+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellamy's assessment of our bright young things

Bellamy's assessment of our bright young things

Re: Bellamy's assessment of our bright young things

Reading that just makes me want Bellamy back at the club even more.

I wonder if Spence is pissed off that Cardiff finally utilised the academy after he left. I know I would be.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Very interesting. I was just about to post that too - along with the other two interview/articles done with Scott Johnson for VFTN in the last few days.

Bellamy has got the 'bullying' allegations still muddying the picture (despite the internal club investigation that pretty much cleared him, and his apology for any fault) and he is clear about wanting a year at home with his family. But I would love to see him back in some capacity at the club - coaching, mentoring, game preparation, tactical work.....

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...y-coming-home/

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...y-the-academy/

Not to have him involved in the club is such a wasted opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I wonder if Spence is pissed off that Cardiff finally utilised the academy after he left. I know I would be.
    one the Rovers coaches ( he isn't 1st team though ) speaks highly of Spence, says he will make it in the game, maybe not prem but close

How is that man not part of our club?

I never really liked Bellamy as a player (before he came to City), but having read his autobiography and these interviews I admire him as a coach.

As much as anything else, he speaks of them with genuine affection

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    As much as anything else, he speaks of them with genuine affection
    That was interesting. He gives his thoughts on what they're good at, he also tells us what they can do to improve, i like that honesty in him, on both counts.

nice article, hopefully he'll continue his coaching journey

Hang on. didn't we try to block man city from taking matondo? Not sure how that tallies with Bellamy's story here.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hang on. didn't we try to block man city from taking matondo? Not sure how that tallies with Bellamy's story here.
    If i was a cynical person after reading what Bellamy had to say, then i'd say that it sounds like Bellamy didn't rate Matondo that highly. Let him go because he was getting into trouble in Cardiff. I'd love to believe that, i really would.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    We appealed Matondo's move but I do recall stuff about us not being overly bothered with losing Matondo if we kept Spence and the stuff about off field problems rings a bell. I've definitely seen versions of the "we rated Spence higher and were more bothered with keeping him" story before

Very interesting stuff even if I would have liked to have seen the discussion extended to include some of the players in the current youth team.

We appealed Matondo's move but I do recall stuff about us not being overly bothered with losing Matondo if we kept Spence and the stuff about off field problems rings a bell. I've definitely seen versions of the "we rated Spence higher and were more bothered with keeping him" story before
    I think there's a bit of revisionism going on as I've seen it mentioned in another article that we "let Spence go" because we had Colwill coming through, whereas I'm sure I also remember reading that we offered Spence a contract and he turned it down.

on the subject of Matondo, after a slow ish start in Belgium, he's now scored 5 goals in his last 4 games.
    Cercle Brugge have an option to make it permanent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think there's a bit of revisionism going on as I've seen it mentioned in another article that we "let Spence go" because we had Colwill coming through, whereas I'm sure I also remember reading that we offered Spence a contract and he turned it down.
    Thats what I was told by someone who I’d say was in a position to know about such things - it was also said that Harry Pinchard had turned us down rather than we released him.

That's correct-Sion Spence was offered a 1 year deal, along with Sam Bowen. This was when Neil Harris was in charge, and he basically said to Sion, I wont be using any youth players in the first team. Sion decided to try his luck elsewhere, and Sam Bowen stayed. When Bellamy was still there, towards the end of Warnock's reign, he was constantly pushing for both to be given the opportunity in the first team, he felt they were ready. Warnock wasn't interested and batted him away with, "put them in the U23's". I don't think Bellamy was a fan of U23 football at the time, so kept them with him in the U18's. I suppose its a sliding doors moment, and Sion might have been wise to stick around, but he was desperate for first team football.

Reading those articles , if he can manage his mental health issues , I would love to see him working at our club.

Have people said that? That's definitely not true, we offered Spence a deal that he turned down because there was no path to the first team, Bowen almost left this summer as well I think?

The Matondo/Spence thing though was mentioned at the time, has been repeated a number of times and now Bellamy's said it. I imagine there's at least a little truth in it

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    That's correct-Sion Spence was offered a 1 year deal, along with Sam Bowen. This was when Neil Harris was in charge, and he basically said to Sion, I wont be using any youth players in the first team. Sion decided to try his luck elsewhere, and Sam Bowen stayed. When Bellamy was still there, towards the end of Warnock's reign, he was constantly pushing for both to be given the opportunity in the first team, he felt they were ready. Warnock wasn't interested and batted him away with, "put them in the U23's". I don't think Bellamy was a fan of U23 football at the time, so kept them with him in the U18's. I suppose its a sliding doors moment, and Sion might have been wise to stick around, but he was desperate for first team football.
    For all McCarthy did wrong, he massively improved the pathway into the first team for youngsters, although that did start under Harris as well, as I'm sure Mark Harris and Joel Bagan were already getting game time.

Warnock was never likely to be the guy to bring through a youngster unless he was absolutely sure he could rely on them. Skipping u23 football and trying to go straight from u18s to the first team was never going to happen, possibly a bit of naivety from Bellamy, or perhaps he wanted to keep them in the u18s so he got more of the credit for their eventual emergence, rather than letting the u23s coaches get the credit.

Have people said that? That's definitely not true, we offered Spence a deal that he turned down because there was no path to the first team, Bowen almost left this summer as well I think?

The Matondo/Spence thing though was mentioned at the time, has been repeated a number of times and now Bellamy's said it. I imagine there's at least a little truth in it
    When Spence left, it was reported by Wales Online that he had been released by the City, which made it sound like he wasn't needed or wanted by the club, when it was in fact his decision to leave.

For all McCarthy did wrong, he massively improved the pathway into the first team for youngsters, although that did start under Harris as well, as I'm sure Mark Harris and Joel Bagan were already getting game time.

Warnock was never likely to be the guy to bring through a youngster unless he was absolutely sure he could rely on them. Skipping u23 football and trying to go straight from u18s to the first team was never going to happen, possibly a bit of naivety from Bellamy, or perhaps he wanted to keep them in the u18s so he got more of the credit for their eventual emergence, rather than letting the u23s coaches get the credit.
    Spence had played a lot of U23 football by then. Bellamy came in to oversee the pathway from academy to first team. He was in charge of the U23's, but from what i can gather wasn't a fan. I think he saw it as a backwater for youngsters, journeymen and older players coming back from injury. If you remember, Andy Legg came in solely as U23 manager/coach, and Bellamy reverted to academy coach, primarily with the U18's. I suppose by then he had seen enough of the players to know they were ready for first team football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    Spence had played a lot of U23 football by then. Bellamy came in to oversee the pathway from academy to first team. He was in charge of the U23's, but from what i can gather wasn't a fan. I think he saw it as a backwater for youngsters, journeymen and older players coming back from injury. If you remember, Andy Legg came in solely as U23 manager/coach, and Bellamy reverted to academy coach, primarily with the U18's. I suppose by then he had seen enough of the players to know they were ready for first team football.
    I've been impressed with a lot of what I've read about and seen from Bellamy on here recently, but I can't see the logic in that. whenever I've seen the u23s it has been a much higher standard than the u18s, so it is always going to be riskier for a manager to promote someone straight from the 18s to the first team tha ln from the u23s.
    also if he was in charge of the pathway, just being "not a fan" of the u23s so not putting players in there seems like it isn't addressing the issues he saw with the U23s.

it seems Spence is doing fairly well at Bristol Rovers. he didn't get many minutes to begin with, but has started to get a few more now, and has an impressive goals per 90 and assists per 90 record (although very few minutes so too early to read much into it yet probably)