+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel culture

Re: Cancel culture

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The main thing I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of you don't watch South Park
    Or it’s always sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The main thing I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of you don't watch South Park
    “I haven’t seen an Englishman take a blow like that since Hugh Grant!”

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    “I haven’t seen an Englishman take a blow like that since Hugh Grant!”
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/..._bit_too_real/

Some of the best comedies and satire have been produced by US writers and animators over the last few decades. Obviously, SP but The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and I've just started a thread on Archer. It's a medium that is perfect for handling satirical subjects and calling out hypocrisy.

Litman doesn't like cancel culture unless she's doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Some of the best comedies and satire have been produced by US writers and animators over the last few decades. Obviously, SP but The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and I've just started a thread on Archer. It's a medium that is perfect for handling satirical subjects and calling out hypocrisy.
    The first 5 seasons of archer were gold, every single one was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Wasn’t he caught wanking at women he works with? Do you think people should do whatever they want with 0 consequences?

Also he’s doing live shows still - https://louisck.com/
    That wasn’t the original point

It’s funny how the people who are sure cancel culture exists and people who vote Tory and brexit are a perfect circle on the Venn diagram

Maybe open up the media you consume guys you’re looking like a bunch of sheep.
    I don’t think there’s doubt that a cancel culture exists. There are protests on campuses for certain people not to be allowed to perform.

The question is where is the line and who becomes the arbitrator of that line.

So the people who are saying Vance culture exists do you want people to say and do whatever they want and no one is allowed to think they’re a ****?

I can’t believe someone is defending Louis CK as a shining example of this either
    You’re clearly not getting it

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t think there’s doubt that a cancel culture exists. There are protests on campuses for certain people not to be allowed to perform.

The question is where is the line and who becomes the arbitrator of that line.
    How is that new? Isn’t that just protesting and boycotting? The people are the arbitrators of that aren’t they?

I’m sure it’s not always in the right spirit but Is this really happening that often? Often enough for you to get up in a huff about it or are the media spinning the odd time of this happening and using it to make their middle age readership angry over nothing?

That wasn’t the original point
    Your examples of Cancel culture were Jim Davidson, chubby brown and Louis ck.

What else am I asking Louis ck about?

Have you been to university? It’s about 0.01% of the whole student base involved in these groups protesting. ****ing busy bodies who go into student politics then real politics. People need some perspective, it’s “political correctness gone mad” all over again ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How has he been cancelled he’s got a special on Netflix

Punching up or down suggests that there is already a preconceived right or wrong
    Richard Branson has more money than all of the poor people in the world put together.

No right or wrong, but shitting on the already shitted on just seems a bit lazy and cuntish.

Punching up or down suggests that there is already a preconceived right or wrong
    What do you mean already a preconceived right or wrong? How does this suggest it?

Anyway there are plenty of jokes that “punch down” they’re just a lot harder to execute without looking like a smug twat so punching up is usually used a lot more as it’s often more entertaining.

It’s much easier to get a laugh about the Queen or the President than someone who’s living on the breadline.

What do you mean already a preconceived right or wrong? How does this suggest it?

Anyway there are plenty of jokes that “punch down” they’re just a lot harder to execute without looking like a smug twat so punching up is usually used a lot more as it’s often more entertaining.

It’s much easier to get a laugh about the Queen or the President than someone who’s living on the breadline.
    I think as with so many things in the last few years, the fault line has been brexit, and there's been so many jokes, from generally wealthier remain voters (comedians, media types etc) aimed at generally poorer brexit voters (the poor overwhelmingly voted leave) labelling them racist, stupid, gullible etc without any attempt to understand things. That has been the greatest mass example of 'punching down' and snobbery I've witnessed in my lifetime. I think it's the double standards really.

This addresses some of it - references Ian Dunt, althouth for me the worse example, the very epitome of smug is James O Brien.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oted-remain-eu

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-racist-stupid

Anywaaaay. I very much advocate a position where we can all make fun of but also respect and try and understand all positions and sharing and experiencing different cultures and jokes is key to that.

And trumping that..

Stewart Lee, whom I used to really like, and still do like his style. Can you match this smug ignorance?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvwNkPgwgg

This probably helped his career, yet others are chastised for far worse, and I think that's what grates really, the cutural norms are reflective of a broadly elitist position.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think as with so many things in the last few years, the fault line has been brexit, and there's been so many jokes, from generally wealthier remain voters (comedians, media types etc) aimed at generally poorer brexit voters (the poor overwhelmingly voted leave) labelling them racist, stupid, gullible etc without any attempt to understand things. That has been the greatest mass example of 'punching down' and snobbery I've witnessed in my lifetime. I think it's the double standards really.

