+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2

3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2

If you had to stick with this formation, with 3 at the back, attacking wing backs etc - what would be your ideal Cardiff team using only players from the last 20 years, (at their peak for us)?

Re: 3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2

Alexander

Loovens
    Hudson
    Bamba

Giles
    Whitts
    Koumas
    McNaughton

Rambo

Chopra
    Bothroyd

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Alexander

Loovens
    Hudson
    Bamba

Giles
    Whitts
    Koumas
    McNaughton

Rambo

Chopra
    Bothroyd
    interesting.
    it's a tricky one, as some decent players are going to miss out.

I hate McNaughton as a wing back though, and a whitts and koumas midfield duo would be great with the ball but terrible without it

mine would be

Marshall

McNaughton Gabbidon Connolly

Ramsey Medel Kavanagh Giles

Whitts

Bothroyd Moore

Ramsey at wingback is a bit of a stretch, but I was struggling for options there, and he did play at right back for us.

Twin towers up top for Ramsey and Giles to aim crosses at.

breaks my heart not to have mcphail in there, he'd be on the bench

Some left field selections here which need the players concerned to be at their very best to merit inclusion;-

Marshall

Blake
    Gabbidon
    Vidmar

Giles
    Ramsey
    McPhail
    Ledley

Whitts

Bothroyd
    Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Some left field selections here which need the players concerned to be at their very best to merit inclusion;-

Marshall

Blake
    Gabbidon
    Vidmar

Giles
    Ramsey
    McPhail
    Ledley

Whitts

Bothroyd
    Bellamy
    I get Blake in the back 3, that could have been his thing

In that sort of formation you need a ball winner and dirty dog

Boland or Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I get Blake in the back 3, that could have been his thing
    Darcy or Nathan ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Darcy or Nathan ?
    I'm assuming Darcy

Marshall

Hudson
    Medel
    Gabbidon

Ramsey
    Gunnarsson
    McPhail
    Ledley

Whitts

Bellamy
    Bothroyd

I'm assuming Darcy
    You assume right, Nathan would be interesting in that position, but you only have to listen to his podcast to realise he probably wouldn’t have bothered to turn up if he was picked to play at the back - he’s from a different generation anyway.

Right wing back isa bugger to fill. Apart from Giles, I don’t think we have anyone from the time you talk of who could be called a proven performer at wing back and I don’t like playing him on the right, but no one else sprang to mind for me - think a young Ledley would have made a decent wing back though.

You assume right, Nathan would be interesting in that position, but you only have to listen to his podcast to realise he probably wouldn’t have bothered to turn up if he was picked to play at the back - he’s from a different generation anyway.

Right wing back isa bugger to fill. Apart from Giles, I don’t think we have anyone from the time you talk of who could be called a proven performer at wing back and I don’t like playing him on the right, but no one else sprang to mind for me - think a young Ledley would have made a decent wing back though.
    yeah I struggled with RWB. personally I would go for a winger who can defend a bit rather than a defender who can attack a bit

At their peak you have to play Robbie Fowler, Bellamy, Trevor Sinclair and Jimmy Floyd or are we only counting peak whilst at cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    At their peak you have to play Robbie Fowler, Bellamy, Trevor Sinclair and Jimmy Floyd or are we only counting peak whilst at cardiff
    Wilf Zaha as well, but yeah only their peak at cardiff

interesting.
    it's a tricky one, as some decent players are going to miss out.

I hate McNaughton as a wing back though, and a whitts and koumas midfield duo would be great with the ball but terrible without it
    Super Kev is not a wing back I agree but I'm not thinking of many we've had that could play rwb, my memory is shit as well.

Swap Rambo and Koumas, I dunno, I just wanted them 3 in the team as they're my 3 favourite midfielders I suppose I could slot Kav in there but now you're asking me to take one out and I don't want to.

I just did it for a bit of fun tbh didn't really think of how it would all work in a game situation

To be fair, I picked Vidmar based on what he did for Rangers, so my selection is a bit hypocritical, because players like Fowler and Hasselbaink didn’t even enter my mind - think Sinclair could have been a good right wing back.

RWB - Just getting in under the 20 year wire: Disco Des! Although I think he was only RWB at Newcastle. Or Jordi Osei-Tutu, although that's based on about 40 minutes of action.

hopefully we settle the RWB position once and for all in January when we get Nico Williams on loan for the season, and move Perry Ng into the back 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    RWB - Just getting in under the 20 year wire: Disco Des! Although I think he was only RWB at Newcastle. Or Jordi Osei-Tutu, although that's based on about 40 minutes of action.
    Osei-Tutu would be a possibility if he could get out on the pitch - has he played at all for Forest (just checked, Wikipedia says he has played twice for them).

Osei-Tutu would be a possibility if he could get out on the pitch - has he played at all for Forest (just checked, Wikipedia says he has played twice for them).
    did his hamstring after 17 minutes of the second game if the season and had been out until the last 2 matches, which he played.
    got a year left at arsenal come the summer.

Don Cowie would probably make a decent wing back

did his hamstring after 17 minutes of the second game if the season and had been out until the last 2 matches, which he played.
    got a year left at arsenal come the summer.

To be fair, I picked Vidmar based on what he did for Rangers, so my selection is a bit hypocritical, because players like Fowler and Hasselbaink didn’t even enter my mind - think Sinclair could have been a good right wing back.
    If we're going for 'could have been' - what about Noone? Genuine question, why does Giles get into most of these sides? What am I not seeing when you consider the other players we've had over the last 20 who have proven themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If we're going for 'could have been' - what about Noone? Genuine question, why does Giles get into most of these sides? What am I not seeing when you consider the other players we've had over the last 20 who have proven themselves?
    0.5 assists per 90 minutes so far
    40% of all assists in this team this season.

0.5 assists per 90 minutes so far
    40% of all assists in this team this season.
    OK, I get that, but there are other players over the last 20 years who surely would be better if slotted into that role? For me, Giles is the best of a bad bunch this season. He'd definitely not be in my all-time starting 11 even at those formations. He's a noob!