those who live in the area support Aston Villa.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that Aston Villa was the be rebranded as Aston Villa Birmingham. As they were the biggest club in Birmingham.
    well i,m going to challenge that claim

My time in Birmingham which was about 5 years on and off I would say that the bulk north of the city was Aston Villa land whilst the south is Birmingham city . Obviously being a huge city there are fans of both sides in all areas

I agree with villa being the biggest and best supported but for some reason they attract alot of fans outside Birmingham whilst Birmingham don't apart from Redditch . Villa have a huge fan base in most border areas like south staffordshire .Lichfield and Tamworth for example is almost 100 per cent villa .If Birmingham were in the prem they would get big crowds too

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    well i,m going to challenge that claim

My time in Birmingham which was about 5 years on and off I would say that the bulk north of the city was Aston Villa land whilst the south is Birmingham city . Obviously being a huge city there are fans of both sides in all areas

I agree with villa being the biggest and best supported but for some reason they attract alot of fans outside Birmingham whilst Birmingham don't apart from Redditch . Villa have a huge fan base in most border areas like south staffordshire .Lichfield and Tamworth for example is almost 100 per cent villa .If Birmingham were in the prem they would get big crowds too
    Villa are for the posh types in Sutton Coldfield , Solihull , Knowle , Worcestershire

Birmingham City are the working class club of the South and East

West Brom are the North West of Birmingham

Villa are for the posh types in Sutton Coldfield , Solihull , Knowle , Worcestershire

I was in Birmingham today, the pubs were full of Villa fans all afternoon due to the postponed game.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I was in Birmingham today, the pubs were full of Villa fans all afternoon due to the postponed game.
    They would be , if Villa were at home

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'm a Ponty boy originally and I remember the specials running down to NP in the 60 s, on a Saturday, usually full. Ponty rugby team was lucky to get 2 men and a dog for their matches at Ynysangharad Park, 200 was a big crowd. I would pop down now and again if City were away and I had nothing better to do.
    Times have certainly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not seen that before….
    Not sure what sludge is on about with regard to away games, lots of cardiff boys always there we usually went in the train. Hardly ever in a coach….that was for old people
    1/3 of those lads are from Alway and Ringland in Newport.
    Talking of which, it's nuts how many Newport lads used to go in the 70's.
    Then the early/mid 80's were what they were.

I started going early 91/92 with a few lads from work
    And got hooked very quickly.
    Had plenty of trouble in Newport Town Centre back then.

Now there are plenty of City fans in Newport.

Having worked in Redditch for the last 20 years, I’d say the split is roughly 60% Villa, 20% Bluenoses, 10% West Brom and the balance split between Cov, Wolves & Polish clubs. You don’t see many shirts from Northern or London clubs.

By the way I can rustle up around 15-20 from the Forest of Dean & Monmouth. There are more City fans in this little corner of England than there are Bristol fans, although Gloucester Rugby dominates the local shirt wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I'm a Ponty boy originally and I remember the specials running down to NP in the 60 s, on a Saturday, usually full. Ponty rugby team was lucky to get 2 men and a dog for their matches at Ynysangharad Park, 200 was a big crowd. I would pop down now and again if City were away and I had nothing better to do.
    Times have certainly changed.
    fellow Ponty boy here, Trallwn, yep crowds were not great in the park
    team and support took off when the moved to Sardis road,
    Ponty support from then on was as good as anyone in Wales and at the time the regions were formed they were the premier team in Wales and produced loads of Internationals
    remember the 60s specials to NP
    and was a regular on Mair Daniels coaches in the 70s
    happy days

Of course it was

Dead
    Did you go around with forms asking for address details and do a head count?
    My brother has lived in n Cardiff all his life and he travelled with the adar glass coaches back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Mike Pearce!!!! Haven't heard of him for absolutely years. Anyone know how he's doing in Scotland?
    Afraid to say Mike Pearce died about 18 months ago. I always remember him from working in the souvenir shop in the late 70s, a very nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Did you go around with forms asking for address details and do a head count?
    My brother has lived in n Cardiff all his life and he travelled with the adar glass coaches back in the day.
    I think there is only 1 conclusion to take from this. You must have made a mistake, forgotten where your brother has lived, and not realised that he's a valley boy !! The other option of course, is that sludge is talking bollocks again 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Pontypridd used to get very big gates. They had a really passionate following. As you say, the WRU really messed that up, thinking Pont supporters would switch to Cardiff Blues.
    Yeah, used to be a massive rugby town, people still talk about the big games in Europe.
    All guess work now but I think they'd have done alright in Europe as well.

I think there is only 1 conclusion to take from this. You must have made a mistake, forgotten where your brother has lived, and not realised that he's a valley boy !! The other option of course, is that sludge is talking bollocks again 😂
    Don't be daft. He's never wrong. The font of all knowledge, what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing etc.