+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FA Cup replays scrapped

FA Cup replays scrapped

There will be no FA Cup replays in round three or round four.

There are no replays from round five onwards anyway.

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    There will be no FA Cup replays in round three or round four.

There are no replays from round five onwards anyway.
    A bit harsh on any lower league clubs who might have earned a money spinning replay against one of the big boys. Even with Covid most Premier Leagues clubs could still put together a reserve / under 23 team

Least Preston won't be playing for a money spinning replay now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    A bit harsh on any lower league clubs who might have earned a money spinning replay against one of the big boys. Even with Covid most Premier Leagues clubs could still put together a reserve / under 23 team
    It is. Shame really. Especially as the money is even more important after the last few years and it's always great for lower league fans to have a replay at one of the PL clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Least Preston won't be playing for a money spinning replay now.

Come January, matches may be behind closed doors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Come January, matches may be behind closed doors anyway.
    got to be heading that way

"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It is. Shame really. Especially as the money is even more important after the last few years and it's always great for lower league fans to have a replay at one of the PL clubs.
    Both gate money and TV money aswell for some clubs. Maybe clubs should get more tv money if the tie now goes to extra time?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Both gate money and TV money aswell for some clubs. Maybe clubs should get more tv money if the tie now goes to extra time?
    if a team in EFL L1 and below Draws a team in EFL Championship / EPL the lower team should get ALL the gate and TV money

the lower league teams need protection

Well, by the time I got around to seeing this then gate receipts may even be redundant now. I'm at a loss right now. Part of me wants a suspension of all fixtures until crowds are back. I don't want to watch another televised match played in an empty stadium.

Just on the subject of gate receipts, I think Spurs gave their's to Newport a few seasons back which I thought was a class act.

Does anyone remember sometime in the 80s when Liverpool played Arsenal over and over in League Cup replays? Also, didn't we play Millwall 3 or 4 times in the FA Cup in the late 80s? There was a replay in the game before that too. (I remember everyone on the Bob Bank quietly chanting "Millwall" towards the end of the game because we knew we were playing them. I remember that day, if you fancied a day trip to London you were ****ed. It was the football special directly to New Cross or nothing. That was the only time I ever went to the Den. What a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Does anyone remember sometime in the 80s when Liverpool played Arsenal over and over in League Cup replays? Also, didn't we play Millwall 3 or 4 times in the FA Cup in the late 80s? There was a replay in the game before that too. (I remember everyone on the Bob Bank quietly chanting "Millwall" towards the end of the game because we knew we were playing them. I remember that day, if you fancied a day trip to London you were ****ed. It was the football special directly to New Cross or nothing. That was the only time I ever went to the Den. What a dump.
    Liverpool and Arsenal played four times in the Semi Final of the 79/80 FA Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979–80_FA_Cup

But a year earlier Arsenal were involved in an even longer tie against Sheffield Wednesday who were in the Third Division at the time

https://www.wsc.co.uk/2012-07-09-10-...fa-cup-replays

We played Millwall three times in the Third Round of the 86/87 FA Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986–87_FA_Cup

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

But a year earlier Arsenal were involved in an even longer tie against Sheffield Wednesday who were in the Third Division at the time

Didn't Swansea play Crystal Palace 3 or 4 times once, one of which was at Ninian Park (classed as a neutral ground ), with the game marred by a stabbing after the final whistle?

Didn't Swansea play Crystal Palace 3 or 4 times once, one of which was at Ninian Park (classed as a neutral ground ), with the game marred by a stabbing after the final whistle?
    Yes, I went to that game. Think it was 1980 as well, Swansea won 2-1 in the third match between the clubs, it was a snowy night and I think there were about twenty thousand there.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Was the Brentford game postponed? I remember it as a midweek game. I remember that Stoke game too. The only time I ever went to the Victoria Ground. We went 1-0 up at the opposite end and we didn't even release we'd scored until the players started celebrating. Kevin Bartlett missed a golden opportunity to level it at the end as I recall.

Was the Brentford game postponed? I remember it as a midweek game. I remember that Stoke game too. The only time I ever went to the Victoria Ground. We went 1-0 up at the opposite end and we didn't even release we'd scored until the players started celebrating. Kevin Bartlett missed a golden opportunity to level it at the end as I recall.
    Looking at the date, it looks like a midweek match, but I honestly can’t remember anything about the match. Think the game at Stoke could well be on You Tube.

Yes, it happened on Ninian Park Road, a few doors down from where my aunty lived at the time. I think the person concerned died, sadly.

First Team

I think I went to that game on the train from London with Peggy et al. The train had maybe half a carriage of Cardiff fans and the rest were Stokies. Peggy drank a bottle of creme de menthe, went into one of the Stoke carriages and offered the entirety of the assembled Stokies out there and then on his own. I was petrified. Incredibly, the Stokies all pretended to be fixated by the passing bucolic midlands scenery.**

**I am in no way condoning hooliganism in posting this, just relaying something that will be with me to the end of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yes, it happened on Ninian Park Road, a few doors down from where my aunty lived at the time. I think the person concerned died, sadly.
    I believe the murderer topped himself in nick. Sure I heard that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I believe the murderer topped himself in nick. Sure I heard that somewhere.
    Yes, I think you are right Bob, that seems to ring a bell

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yes, I think you are right Bob, that seems to ring a bell
    Cheers David

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I think I went to that game on the train from London with Peggy et al. The train had maybe half a carriage of Cardiff fans and the rest were Stokies. Peggy drank a bottle of creme de menthe, went into one of the Stoke carriages and offered the entirety of the assembled Stokies out there and then on his own. I was petrified. Incredibly, the Stokies all pretended to be fixated by the passing bucolic midlands scenery.**

**I am in no way condoning hooliganism in posting this, just relaying something that will be with me to the end of days.
    I get it. It's just who we were at the time. I'm not condoning it either. But we were good at it though.

Millwall away now is a good trip.

Less than 2 hours on a fancy train from Cardiff to Paddington. Lunch in a London boozer and then a train from London Bridge to South Bermondsey where there is a rat run from the platform to the away end.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Millwall away now is a good trip.

Less than 2 hours on a fancy train from Cardiff to Paddington. Lunch in a London boozer and then a train from London Bridge to South Bermondsey where there is a rat run from the platform to the away end.
    It's sheer luxury these days. Those London Pad trains are great. Much better than the junk we traveled up to Brum in!