+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel culture

Re: Cancel culture

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Just to emphasise that the non-Angries of today lived through Mary Whitehouse world and others. Here are a list of the songs that have been banned at times by the BBC. Also the Sex Pistols come to Caerphilly 1976

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ned_by_the_BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY0T_8wrI0
    Don't forget about those 'video nasties' and video games that were deemed by the Thatcher governments as the cause of societal violence and moral degradation (whilst kicking the sh*t out of miners at the same time). Every government and political party has tried to curb our freedom of choice. It's why I'm more anarchic these days. Being ruled by the church/state/monarchy/unelected/FPTP systems has taken it out of me over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Depends on your definition of the term. "Cancel culture" doesn't literally have to mean someone is cancelled from every event ad infinitum. That would of course be the extreme end for which there would be very few examples.

It may mean a single or several examples. Or it may refer to the culture of intolerant activists seeking to have someone cancelled or removed from a bill because they don't like them.

It may also refer to the culture of people avoiding offending these people by changing their act or avoiding topics that may offend some who easily take offence. This would be the most common scenario I imagine.

Again, as I said, I think the term is overblown but none of it is good, and pretending it doesn't exist at all is I think a little naive and may point to you not personally experiencing it
    But Mr J, you keep using this term 'intolerant activists'. It doesn't really make sense to me because it implies we should be tolerant of things that are reprehensible just because someone has those views. As human beings, we generally know what's right and wrong when confronted and surely, rather than blanketing everything with liberalism, can't we just, well, not be mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What do you mean the comedy of the past is under attack? How and where
    Suggest you Google the folks listed above views

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No thanks if you can’t articulate them as a summary I can’t be arsed to look.

Kevin Hart springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    But Mr J, you keep using this term 'intolerant activists'. It doesn't really make sense to me because it implies we should be tolerant of things that are reprehensible just because someone has those views. As human beings, we generally know what's right and wrong when confronted and surely, rather than blanketing everything with liberalism, can't we just, well, not be mean?
    Or we allow humour to stand aside of political correctness which seemed fine in the Thatcher years where they/ her were relentlessly attack by populist comedian's and shows like Spitting Image , which was fine.??

Being cancelled seems to be made up of people calling someone prick on Twitter which seems to sorted equally into the biggest twats and biggest wimps in the world.

Or we allow humour to stand aside of political correctness which seemed fine the Thatcher years where they/ her were relentlessly attack by populist comedian's an shows
    Humour does stand aside from it I’ve seen loads of comedy live over the last year and none of it would be considered politically correct.

Have you ever seen Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle? They make jokes about everything and anything. Jimmy carr has about 70 tv shows on per day.

What type of comedy do you think isn’t happening? Do you ever watch any?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    JK Rowling is nowhere near to being cancelled. All the Harry Potter movies are available to watch on TV. There's a Broadway show, and there's a 20-year retrospective coming out with a huge advertising push. She made some remarks that some considered controversial. Same with Germaine Greer. The Female Eunuch is still in print.
    https://junkee.com/harry-potter-reun...rowling/315382

A 20-Year ‘Harry Potter’ Reunion Is Officially Coming And J.K Rowling Isn’t Invited

So something that has always existed (currently referred to as "cancel culture") continues to exist and our libertarian friends are angry/annoyed/upset because it offends their personal views.

Have I got this right?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://junkee.com/harry-potter-reun...rowling/315382

A 20-Year ‘Harry Potter’ Reunion Is Officially Coming And J.K Rowling Isn’t Invited
    That’s not being cancelled though is it?

That’s not being invited in person because the cast think she’s a horrible ****. She’ll still be shown in the videos and an interview that’ll be shown.

The definition of cancelled seems very loose doesn’t it

So the people who are saying Vance culture exists do you want people to say and do whatever they want and no one is allowed to think they’re a ****?

