+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Re: Crowds banned from all sporting events in Wales for foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A strangely illogical decision by Drakeford but I guess he has taken into account the almost certain inevitability that far more stringent controls will be reintroduced by the UK government after Xmas. The Drakeford decision is really daft though as you can eat and booze to your heart's content in pubs and restaurants, spend time in cinemas indoors but cannot attend outdoor sporting events even for those who can prove they are COVID free. The £3m compensation will go nowhere. However, I can't help feeling that the UK government should have been introducing further restrictions now as they are clearly not following the science as they have stressed throughout this pandemic.

Incidentally did anyone know that "Omnicron" is an anagram of "Moronic"? Says something!
    Omnicron is an anagram of 'moronic n'. Omicron, however ....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    What do you mean? Do you think people are going to turn up at the stadium demanding to be let in?
    "We now go live to the Cardiff City Stadium where the match will actually now be played in front of spectators because the City fans didn't listen"

There is absolutely no way that Drakeford would cancel sporting events if he didn’t have a very good reason. What would he get out of it except grief.

Could it be because sporting events need front line staff attendance eg police, ambulance staff etc?

So many staff are off work after testing positive (and worse it’s going to get) that they probably need everyone on other priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    There is absolutely no way that Drakeford would cancel sporting events if he didn’t have a very good reason. What would he get out of it except grief.

Could it be because sporting events need front line staff attendance eg police, ambulance staff etc?

So many staff are off work after testing positive (and worse it’s going to get) that they probably need everyone on other priorities.
    He lives in Pontcanna, I think. Just in case you'd like to pop round and lick his a***

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    He lives in Pontcanna, I think. Just in case you'd like to pop round and lick his a***
    Sometimes I forget how much of a badass you are then you post something like this and I remember

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Omnicron is an anagram of 'moronic n'. Omicron, however ....
    Apologies; it's Omicron. Too late to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

That’s a fair argument, but if that’s the reason I’m sure he’d have explained that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Apologies; it's Omicron. Too late to edit.
    Every now and then you see newsreaders and reporters trying really hard not to say the same 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    "We now go live to the Cardiff City Stadium where the match will actually now be played in front of spectators because the City fans didn't listen"
    You will never ban a city fan

If that kind of thing turns you on crack on mate (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You will never ban a city fan
    I've never understood that chant, it makes no sense whatsoever. Is there a reason for it from back in the day that I'm not aware of?

I've never understood that chant, it makes no sense whatsoever. Is there a reason for it from back in the day that I'm not aware of?
    Apart from it rhyming, which is always a decent starting point for any football chant, i think that it may go back to the days when away fans were getting banned from attending the South Wales Derby, think it happened twice? I think that there was also paper talk from other clubs chairman about banning us from their ground if i recall correctly, although that was probably around 1986 onwards. We also used to have a ridiculous amount of fans on banning orders, we were very successful on that front. So, in short, City fans were banned.

Scotland goes a very similar way, but they have an intended end date and are allowing 500 per game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-59745262

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Scotland goes a very similar way, but they have an intended end date and are allowing 500 per game.

The scrum to see us lose again would be unimaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    . So, in short, City fans were banned.
    Yeah that's why it's such a weird chant

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The scrum to see us lose again would be unimaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Whether any of it is right is up for debate, and I'm not a Sturgeon fan at all, but this is far more sensible and fair.

90% of Scottish sport can go ahead. As if a few hundred people scattered around a rugby or football pitch will make much difference, yet we've stopped it all.

Drakeford seems a bit drunk on it all.

Why? They tried to ban us but we still went anyway…..

Away following will increase. Looking forward to WBA

I could be wrong about this, but I think it dates back to the days when City fans were required to produce vouchers for entry to away games. I can't even remember how that system was supposed to work exactly - I think the vouchers were only supposed to be distributed to fans on the day by club and Supporters' Club officials or something like that. However, plenty of rogues found ways around the system, mainly by printing shitloads of their own.

I can remember a few of the lads on my old bus getting into trouble over the vouchers at somewhere like Crewe or Bury or somewhere similar. They'd somehow got hold of a couple of vouchers for that game in advance and had printed a couple of hundred copies, which they were handing out to anyone who wanted them outside the ground in defiance of the club and CCSC.

I honestly can't remember the exact details of the voucher nonsense or even when they attempted to implement it (mid-Eighties I think?), but I can remember loads of City fans were pissed off about it and I'm pretty sure that period was when the 'you'll never ban a City fan' chant was born.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I could be wrong about this, but I think it dates back to the days when City fans were required to produce vouchers for entry to away games. I can't even remember how that system was supposed to work exactly - I think the vouchers were only supposed to be distributed to fans on the day by club and Supporters' Club officials or something like that. However, plenty of rogues found ways around the system, mainly by printing shitloads of their own.

I can remember a few of the lads on my old bus getting into trouble over the vouchers at somewhere like Crewe or Bury or somewhere similar. They'd somehow got hold of a couple of vouchers for that game in advance and had printed a couple of hundred copies, which they were handing out to anyone who wanted them outside the ground in defiance of the club and CCSC.

I honestly can't remember the exact details of the voucher nonsense or even when they attempted to implement it (mid-Eighties I think?), but I can remember loads of City fans were pissed off about it and I'm pretty sure that period was when the 'you'll never ban a City fan' chant was born.
    Wasn't it about the cup winners cup game v derry city in 1988?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    That's a good shout, although some City Fans did make it to the Brandywell Stadium and were treated incredibly well, apparently. I do recall the vouchers TLG is talking about. You could only get them if you went to an away game through an official Travel Group. Thing is, the vouchers were like those tickets your mum would take from the machine, at the meat counter in the supermarket. Easy to replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's a good shout, although some City Fans did make it to the Brandywell Stadium and were treated incredibly well, apparently. I do recall the vouchers TLG is talking about. You could only get them if you went to an away game through an official Travel Group. Thing is, the vouchers were like those tickets your mum would take from the machine, at the meat counter in the supermarket. Easy to replicate.
    That was it - they were supposed to be 'official' but were easy to copy. The lads had a carrier bag full on the trip I can remember (although I can't remember where we were going). Another thing I remember is that plenty of the host clubs during that period couldn't have cared less about the vouchers anyway and let City fans in without them, so they were basically a farce. Some of the CCSC officials at the time were really arsey about those vouchers as I recall, but those of us who travelled unofficially always got into the ground eventually, even if it meant going in the home end, owning up and being taken around the pitch to the away end (I remember doing that a couple of times).

Erm.....social distancing is still being advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Maybe, but I remember it being sung a lot around that time as efforts were made to bring the away support under some sort of control (usually without much success).