+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CCFC_memories

CCFC_memories

Okay.....so...I have been clearing out the attic as a prelude to moving house. As somewhat of a hoarder (but all placed away neat and tidy..) I first of all went through all my historic newspapers of famous events –starting with the Manchester United Munich air disaster in 1958. In no particular order it was interesting to look back at some of the events, (and other stories adverts, sports news) including:

• Yuri Gagarin – first man in space
    • The Big Freeze in 1963 – The big freeze – I remember walking to school for months with big piles of snow on the side of the road, from below Trebanog hill (opposite the Rickards Arms) to Porth Sec.
    • Winston Churchill Funeral
    • The Cambrian Colliery explosion
    • The Aberfan school disaster
    • John Kennedy Assassination
    • The Miner’s Strike
    • The Falklands war (many), including HMS Sheffield bombed
    • Margaret Thatcher funeral#
    • Challenger Space Shuttle disaster
    • Prince Charles and Diana wedding
    • Princess Diana Death
    • Queen Mother funeral
    • Concorde crash
    • The turn of the Century....

.....and many many more

....and of course my Cardiff City memories in the form of scrapbooks through the sixties, Football echoes from the days when I used to wait at the news seller near Asteys in Cardiff centre for the first edition, then go to The Queens Hotel in St. Mary Street for a few pints before the train home to Porth.

Also, my programmes. I still have all the away games through the sixties and seventies and all the European games, but sadly I sold 18 full seasons worth of home league games (1959-60 to 1979;ish) to fund replacement of two rusty wings on the Triumph TR7 my wife had at the time...seemed like a good idea at the time...1979 I moved up to Newark so could only go to away games in the area....Doncaster, Chesterfield, Halifax in my thoughts...

Now in retirement in France I watch as many games as I can via streaming over one site or another.

Anyway, in my idle time I thought I would put my Cardiff City memories onto the internet so that others may enjoy some of the memories. There are videos I wish I could have included,
    City 3 Man United 0 on Boxing day 1961, when to universal disapproval I left my sister’s wedding reception at The Philharmonic Hotel in Cardiff to go see the game....

Then of course there was:
    City 1 Aston Villa 0 (promotion game 1960)
    City 3 Tottenham 2 (the famous double winning team).
    City 5 Crystal Palace 3 – the ‘Greg Farrell’ game.
    City 3 Everton 2 – the Friday night when my namesake Maurice Swan broke his collarbone and Derek Tapscott went in goal.
    City 5 Swansea 3

Here is the link:
    http://www.libertybs.co.uk/CCFC_memories

Hope you enjoy.

Re: CCFC_memories

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Okay.....so...I have been clearing out the attic as a prelude to moving house. As somewhat of a hoarder (but all placed away neat and tidy..) I first of all went through all my historic newspapers of famous events –starting with the Manchester United Munich air disaster in 1958. In no particular order it was interesting to look back at some of the events, (and other stories adverts, sports news) including:

• The Big Freeze in 1963 – The big freeze – I remember walking to school for months with big piles of snow on the side of the road, from below Trebanog hill (opposite the Rickards Arms) to Porth Sec.
    • The Miner’s Strike
    • Princess Diana Death
    • Queen Mother funeral
    • Concorde crash

.....and many many more

....and of course my Cardiff City memories in the form of scrapbooks through the sixties, Football echoes from the days when I used to wait at the news seller near Asteys in Cardiff centre for the first edition, then go to The Queens Hotel in St. Mary Street for a few pints before the train home to Porth.

Also, my programmes. I still have all the away games through the sixties and seventies and all the European games, but sadly I sold 18 full seasons worth of home league games (1959-60 to 1979;ish) to fund replacement of two rusty wings on the Triumph TR7 my wife had at the time...seemed like a good idea at the time...1979 I moved up to Newark so could only go to away games in the area....Doncaster, Chesterfield, Halifax in my thoughts...

Now in retirement in France I watch as many games as I can via streaming over one site or another.

Anyway, in my idle time I thought I would put my Cardiff City memories onto the internet so that others may enjoy some of the memories. There are videos I wish I could have included,
    City 3 Man United 0 on Boxing day 1961, when to universal disapproval I left my sister’s wedding reception at The Philharmonic Hotel in Cardiff to go see the game....

City 3 Everton 2 – the Friday night when my namesake Maurice Swan broke his collarbone and Derek Tapscott went in goal.
    City 5 Swansea 3

Here is the link:

Hope you enjoy.
    This is brilliant. Good job! This'll keep me out of trouble!

• The Miner’s Strike
    • Princess Diana Death
    • Queen Mother funeral
    • Concorde crash

.....and many many more

City 5 Swansea 3

Here is the link:

Hope you enjoy.
    excellent stuff

Lovely stuff. I've added a shortcut to your site on my phone and will dip in every now and then. Its great how technology allows this stuff to be permanently archived and shared. Cheers

Wow, so interesting. You are a true City fan.

• The Miner’s Strike
    • Princess Diana Death
    • Queen Mother funeral
    • Concorde crash

.....and many many more

City 5 Swansea 3

Here is the link:

Hope you enjoy.
    Just spent half an hour browsing.

Very impressive.

You've obviously got some kind of OCD

Thanks for sharing

Brilliant. And a really good reminder that football matches should be reported on pink paper

City’s 3-2 win over double winning Spurs in the early 60’s was the first game I ever went to with my dad. Big crowd, queuing up actually started on Sloper Road . I was worried I wouldn’t see my dad on the other side of the turnstiles! Great game, never forget that day.

Great site, brought back plenty of memories

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Great site, brought back plenty of memories
    Thanks - you live in Treherbert now right? I used to work in the old Midland Bank in Treorchy, and used to go to sub-branch in Treherbert..near Italian cafe (can't remember the name...)

btw if you ever get stuck for hosting, let me know.

Great stuff

Thanks - you live in Treherbert now right? I used to work in the old Midland Bank in Treorchy, and used to go to sub-branch in Treherbert..near Italian cafe (can't remember the name...)

btw if you ever get stuck for hosting, let me know.
    Think the Midland Bank is a Domino’s Pizza place now. Didn’t know there was a branch in Treherbert and I think I know the café you’re talking about = it was highly recommended to me and it was a place I was always going to go to but never got around to it, it’s been closed ever since the pandemic broke.

Fascinating, though would really like to be able to zoom in so I could read some of the reports etc.

Also, below is footage of your namesakes debut versus WBA in the 1st Division season 1960/61. I doubt there's any other footage of him for City as he only played 15 times, breaking his collarbone twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iziUPDbx4w

These are excellent and yes it would be nice if the scrapbooks and Echo pages were at a higher resolution, so they could be read.

nice one

• The Miner’s Strike
    • Princess Diana Death
    • Queen Mother funeral
    • Concorde crash

.....and many many more

City 5 Swansea 3

Here is the link:

Hope you enjoy.
    It's a great browse. You've really put a lot of work into it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Greg Farrell game against Middlesbrough ?

yep...slip of the virtual pen....as has been mentioned for that game was also a little unique for Boro centre half Dickie Rooks scoring a hat-trickt

[*] Challenger Space Shuttle disaster

I think I may have mentioned this before but my diary entry for that day was "Space Shuttle blew up, Cardiff 0-2 Swansea (disaster)"

Thank you