+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omicron No more than a cold ?

Re: Omicron No more than a cold ?

This virus hits different people in different ways.
    My daughter and I had covin last Jan - I thought it was just a winter cold, my daughter had it only slightly worse.
    But her boyfriend also had it, and started to have trouble breathing, was on the verge of going into hospital before he started recovering.
    There were a load of hospital admissions back then and deaths were mounting up.
    Yes, the omicron mutation appears to be less serious, but people have died with it.
    But while seemingly having less serious symptoms, it seems to be far more transmittable - and a high trandmission rate means it is more likely to mutate further - into what? 80% fatality maybe?
    We'd all be thanking Duckford for his cautious approach then.
    We need EVERYBODY to get vaccinated to stop this- and that means "third world" countries, as well as the UK, or further mutations are inevitable, and one of those mutations could be the nightmare that effectively ends civilisation.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think this is a really good post, especially the part about extra funding and resources. This is especially true when the biggest hit to the NHS over the next 10 years will be the long-term effects of Covid 19. That's the key part for me. That's the difference between Covid 19 and a cold virus. They may both present similar risks (although the risk of respiratory complications is significantly higher for Covid) for a lot of patients but unlike a cold virus, there's a sliding scale of immune responses in a wider variety of people. This would mean that for those who are predisposed to autoimmune triggers then Covid is a massive contributor and it's in these people that high risks of developing autoimmune diseases i.e.neurological diseases, that we should be preparing our services for in terms of long-term, chronic conditions.

None of our politicians are even talking about it let alone preparing. They're kicking the can down the road as they usually do with everything that's going to hit us badly in the future.

We're not training doctors, nurses, and other medical staff in anything like the numbers we're going to need them. We have no recruitment policy. All these positions and all this training should be free. The money that's been wasted could have been invested in people and training. Science has been politicised and the politicians have been weak. The media badly report the data and confuse the public and then we end up with the nightmare of conspiracy on social media. I've said before it's a mess and the real travesty is that nobody wants to be the one to say 'we got it wrong' in certain areas when that's exactly the kind of candid discussion we need to move forward.
    Whichever government runs this country for the next 10/20 years we really need to invest in the nhs, more doctors, nurses, hospitals etc…the amount we have compared to a country like Germany is woeful…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Whichever government runs this country for the next 10/20 years we really need to invest in the nhs, more doctors, nurses, hospitals etc…the amount we have compared to a country like Germany is woeful…..

Agreed, but that will almost certainly mean increased taxes, will people vote for any party that runs on a ticket of taking more of their money?

First Team

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...ocations=GB-DE

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, but that will almost certainly mean increased taxes, will people vote for any party that runs on a ticket of taking more of their money?
    If (and it's a big if) it is communicated properly, honestly, and fairly by any party and politician then there is some hope. These candid talks and discussions need to take place. The public needs to be told that healthcare is a priority. This doesn't mean just chucking money at the NHS, it means honestly discussing and recognising that all services and training has to be joined up. Money has to be made available and even small increases in taxation will help.

The current government, in my view, have done untold damage to the credibility of politicians and the key strategy for any opposition has to be from a point of honesty and treating the public as adults.

BreakingNews ::

Omicron up to 70% less likely to need hospital care

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59769969

Please forward to Mr Drakeford.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Makes a mockery of restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It's political now, I notice Labour now refer to the wonderful example Welsh Labour sets .

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It does but we had to take action prior to that data confirmed. Not easy when you're working on guesses

Problem is we won't now and retrospectively change those overzealous decisions

I think were now in fear factor world , as leader of any administration around the world you just cant take a risk .

For the UK I think the English route of self responsibility measures seems to be the better option at this moment in time ( time will tell though as were in Covid political point scoring world now )
    I think Wales is coming out with extra measures as our NHS is by far the worst in Britain. So the new measures are to try to reduce even more people seeking medical help

This is the way forward, but unfortunately I suspect that most politicians will think that if the NHS survived this pandemic then it can survive when it’s over, with no need with further investment.

Couple of things, the data's 2 years old and in my view doesn't address the 'types' of physicians needed e.g. I'm pretty sure the spike in the graph in 2000 was a massive increase/influx of GPs? The number of GPs and other Drs is dropping because of Brexit and Covid stress-related issues now and over the last 2 years of the pandemic, I would expect this graph to plummet (of course I could be wrong).

I'm not convinced that physician is a good term when planning resources either.

First Team

"... [M]edical experts agree that the higher transmissibility of the virus poses a severe threat to health care systems even if symptoms are milder, because the sheer volume of infections will likely lead to more people needing hospital care."

CNBC, 24 hours ago.