This addresses some of it - references Ian Dunt, althouth for me the worse example, the very epitome of smug is James O Brien.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oted-remain-eu

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-racist-stupid

Anywaaaay. I very much advocate a position where we can all make fun of but also respect and try and understand all positions and sharing and experiencing different cultures and jokes is key to that.
    Seriously? Just how smug were arch leavers like Rees-Mogg, Gove, Johnson, Tim Martin etc? It cuts both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Seriously? Just how smug were arch leavers like Rees-Mogg, Gove, Johnson, Tim Martin etc? It cuts both ways.
    I absolutely knew that would be the response! It's a fact, most people on lower socio economic status or earnings voted leave. Yet jokes like this were fine and lapped up and did no damage to his career it seems. No calls to be cancelled...and that's right! That's how it should be!

Imagine the furore if the joke was aimed at some of the groups who typically try to cause the cancelling / ending of careers?

I only mention this as an example of punching down which was deemed fine in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

It does go on and people are definitely fearful of voicing their opinions in front of many 'liberals' in much the same way that others are in front of some conservatives, especially in the past. I have a friend at BBC radio Wales who strongly stated this was the case there. You just have to toe the line to the prevailing elite.
    Is this the same prevailing elite who have been in government for the last decade and own the vast majority of the press or are we talking about the imaginary one again ?

This reads an awful lot like 'if I said my offensive thoughts out loud someone may call me out on it'. There was a time when keeping your horrible little thoughts to yourself in wider company was just called being polite. For all the talk of 'snowflakes' and 'karens' the poor oppressed rightwing are rather prone to screaming they've been 'cancelled' in every paper and TV show available if someone on twitter dares points out they've said something offensive.

Good work Croesy for talking sense in this thread!

Your examples of Cancel culture were Jim Davidson, chubby brown and Louis ck.

What else am I asking Louis ck about?

Have you been to university? It’s about 0.01% of the whole student base involved in these groups protesting. ****ing busy bodies who go into student politics then real politics. People need some perspective, it’s “political correctness gone mad” all over again ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    People get "canceled" when they are no longer economically viable.
    Louis CK was one of the biggest if not the biggest at the time. He was still economically viable. Still is and still sells out shows. He still has been blacklisted from most of most of the services like Netflix.

Economically viable, but cancelled.

That was in direct response to your point - whenever a counter narrative is shown you go onto a different topic than dealing with the reply.

House of cards. Cancelled off TV. If Chapelle wasn't so big they would have never have shown that special.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be cancelled or it's wrong to do what they're doing but you can't deny it isn't real.

As far as I am concerned cancel culture , snowflakes , woke this , woke that , all lives matter is the language of people represented by Katy Hopkins

Complete Kents basically

I mean if someone isn't offended by different cultures , sexualities etc then why whinge and moan about it ?

I am with Stewart Lee

In the past right wing comedians were represented by Jim Davidson

Now they have degrees and worked in the city

Still Kents though

I see that depressingly this seems to have turned into a Right v Left issue again.

Forgetting that majority which lie in the centre.

Cancel culture is a far more complex issue than just left v right.

Or just saying " well this sort of thing has always happened look at Mary Whitehouse or the BBC banning records" without recognising the game changer which is the internet.

Especially bloody twitter. Which is an excellent idea in theory , but has turned into a complete can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Is this the same prevailing elite who have been in government for the last decade and own the vast majority of the press or are we talking about the imaginary one again ?

This reads an awful lot like 'if I said my offensive thoughts out loud someone may call me out on it'. There was a time when keeping your horrible little thoughts to yourself in wider company was just called being polite. For all the talk of 'snowflakes' and 'karens' the poor oppressed rightwing are rather prone to screaming they've been 'cancelled' in every paper and TV show available if someone on twitter dares points out they've said something offensive.

Good work Croesy for talking sense in this thread!
    Spot on.

Louis CK was one of the biggest if not the biggest at the time. He was still economically viable. Still is and still sells out shows. He still has been blacklisted from most of most of the services like Netflix.

Economically viable, but cancelled.

That was in direct response to your point - whenever a counter narrative is shown you go onto a different topic than dealing with the reply.

House of cards. Cancelled off TV. If Chapelle wasn't so big they would have never have shown that special.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be cancelled or it's wrong to do what they're doing but you can't deny it isn't real.
    That’s just people being sacked for being sexual deviants ffs, that’s always happened it isn’t a new phenomenon.

Surely these people deserved to lose their jobs?

I don’t understand what your point is even, 2 people rightly sacked isn’t the best example is it?