+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omicron No more than a cold ?

Omicron No more than a cold ?

When this super spreader variation of the covid virus arrived we were told to brace ourselves for the worst .

Except from the South Africans, were it originated said it wasn't anywhere near as dangerous as Delta. (Thats not headline news though is it?) There is a report coming out of Scotland today saying the same thing .

I have been looking for hospital figures and deaths but there doesn't appear to be the same appetite to publish them at the moment .

Am I missing the point , or have the government massively overreacted?

Happy to be put straight on this one.

Re: Omicron No more than a cold ?

They are blagging it we need to wait a bit longer, a bit longer, a bit longer…..lots of reports out though saying it is a milder version, easier to transmit but doesn’t get as far into the lungs to cause the same damage as Delta. I guess they want to be uber sure before we all strip naked and run around the streets

when Prof Doom & Gloom stood either side of Boris and told us the Omicron would double every 2 and 1/2 days, it looks bad

Well last week the new cases were 90K each day, yesterday they were 100k , they massively got it wrong, it should be over 1/2 mill new cases by tomorrow, its not, its 100k

Tuesday ( I think ) the UK had 44 deaths from people testing C19+ in the last 28 days, thats 44 deaths ( of course 44 too many )

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    When this super spreader variation of the covid virus arrived we were told to brace ourselves for the worst .

Except from the South Africans, were it originated said it wasn't anywhere near as dangerous as Delta. (Thats not headline news though is it?) There is a report coming out of Scotland today saying the same thing .

I have been looking for hospital figures and deaths but there doesn't appear to be the same appetite to publish them at the moment .

The other day, Duckford was asked by two reporters, “could they see the figures”

Duckford looked flustered, as he gave a 10 page answer, which was basically, NO

The guy is engulfed in his own importance

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

These figures are slightly higher than yours Matt.

But 194 more people admitted to hospital.. surely that is a nothing figure , how many people get admitted with flu each day?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when Prof Doom & Gloom stood either side of Boris and told us the Omicron would double every 2 and 1/2 days, it looks bad

Well last week the new cases were 90K each day, yesterday they were 100k , they massively got it wrong, it should be over 1/2 mill new cases by tomorrow, its not, its 100k

Tuesday ( I think ) the UK had 44 deaths from people testing C19+ in the last 28 days, thats 44 deaths ( of course 44 too many )
    Depends how you look at the data. If it was 90k a day then it doubled every 2 days

I think up to yesterday there had been 12 deaths in the UK due to Omicron.

Lets hope it is milder. But comparisons to a cold? Not sure of being that hopeful.

How many people die of a cold each year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think up to yesterday there had been 12 deaths in the UK due to Omicron.

Lets hope it is milder. But comparisons to a cold? Not sure of being that hopeful.

How many people die of a cold each year?
    Would you have preferred the flu as a comparison?
    Apparently kills 25,000 people each year.

Just 2,300 new cases in Wales in the last twenty four hours. About ten days ago, there was talk that Omicron was reproducing at such a rate that, technically, every one in the UK could have it by New Years Day - speaking as someone who has largely favoured a cautious approach in the last two years, that’s clearly not happening is it. Furthermore, we’re now getting reports from the UK which, while not quite in the league of the earlier ones from South Africa, do back up the view that, thankfully, Omicron is not as bad as Delta and yet, the message from Government does not seem to have changed to reflect this.

I think were now in fear factor world , as leader of any administration around the world you just cant take a risk .

For the UK I think the English route of self responsibility measures seems to be the better option at this moment in time ( time will tell though as were in Covid political point scoring world now )

Im really hoping its milder than the flu.

I also dont know the comparison on the transmission comparisons between flu and omicron.

The problem is if its the equivalent of flu this virus is spreading so fast then the NHS is going to be in trouble quickly.

Not just the NHS with staff of sick and isolating but all businesses including essential public services.

Isn't it wonderful that the scientists may have got it wrong? No doubt that the information is sketchy and the lack of any real positivity from the bods who make the decisions does have a negative effect on the population in my opinion, although there does seem the usual amount of paranoia in this thread. When has somebody who works high up in the medical profession ever given the best case scenario? They always give out the worst case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Isn't it wonderful that the scientists may have got it wrong? No doubt that the information is sketchy and the lack of any real positivity from the bods who make the decisions does have a negative effect on the population in my opinion, although there does seem the usual amount of paranoia in this thread. When has somebody who works high up in the medical profession ever given the best case scenario? They always give out the worst case.
    Where is the paranoia?