I can’t believe someone is defending Louis CK as a shining example of this either

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    No because everyone is different and has different views and within the confines of the law we should respect and tolerate those views. We should also seek to understand them too.

There's plenty of views I strongly disagree with but I respect their right to make them and would never attempt to prevent someone from touring etc.

This stuff isn't hard. Live and let live, have an open mind, be open to different opinions etc.

No because everyone is different and has different views and within the confines of the law we should respect and tolerate those views. We should also seek to understand them too.

There's plenty of views I strongly disagree with but I respect their right to make them and would never attempt to prevent someone from touring etc.

This stuff isn't hard. Live and let live, have an open mind, be open to different opinions etc.
    I'm not going to keep an open mind or respect blatant racism, discrimination, flat-earthers, climate change deniers. That's absurd and condones extremism and the very tolerances you purport to uphold will be crushed. Sometimes in life, you have to pick a side.

It's not right wing this man certainly isn':

Iannucci said he did not rewatch his old shows but changing tastes meant they contained material that he would not write today. However, he warned*against cancel culture. He said: “I spent most of my career trying to work out where the line is, where do you feel you’re stepping over the mark and every now and then do it anyway, just to see what happens.”

Iannucci said that he did not set out to offend but simply to write what is funny. He has a reputation for, in his words, comedy that “tends to circulate around embarrassment, or awkwardness or challenging people’s perceptions”.

That just sounds like an interview about comedy being of it’s time though. That’s always happened, things made in the 50s would never have been made in the 70s and things made in the 70s would never have been made in the 90s because things became old and out of touch.

There’s always been a line to not step over, it’s the sign of a good comedian to walk it well. That’s not an interview about cancel culture it’s just presented under that headline.

Sounds like you’re falling into the paradox of tolerance behaving like that.

Should we tolerate the views of extremist Islamic preachers?

I’m sick of people cancelling members of the mujahideen, it’s political correctness gone mad.

I’m sick of people cancelling members of the mujahideen, it’s political correctness gone mad.
    You clearly missed the bit where I said 'within the confines of the law'.

Violent Islamic extremists are illegal and promote violence. JK Rowling and Germaine Greer, less so.

Let's have jokes about black , gay , straight, ginger ,blonde, Islam, Jewish, Tory , Labour, Liberal, Welsh , Irish Scots , English and Mujadideen.

Let's have jokes about black , gay , straight, ginger ,blonde, Islam, Jewish, Tory , Labour, Liberal, Welsh , Irish Scots , English and Mujadideen.
    There are jokes about all of those though, on tv and in stand up.

Do you not watch any of it? It seems like you’re getting wound up about something you don’t even watch.

You clearly missed the bit where I said 'within the confines of the law'.

Violent Islamic extremists are illegal and promote violence. JK Rowling and Germaine Greer, less so.
    Could you not argue they promote violence against trans people? I’m not saying they do but who decides who is and isn’t inciting violence?

Seems a fine line to allow the law to decide what speech is free and what isn’t.

It’s funny how the people who are sure cancel culture exists and people who vote Tory and brexit are a perfect circle on the Venn diagram

Maybe open up the media you consume guys you’re looking like a bunch of sheep.

I think you have Google yourself, don't you? But JK Rowling, Rod Liddle, Germaine Greer, Laurence Fox all spring to mind from recent years. They may still get work, but only because theyve overcome others attempts to prevent it.

Cancel culture doesn't have to mean someone is cancelled, it can mean others want them cancelled and are intolerant of their right to even air their views.

It's not good and most genuine liberals across the spectrum accept that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54374824
    Rod Liddle and Laurence Fox aren't comics. They're right wing nutjobs who are happy to display their xenophobia. Liddle's comments about Wales are a disgrace and Fox can't be mentally stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Rod Liddle and Laurence Fox aren't comics. They're right wing nutjobs who are happy to display their xenophobia. Liddle's comments about Wales are a disgrace and Fox can't be mentally stable.

The main thing I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of you don't watch South Park