+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Re: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The club are not going to do that , it's far too simple

One thing that surprised me was that something like 75 percent on man United season ticket holders came from greater Manchester according to their database ?
    Not that surprising.

People still have to commute to games and you'd have to say that is more likely to happen with people living closer.

25 percent of ST traveling from all over the country is still some number.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Not that surprising.

People still have to commute to games and you'd have to say that is more likely to happen with people living closer.

25 percent of ST traveling from all over the country is still some number.
    Back in the late 90's when I was living and working in London, I used to go to Highbury with a mate, and the 5 mile ST catchment at the time was something crazy like over 80%. It was a very local club.

Look at our attendances
    Despite a dreadful season we have the 9th highest average attendance in the league.

It's a shame that the inner city areas of Cardiff and the rest of the city are not as loyal as you

But if CCFC had a strong local following and was an identity like some other clubs are to their area then things might be different

But they are not

People said when we got back in the championship we have big gates

Well we have had better gates since coming back up but our support is disappointing both within Cardiff and given our huge catchment area

If our local support was better then given the size of Cardiff we would have better gates

It's just the way it is
    We need to play attractive football first and foremost. We blew two chances in the PL. Gates won't be a problem then. When we were playing Leeds and Villa in the championship back in '17 there were crowds of almost 30K. A hell of a lot of local and Cardiff supporters too. We've always agreed that the club doesn't do enough to attract diversity though. That's where we could increase support by thousands within 2 or 3 miles of the club. I don't know why we haven't got our act togetehr by now.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Despite a dreadful season we have the 9th highest average attendance in the league.
    That's pretty impressive considering the Covid factor. We also have great away support too.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That's pretty impressive considering the Covid factor. We also have great away support too.
    Logic would indicate that if they were consistent, a certain poster will soon turn up and claim that great away support isn't really great due to not being made up of Cardiff based fans, despite having zero evidence for their case.

Well if you think Cardiff City is represented in South East Wales and particularly in Cardiff in the same way Portsmouth are down that way I will have some of what you are smoking
    Show me where I said that.

You can keep what you are smoking.

It is well known on here you won't lose an argument, even sometimes when it os clear you are you are losing one, you turn into the shhouty man who shouts lounder and more frequently than everybody else so win by default...

As you were.

We in the Taunton Bluebirds Group (aka TBG) hold our meetings in a local phone box and without having to remove the defibrillator or paperbacks. My fellow car-sharer to City games takes the tap end.

Birmingham City is a weird one as well.
    Second biggest city, but most of those who live in the area support Aston Villa.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that Aston Villa was the be rebranded as Aston Villa Birmingham. As they were the biggest club in Birmingham.

there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example
    Really? I've always thought Cardiff people have great pride in the city, mirrored by those who come to Cardiff from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? I've always thought Cardiff people have great pride in the city, mirrored by those who come to Cardiff from outside.
    Well people will come to Cardiff to work and study and end up staying but I don't think that's got anything at all to do with the pride cardiffians have , or don't have , in their city

That's the same for most places

I prefer Cardiff to Bristol but lots of people go there and end up staying

For a city of its size Cardiff has lots to do but I don't get the feeling it's close to its citizens hearts in the same way Newcastle is

The football team , the rugby team , the poor live music scene , its almost as if people can't be arsed

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Birmingham City is a weird one as well.
    Second biggest city, but most of those who live in the area support Aston Villa.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that Aston Villa was the be rebranded as Aston Villa Birmingham. As they were the biggest club in Birmingham.
    Villa are basically the man United of the west Midlands and are disliked by Birmingham, West Brom and wolves fans for the attention they get

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Show me where I said that.

You can keep what you are smoking.

It is well known on here you won't lose an argument, even sometimes when it os clear you are you are losing one, you turn into the shhouty man who shouts lounder and more frequently than everybody else so win by default...

As you were.
    You have said that as this has been your contribution to this thread . I can only debate with you what you put on the table .

Cardiff City are poorly supported in general and the support from the local population has never been very good .

That's the way it is .

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic would indicate that if they were consistent, a certain poster will soon turn up and claim that great away support isn't really great due to not being made up of Cardiff based fans, despite having zero evidence for their case.
    Our away support is great so I have to disagree with you there

Being from CF5 here's my take on it.
    In Cardiff we have a City divided by sport football and rugby.
    I'm obviously football and find as soon as you go over Canton bridge into town as a Cardiff City fan there are many places you are not welcome ridiculous in your own city.
    Also I think many, not all, Cardiff blues/Rugby fans hate us so won't cross the divide and so it's easier to be a plastic Manu or Liverpool fan.
    We've always had a decent support from Ely and some of the older heads I know say when we were really shit Cardiff was the predominant support for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Being from CF5 here's my take on it.
    In Cardiff we have a City divided by sport football and rugby.
    I'm obviously football and find as soon as you go over Canton bridge into town as a Cardiff City fan there are many places you are not welcome ridiculous in your own city.
    Also I think many, not all, Cardiff blues/Rugby fans hate us so won't cross the divide and so it's easier to be a plastic Manu or Liverpool fan.
    We've always had a decent support from Ely and some of the older heads I know say when we were really shit Cardiff was the predominant support for the club.
    I don’t think cardiff blues are our competition in any way at all. They seem to attract older people from what I’ve seen. They pull about 5000?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t think cardiff blues are our competition in any way at all. They seem to attract older people from what I’ve seen. They pull about 5000?
    Cardiff blues /Rugby
    You know Welsh Rugby top on on a Saturday Manu/Liverpool top on on a Super Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Cardiff blues /Rugby
    You know Welsh Rugby top on on a Saturday Manu/Liverpool top on on a Super Sunday
    I understand the point you are making. It does seem that plenty of people who live in the city don't identify with it in the same way that a person from swansea might identify with their City. It could be down to Cardiff being a capital city, more pressure to dilute the actual culture of the city in order to dhow a more representation towards Wales, especially over the past 20 years or so, maybe since the birth of the senedd. Who knows.

These Boys are representing, Sludge

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

For real bruh!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    For real bruh!
    I enjoyed it, especially the lads from Barry

I understand the point you are making. It does seem that plenty of people who live in the city don't identify with it in the same way that a person from swansea might identify with their City. It could be down to Cardiff being a capital city, more pressure to dilute the actual culture of the city in order to dhow a more representation towards Wales, especially over the past 20 years or so, maybe since the birth of the senedd. Who knows.
    It can't be overestimated just how much our violent fan base had in alienating CCFC in the city though. It was massive. During the 80's the old Cardiff Rugby Club was well supported and was felt like a 'safe' place to go for anyone. You could only get international rugby tickets if you were a member of a club (in fact when I was a nipper most people who went to the rugby were members or played). We were a nightmare and disliked. This has been hard to shrug off but it's happening. I speak to cabbies who still think we kick the sh*t out of each other on a Saturday!

I enjoyed it, especially the lads from Barry
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's nothing more fetching than seeing pot-bellied men in their fifties shoe-horned into football tops that are designed for much fitter specimens.
    Is this you looking in the mirror just before leaving the house on a matchday 🙂

Edit - just remembered that you're in your 60s