If (and it's a big if) it is communicated properly, honestly, and fairly by any party and politician then there is some hope. These candid talks and discussions need to take place. The public needs to be told that healthcare is a priority. This doesn't mean just chucking money at the NHS, it means honestly discussing and recognising that all services and training has to be joined up. Money has to be made available and even small increases in taxation will help.

The current government, in my view, have done untold damage to the credibility of politicians and the key strategy for any opposition has to be from a point of honesty and treating the public as adults.
    Agree with all you have said. Politicians keep mentioning more money but the best solution is to publish the number of nurses and doctors in each of the four UK countries. After all we were all told that visas for these people would be processed immediately to make sure the numbers increased quickly.
    Since then not one country has mentioned any staff numbers to show improvement.

Regarding Omicron Denmark currently has one of the top infection rates in the world and the second highest Omicron rate in Europe, behind the U.K., which has similar vaccination levels and an even higher booster rate.

The double-vaccinated accounted for more than 14,000 of 17,767 Omicron infections recorded in Denmark since the country’s first reported case on November 22.

looking at stats from denmark looks grim reading when it comes to seeing how effective vaccines are . see reports

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/sh...re-vaccinated/

https://meaninginhistory.substack.co...micron-telling

First Team

Couple of things, the data's 2 years old and in my view doesn't address the 'types' of physicians needed e.g. I'm pretty sure the spike in the graph in 2000 was a massive increase/influx of GPs? The number of GPs and other Drs is dropping because of Brexit and Covid stress-related issues now and over the last 2 years of the pandemic, I would expect this graph to plummet (of course I could be wrong).

I'm not convinced that physician is a good term when planning resources either.
    I don't have an agenda or view on this. I was curious and looked up the data. That is all. Honestly, I was surprised the UK has a higher ratio of medics per capita.

Having lived in France, I'd say the poster child for medics per capita in Europe would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Regarding Omicron Denmark currently has one of the top infection rates in the world and the second highest Omicron rate in Europe, behind the U.K., which has similar vaccination levels and an even higher booster rate.

The double-vaccinated accounted for more than 14,000 of 17,767 Omicron infections recorded in Denmark since the country’s first reported case on November 22.

looking at stats from denmark looks grim reading when it comes to seeing how effective vaccines are . see reports

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/sh...re-vaccinated/

https://meaninginhistory.substack.co...micron-telling
    Lifesite-**** me Mozz, they're far right loonies with form for making shit up. You love these far right conspiracy websites.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    "... [M]edical experts agree that the higher transmissibility of the virus poses a severe threat to health care systems even if symptoms are milder, because the sheer volume of infections will likely lead to more people needing hospital care."

CNBC, 24 hours ago.
    OK, I'm not picking on you or your posts, it's just that the quote really annoys me. What does it actually mean? How does it translate into numbers requiring hospital care? The weasel-word phrases like 'likely lead...' don't help. We may as well stop all treatments and divert resources in medical facilities when there's ice on the motorways as this is more likely to cause pile-ups and swamp A&E.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Lifesite-**** me Mozz, they're far right loonies with form for making shit up. You love these far right conspiracy websites.
    And the other one is a religious right wing loony. Fair play Mozz.

I don't have an agenda or view on this. I was curious and looked up the data. That is all. Honestly, I was surprised the UK has a higher ratio of medics per capita.

Having lived in France, I'd say the poster child for medics per capita in Europe would be there.
    I don't think you have an agenda and I was surprised too until I saw the spike. I agree with France too. I used to work a lot in France and closely with their medical services and have been impressed.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Statens Serum Institut is legit. Are their figures quoted in the piece fictitious?

First Team

I don't think you have an agenda and I was surprised too until I saw the spike. I agree with France too. I used to work a lot in France and closely with their medical services and have been impressed.
    The UK data point for around 2000 is certainly odd. Was that when nurse practitioner roles were created?

The UK data point for around 2000 is certainly odd. Was that when nurse practitioner roles were created?
    Bingo! I think you've solved the

First Team

OK, I'm not picking on you or your posts, it's just that the quote really annoys me. What does it actually mean? How does it translate into numbers requiring hospital care? The weasel-word phrases like 'likely lead...' don't help. We may as well stop all treatments and divert resources in medical facilities when there's ice on the motorways as this is more likely to cause pile-ups and swamp A&E.
    I am just pointing out that there are two fundamental unknowns at the moment: Omicron's transmissibility and severity. I know epidemiologists are struggling to figure out how many severe cases (requiring hospitalization) are likely to present in the near future based on those two factors.

If you like things in terms of numbers take a group of 100 people. (Ignore the following if you already get this.)

Suppose, just for illustration, Delta caused 20 infections next week and 1 in 20 Delta infections is severe. We'd have 1 ill person from the group of 100.

Now suppose Omicron caused 60 infections next week but only 1 in 30 cases with Omicron are severe. We'd still have 2 cases in the 100. Things would be worse.