+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This decision could see us relegated !!!

Will Duckford be able to compensate the club for that ?
    Our home form is atrocious. Maybe a lack of crowds will be a blessing!

Notwithstanding our awful home form, this decision will put the City at a great disadvantage with our fellow relegation strugglers. I think you can expect Pubs to close in New Year, too.

Cymru Am Byth.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    This is absolutely pointless because no ones going to listen
    What do you mean? Do you think people are going to turn up at the stadium demanding to be let in?

Yeah a March to Kim jong Drakefords place will probably occur instead….

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    What do you mean? Do you think people are going to turn up at the stadium demanding to be let in?
    "We now go live to the Cardiff City Stadium where the match will actually now be played in front of spectators because the City fans didn't listen"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    "We now go live to the Cardiff City Stadium where the match will actually now be played in front of spectators because the City fans didn't listen"
    You will never ban a city fan

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You will never ban a city fan
    I've never understood that chant, it makes no sense whatsoever. Is there a reason for it from back in the day that I'm not aware of?

I've never understood that chant, it makes no sense whatsoever. Is there a reason for it from back in the day that I'm not aware of?
    Apart from it rhyming, which is always a decent starting point for any football chant, i think that it may go back to the days when away fans were getting banned from attending the South Wales Derby, think it happened twice? I think that there was also paper talk from other clubs chairman about banning us from their ground if i recall correctly, although that was probably around 1986 onwards. We also used to have a ridiculous amount of fans on banning orders, we were very successful on that front. So, in short, City fans were banned.

Why? They tried to ban us but we still went anyway…..

I could be wrong about this, but I think it dates back to the days when City fans were required to produce vouchers for entry to away games. I can't even remember how that system was supposed to work exactly - I think the vouchers were only supposed to be distributed to fans on the day by club and Supporters' Club officials or something like that. However, plenty of rogues found ways around the system, mainly by printing shitloads of their own.

I can remember a few of the lads on my old bus getting into trouble over the vouchers at somewhere like Crewe or Bury or somewhere similar. They'd somehow got hold of a couple of vouchers for that game in advance and had printed a couple of hundred copies, which they were handing out to anyone who wanted them outside the ground in defiance of the club and CCSC.

I honestly can't remember the exact details of the voucher nonsense or even when they attempted to implement it (mid-Eighties I think?), but I can remember loads of City fans were pissed off about it and I'm pretty sure that period was when the 'you'll never ban a City fan' chant was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm glad you posted this Bob. I heard about this last night and couldn't sleep for hours mulling this over and was going to post something similar on here this morning. So I was both surprised and relieved that I am, at least, not going completely mad by not either supporting or understanding the decision by the Welsh government.

I'm actually furious about this because this feels more like panic (not a good look for any leaders) and has very little scientific basis. Once again, we're back to an overloaded health service fear, two years into a pandemic and I'd like to know the logistical planning that has been taking place over this period that should have anticipated the resources required to deal with it.

The real damage now is that, without proper explanation, figures, reasoning, and argument to back this decision, they have made the scientific argument redundant, and thus, they've rendered their own credibility and authority redundant also. It's really damaging. Poorly done. Badly communicated.
    Agreed. We've constantly been told they're "following the science". Well they're not are they? No real evidence that outside events like this spread the disease. There's also very little evidence on the effects of the Omicron variant and that which does exist suggests its relatively mild. Welsh hospitals are not currently overwhelmed with Covid cases and there's no evidence to suggest they will be. But we've let them impose draconian restrictions without much resistance before so they don't really fear any reprisals from the Welsh electorate.

Seems a bizarre call to me. Generally I support the Welsh Gov, they've tried to be proportionate and honest, easy to be like that in comparison with Johnson's shambles I suppose.

This seems random and "we must do something". I suppose it won't cost too much and be less admin compared to shutting hospitality, theatres etc?

One thought, does it apply to TNS whose ground is over the border?

And Hereford have home games over Christmas. December 28th v Gloucester. You'd be very welcome if you need a football fix. (Dons tin hat and retreats rapidly).

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    Seems a bizarre call to me. Generally I support the Welsh Gov, they've tried to be proportionate and honest, easy to be like that in comparison with Johnson's shambles I suppose.

This seems random and "we must do something". I suppose it won't cost too much and be less admin compared to shutting hospitality, theatres etc?

One thought, does it apply to TNS whose ground is over the border?

And Hereford have home games over Christmas. December 28th v Gloucester. You'd be very welcome if you need a football fix. (Dons tin hat and retreats rapidly).
    It does seem odd that outdoor events are cancelled but pubs stay open but I suppose the Welsh Government's hands are tied because the Treasury only step in when England needs support so the Welsh Government has to pick what it can afford.

This decision only really affects us by the Blackburn game as very few people go to the cup games mainly because recent managers haven't treated them properly and by the 15th the decision could be reversed.

We must do something.

This is something.

Therefore, we must do this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We must do something.

This is something.

Brilliant! Poetry even.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We must do something.

This is something.

Bollocks he’s just trying to control us in anyway he can…..I can still go to the cinema but not a football match….genius

Presumably we will all be able to pack out our local pubs to watch Boxing day matches? If so, this is a very curious move.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This decision could see us relegated !!!

Will Duckford be able to compensate the club for that ?
    Well who is responsible for our appalling home record? If the players are fearful of playing at home, we could be on the play offs by March.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Presumably we will all be able to pack out our local pubs to watch Boxing day matches? If so, this is a very curious move.
    They'll be announcing later that it'll be table service only from Boxing day, so pubs won't be packed.

Pubs will be next to close.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It does seem odd that outdoor events are cancelled but pubs stay open but I suppose the Welsh Government's hands are tied because the Treasury only step in when England needs support so the Welsh Government has to pick what it can afford.

This decision only really affects us by the Blackburn game as very few people go to the cup games mainly because recent managers haven't treated them properly and by the 15th the decision could be reversed.
    No need for them to close pubs as people are staying away anyway. They'll bring back table service and limited numbers but can't do anything else as he has no control over furlough.

They have to do something but can’t do what needs to be done because of the loons in Parliament. So instead there is this token gesture that doesn’t make sense.

The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 nations games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 NATIONS games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.
    Oh, don’t worry, the White Elephant will be open for their freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    The fact that they have only earmarked £3m to help ease the burden of this, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a large amount would point to this being a very short term measure. If they did nothing now, and cases surged there would be a very real chance they would have to put restrictions on the 6 nations games, which would cause an even bigger uproar. I think sporting events are taking the hit now in the hope that they wont have to impact on the "Jewel" in Wales crown come February.
    Good point on the 6 nations tbf, which is a much bigger economic and cultural decision and would be far more controversial.