+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Re: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm glad you posted this Bob. I heard about this last night and couldn't sleep for hours mulling this over and was going to post something similar on here this morning. So I was both surprised and relieved that I am, at least, not going completely mad by not either supporting or understanding the decision by the Welsh government.

I'm actually furious about this because this feels more like panic (not a good look for any leaders) and has very little scientific basis. Once again, we're back to an overloaded health service fear, two years into a pandemic and I'd like to know the logistical planning that has been taking place over this period that should have anticipated the resources required to deal with it.

The real damage now is that, without proper explanation, figures, reasoning, and argument to back this decision, they have made the scientific argument redundant, and thus, they've rendered their own credibility and authority redundant also. It's really damaging. Poorly done. Badly communicated.
    Agreed. We've constantly been told they're "following the science". Well they're not are they? No real evidence that outside events like this spread the disease. There's also very little evidence on the effects of the Omicron variant and that which does exist suggests its relatively mild. Welsh hospitals are not currently overwhelmed with Covid cases and there's no evidence to suggest they will be. But we've let them impose draconian restrictions without much resistance before so they don't really fear any reprisals from the Welsh electorate.

Excluding the FA Cup game.
    We have home games on 15 and 30th January.
    If everyone gets boosterd ASAP allowing for the vaccine kick in period of 14 days we could be back in for the game on the 30th.

Seems a bizarre call to me. Generally I support the Welsh Gov, they've tried to be proportionate and honest, easy to be like that in comparison with Johnson's shambles I suppose.

This seems random and "we must do something". I suppose it won't cost too much and be less admin compared to shutting hospitality, theatres etc?

One thought, does it apply to TNS whose ground is over the border?

And Hereford have home games over Christmas. December 28th v Gloucester. You'd be very welcome if you need a football fix. (Dons tin hat and retreats rapidly).

We must do something.

This is something.

Therefore, we must do this.

Presumably we will all be able to pack out our local pubs to watch Boxing day matches? If so, this is a very curious move.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This decision could see us relegated !!!

Will Duckford be able to compensate the club for that ?
    Well who is responsible for our appalling home record? If the players are fearful of playing at home, we could be on the play offs by March.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Presumably we will all be able to pack out our local pubs to watch Boxing day matches? If so, this is a very curious move.
    They'll be announcing later that it'll be table service only from Boxing day, so pubs won't be packed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We must do something.

This is something.

Brilliant! Poetry even.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    Seems a bizarre call to me. Generally I support the Welsh Gov, they've tried to be proportionate and honest, easy to be like that in comparison with Johnson's shambles I suppose.

This seems random and "we must do something". I suppose it won't cost too much and be less admin compared to shutting hospitality, theatres etc?

One thought, does it apply to TNS whose ground is over the border?

And Hereford have home games over Christmas. December 28th v Gloucester. You'd be very welcome if you need a football fix. (Dons tin hat and retreats rapidly).
    It does seem odd that outdoor events are cancelled but pubs stay open but I suppose the Welsh Government's hands are tied because the Treasury only step in when England needs support so the Welsh Government has to pick what it can afford.

This decision only really affects us by the Blackburn game as very few people go to the cup games mainly because recent managers haven't treated them properly and by the 15th the decision could be reversed.

Pubs will be next to close.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It does seem odd that outdoor events are cancelled but pubs stay open but I suppose the Welsh Government's hands are tied because the Treasury only step in when England needs support so the Welsh Government has to pick what it can afford.

This decision only really affects us by the Blackburn game as very few people go to the cup games mainly because recent managers haven't treated them properly and by the 15th the decision could be reversed.
    No need for them to close pubs as people are staying away anyway. They'll bring back table service and limited numbers but can't do anything else as he has no control over furlough.

Yeah a March to Kim jong Drakefords place will probably occur instead….

They have to do something but can’t do what needs to be done because of the loons in Parliament. So instead there is this token gesture that doesn’t make sense.

The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 nations games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.

