+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel culture

Cancel culture

Always liked John Cleese.
    Doubt she knew what she was letting herself in for....

https://youtu.be/tJ7PPUTT3KY

Re: Cancel culture

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Always liked John Cleese.
    Doubt she knew what she was letting herself in for....

https://youtu.be/tJ7PPUTT3KY
    It's so obvious the right wing press is using cancel culture to wind up middle aged men and make it seem like a huge thing.

odd video, I don't think cleese came across particularly well there, he certainly didn't "destroy" the interviewer. it was all a bit garbled.

you often hear these older comedians lamenting about cancel this and woke that, while the younger generation of comedians just laugh at them and get on with it.
    it happens to the best of us, but these older comedians are just out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    It's so obvious the right wing press is using cancel culture to wind up middle aged men and make it seem like a huge thing.
    Isn't the right-wing press largely associated with middle-aged men?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    odd video, I don't think cleese came across particularly well there, he certainly didn't "destroy" the interviewer. it was all a bit garbled.

you often hear these older comedians lamenting about cancel this and woke that, while the younger generation of comedians just laugh at them and get on with it.
    He wanted to plug his own material and she was looking for something current to report on. Different agendas and he wasn't astute enough to manipulate the situation to his own advantage.

Very funny man is his day but he's done now

Is it just me or is he a bit of a brexit boy ?

I remember him destroying a load of Christians when life of Brian came out

He didn't literally kill them or anything

Who has really even been cancelled over a joke?

It’s like political correctness all over again, we keep hearing how prevalent it is but outside of a few genuine nutters getting shit canned or the odd mistake being blown out of proportion how much cancelling has actually happened?

Why do people always get drawn in so much with it? I remember in the 90s hearing we couldn’t call a black board a black board anymore ffs and that wasn’t true was it? I hope I don’t turn into a dope believing this shite when I get older.

I went to see a Frankie Boyle work in progress recently and he made a joke about Richard Branson going to space (the only way anyone wants that **** to achieve weightlessness is from a thoroughly agressive form of cancer) if he’s not being cancelled who is.

I see a lot of stand ups and almost all of them have loads of non politically correct jokes but no one is getting cancelled.

If you say your British these days they throw you in Jail

I think it has a lot to do with whether you are punching up or punching down.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If you say your British these days they throw you in Jail
    Too bloody right - the grammar police should throw away the key aswell for such serious offences.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Who has really even been cancelled over a joke?
    There's loads

Chubby Brown for one

I think it has a lot to do with whether you are punching up or punching down.
    Punching up or down suggests that there is already a preconceived right or wrong

Maureen Lipman and Ricky Gervais talking about it too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59703257

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There's loads

Chubby Brown for one
    Didn't Jim Davidson get ostracised for something or other?

Cleese did say that he was doing research into a documentary and I thought he did okay regarding the question he was asked.

No doubt he wanted to plug his latest shows and had grown tired of further talk on the cancel culture and her bringing up the Dave Chappelle situ may have been a curve ball which he wasn't expecting.
    Sharpness and slight of tongue will have waned a little but his exit I thought he handled rather well, not unlike one of his sketches.

"Older" comedians have been mentioned and being in that category, JC may have become a little cynical, understandably in his old age.

Though he did do well not mention the war!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Isn't the right-wing press largely associated with middle-aged men?
    That's what I was thinking

It's just good old fashioned intolerance. Whereas before it was the likes of Mary Whitehouse, now it's people who identify as liberal but are anything but.

I agree there are consequences but t's all just gone a bit far. The recent case with Durham University and Rod Liddle is a good example, as is 'offence archaeology' when people dig up tweets from ten years ago they deem to be offensive and plaster them all over the internet to shame someone. (if you actually felt them offensive you wouldnt air them)

My suggestion is that if you don't like gay bars, don't go in them. If you don't like swearing, don't watch TV after 9pm. If you don't like some opinions, then leave it to others who do.

Or better still, actually expose yourself to all of the above and rid yourself of your tiresome prejudices.

[QUOTE=JamesWales;5257307]Maureen Lipman and Ricky Gervais talking about it too

Quite a few comments on 'cancel culture' hypocrisy making the rounds - like this one about Maureen Lipman!

Zoe Lafferty@zoe_lafferty

She protested outside and then inside the BAC screaming that a play I directed should be canceled. A play by her own admission she had never read, hadn't seen and didn't know the content of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cancel culture is a right-wing myth. They didn't seem to have a problem with it when they were burning Beatles records.

So there is no problem whatsoever with cancel culture then?

Just because they are younger does that mean that they are right.

And where would you put Ricky Gervais? Young, old in between?

From this short clip he seems to have some problems with cancel culture as well

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He wanted to plug his own material and she was looking for something current to report on. Different agendas and he wasn't astute enough to manipulate the situation to his own advantage.
    I just watched it and I don't think the woman was "obliterated" at all. As you say he was on air simply with the purpose of promoting his gigs. I thought he came across as afraid to develop any question she posed and simply flounced ASAP. A fantastic comedian but this wasn't one of his best performances.

I do think that comedy will suffer from the caution around edgy comment as it becomes a society of political correctness, it maybe for the good it may well restict free comedy

Bill Hicks will be turning in his grave

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There's loads

Chubby Brown for one
    As far as I can see he had one gig cancelled, in Sheffield. Here's a list of all the other ones he's still planning on playing next year

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/roy-chubby-brown

Hardly cancelled is he

People get "canceled" when they are no longer economically viable.