I have followed the rules up to now ,pretty much understood the dangers, this feels like nonsense . I started the thread in case I am missing the point..
    Hilts mentioning people being off work has a degree of something to be considered.
    If Omicron is just a cold/flu , surely we just need to get on with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Scientists are well aware that they get things wrong as they may have incomplete information/data in the first place. Many of them actually enjoy learning that they are wrong if it means that they subsequently learn more about any particular subject. Science means knowledge after all.

My son has tested positive for Omicron this week - symptoms not as bad as a winter cold, any other virus he would go to work and get through the day. so everyone I know who's had it say's it's fcuk all.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    My son has tested positive for Omicron this week - symptoms not as bad as a winter cold, any other virus he would go to work and get through the day. so everyone I know who's had it say's it's fcuk all.
    The data coming in seems to indicate that the Omicron virus affect the windpipe more than other strains of Covid, which makes it more contagious - but affects the lungs less than other strains and which means it is not generally so debilitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Thats been the case with all the variants though for the majority.

Signs are though that this is going to be milder.

Huge overreaction, power hungry fear mongering.

My very basic and non professional level of understanding based on what I've read and heard is that this would be the natural life cycle of this sort of disease.

That there is only so much that it can mutate, that it would eventually weaken itself. The higher the transmissibility of most diseases the weaker they generally are.

With vaccines, new treatments and perhaps, fingers crossed a milder variant spreading then is this the next phase in the pandemic?

We certainly can't keep closing businesses and having massive handouts from central government each winter.

I'd like to think out of this horrible disease comes reform for the NHS, the extra funding it needs and better working conditions and wages for its staff. Robust plans for future pandemics and a continued boom in the research and development of new treatments for all diseases.

Imagine cancer treatments had the funding and energy that covid has had.

Thats been the case with all the variants though for the majority.

Signs are though that this is going to be milder.
    This is not a majority this is a tsunami fecking landslide.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    My very basic and non professional level of understanding based on what I've read and heard is that this would be the natural life cycle of this sort of disease.

That there is only so much that it can mutate, that it would eventually weaken itself. The higher the transmissibility of most diseases the weaker they generally are.

With vaccines, new treatments and perhaps, fingers crossed a milder variant spreading then is this the next phase in the pandemic?

We certainly can't keep closing businesses and having massive handouts from central government each winter.

I'd like to think out of this horrible disease comes reform for the NHS, the extra funding it needs and better working conditions and wages for its staff. Robust plans for future pandemics and a continued boom in the research and development of new treatments for all diseases.

Great post mate. Sadly the response to Covid is (in my opinion) now causing more long term damage to lives than the virus itself ever did. Completely disproportionate response.

Frustrating though it is that I can’t go here and can’t do this or that, I’d rather be under a government that prepares than one that crosses its fingers and hopes.

Im really hoping its milder than the flu.

I also dont know the comparison on the transmission comparisons between flu and omicron.

The problem is if its the equivalent of flu this virus is spreading so fast then the NHS is going to be in trouble quickly.

Not just the NHS with staff of sick and isolating but all businesses including essential public services.
    If this was a flu pandemic with the same data, can you really see the UK Government's taking this kind of action. I cant. It would be lucky to get a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I think this is a really good post, especially the part about extra funding and resources. This is especially true when the biggest hit to the NHS over the next 10 years will be the long-term effects of Covid 19. That's the key part for me. That's the difference between Covid 19 and a cold virus. They may both present similar risks (although the risk of respiratory complications is significantly higher for Covid) for a lot of patients but unlike a cold virus, there's a sliding scale of immune responses in a wider variety of people. This would mean that for those who are predisposed to autoimmune triggers then Covid is a massive contributor and it's in these people that high risks of developing autoimmune diseases i.e.neurological diseases, that we should be preparing our services for in terms of long-term, chronic conditions.

None of our politicians are even talking about it let alone preparing. They're kicking the can down the road as they usually do with everything that's going to hit us badly in the future.

We're not training doctors, nurses, and other medical staff in anything like the numbers we're going to need them. We have no recruitment policy. All these positions and all this training should be free. The money that's been wasted could have been invested in people and training. Science has been politicised and the politicians have been weak. The media badly report the data and confuse the public and then we end up with the nightmare of conspiracy on social media. I've said before it's a mess and the real travesty is that nobody wants to be the one to say 'we got it wrong' in certain areas when that's exactly the kind of candid discussion we need to move forward.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 23-12-21 at 16:09. Reason: Grammar

Not that much, in a bad year like 2017 I think