Just want to be seen to be doing something

Welsh Government built up goodwill over the last year or so, they're in danger of blowing it with arbitrary rule changes that aren't being properly justified

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 NATIONS games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.
    Oh, don’t worry, the White Elephant will be open for their freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 nations games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.
    Good point on the 6 nations tbf, which is a much bigger economic and cultural decision and would be far more controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Love the idea of playing at Forest Greens, new lawn stadium.

They would welcome the revenue, and only an hours drive away.

While I appreciate it would never happen, and would certainly not be in the spirit of the restrictions. I am certain we would sell out every game, 5k capacity, and would be a fun / quirky experience for our fan base.

Always enjoyed our pre seasons friendlies at the lawn, and the veggie food is very good!
    Its a silly suggestion. How would it be decided who would attend, out of our 13000 plus season ticket holders for a start. Can of worms.

Simple question - where is the evidence that outdoor sporting events that are properly run, such as our home games, have increased transmission of Covid ? I would be very surprised if there is any. Knee jerk, panic reaction by the bunch of idiots in charge. I can see Dripford now, standing at the lectern, coat hanger stuck in his suit as usual, trying to justify this and feeling very important no doubt. They have already stated that the vaccine programme is the way out of this but are now totally ignoring that pushing 90% of the population are double jabbed and over 50% already boosted and this should rise to at least 70% by the end if the month.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its a silly suggestion. How would it be decided who would attend, out of our 13000 plus season ticket holders for a start. Can of worms.
    We wouldn't have any shortage of volunteers to miss out given some of the garbage that's been dished up on the pitch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We must do something.

This is something.

Bollocks he’s just trying to control us in anyway he can…..I can still go to the cinema but not a football match….genius

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Simple question - where is the evidence that outdoor sporting events that are properly run, such as our home games, have increased transmission of Covid ? I would be very surprised if there is any. Knee jerk, panic reaction by the bunch of idiots in charge. I can see Dripford now, standing at the lectern, coat hanger stuck in his suit as usual, trying to justify this and feeling very important no doubt. They have already stated that the vaccine programme is the way out of this but are now totally ignoring that pushing 90% of the population are double jabbed and over 50% already boosted and this should rise to at least 70% by the end if the month.
    What do you mean by 'properly run'?
    It's already been shown that being double jabbed isn't effective enough against omicron spreading. Do you think that having mass gatherings at sporting events will help slow down the growth of omicron or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Good point on the 6 nations tbf, which is a much bigger economic and cultural decision and would be far more controversial.
    The worlds biggest pub will no doubt have to be closed now too

A strangely illogical decision by Drakeford but I guess he has taken into account the almost certain inevitability that far more stringent controls will be reintroduced by the UK government after Xmas. The Drakeford decision is really daft though as you can eat and booze to your heart's content in pubs and restaurants, spend time in cinemas indoors but cannot attend outdoor sporting events even for those who can prove they are COVID free. The £3m compensation will go nowhere. However, I can't help feeling that the UK government should have been introducing further restrictions now as they are clearly not following the science as they have stressed throughout this pandemic.

Incidentally did anyone know that "Omnicron" is an anagram of "Moronic"? Says something!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A strangely illogical decision by Drakeford but I guess he has taken into account the almost certain inevitability that far more stringent controls will be reintroduced by the UK government after Xmas. The Drakeford decision is really daft though as you can eat and booze to your heart's content in pubs and restaurants, spend time in cinemas indoors but cannot attend outdoor sporting events even for those who can prove they are COVID free. The £3m compensation will go nowhere. However, I can't help feeling that the UK government should have been introducing further restrictions now as they are clearly not following the science as they have stressed throughout this pandemic.

Incidentally did anyone know that "Omnicron" is an anagram of "Moronic"? Says something!
    I’m sure Drakey will shut down everything in due course.

I think the truth is there’s lots of different opinions in the science community. I’m getting a little frustrated that it’s the same ones who always get heard.