+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO Michael Morris

FAO Michael Morris

Is there any chance of making the main board a football only section?
    The main message board is just endless threads of bloody good band and other non Cardiff city related threads.
    Maybe they can be posted in a general chat section?

Re: FAO Michael Morris

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Is there any chance of making the main board a football only section?
    The main message board is just endless threads of bloody good band and other non Cardiff city related threads.
    Maybe they can be posted in a general chat section?
    Is this supposed to be a football chat is it? Well I never…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is this supposed to be a football chat is it? Well I never…..
    It should be.

Other chat is more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Other chat is more interesting
    It's a Cardiff City board though so maybe it should have it's own section.
    Music and politics and so on post in another section..

It's a Cardiff City board though so maybe it should have it's own section.
    Music and politics and so on post in another section..
    Apparently there is already a politics section, it gives me nightmares just thinking about the stuff that gets said

How about a "I Love Tan" section?

I've always preferred the non cardiff football threads

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I've always preferred the non cardiff football threads
    Yeah, and we didn't have a game over the weekend to moan about either, nothing on Boxing day either. Non football stuff always ramps up when there is no football, although i do prefer it being a mixture, That's real life, isn't it?

Not this old chestnut again.

We've had this argument time and again over the years.

When I first discovered this board back in about 2002 one of its strengths to me ( and I think most of the posters of that time) was the eclectic mix of the board. We could discuss football but there were always good discussion on politics,music, tv, film etc etc plus io someone had some sort of query about, say, car repair, DIY they could often get an answer on here.

It was a real community, a refreshing change from the football only board of other sites .

Of course things have changed over the years. Many posters hav sadly passed on and others have drifted away. Many more have joined.

Throughout that time the board has maintained this eclectic mix, the only real variation being the creation of a welsh board and a separate pollitics board (which I have always been against with the exception of general election times, when it is perhaps justified).

I feel there is a much wider dscussion of matters if they are on the general board rather than just being the usual suspects.

If someone is not interested in a political debate or music discussion or whatever then the simply do not look at the thread, they are not usually hard to spot.

One thing I will say is that some of the debate, particularly on the political side, has sadly declined in quality over the years, too often descending into yah boo politics between left and right, ignoring the vast centre ground.and often leading to debate which is pretty facile. The current debate on cancel culture is an example of this.It is actually a very complex, nuanced subject but much of the debate does not reflect ths sadly.

Anyway,I am firmly in favour of the status quo (but please scrap the unnecessary politics board).

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    How about a "I Love Tan" section?
    Nobody will post on that.
    I don't know anyone who loves Tan do you?

Ha ha, sorry Stan I just couldn't resist it, it is Christmas after all! I still think it's just infatuation with you anyway you rotter you!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Not this old chestnut again.

We've had this argument time and again over the years.

When I first discovered this board back in about 2002 one of its strengths to me ( and I think most of the posters of that time) was the eclectic mix of the board. We could discuss football but there were always good discussion on politics,music, tv, film etc etc plus io someone had some sort of query about, say, car repair, DIY they could often get an answer on here.

It was a real community, a refreshing change from the football only board of other sites .

Of course things have changed over the years. Many posters hav sadly passed on and others have drifted away. Many more have joined.

Throughout that time the board has maintained this eclectic mix, the only real variation being the creation of a welsh board and a separate pollitics board (which I have always been against with the exception of general election times, when it is perhaps justified).

I feel there is a much wider dscussion of matters if they are on the general board rather than just being the usual suspects.

If someone is not interested in a political debate or music discussion or whatever then the simply do not look at the thread, they are not usually hard to spot.

One thing I will say is that some of the debate, particularly on the political side, has sadly declined in quality over the years, too often descending into yah boo politics between left and right, ignoring the vast centre ground.and often leading to debate which is pretty facile. The current debate on cancel culture is an example of this.It is actually a very complex, nuanced subject but much of the debate does not reflect ths sadly.

Anyway,I am firmly in favour of the status quo (but please scrap the unnecessary politics board).
    Good post. I pretty much agree with most of it. One thing you did mention was a more definitive line on politics from various posters which can sweep aside the more centrist view. Do you think that has happened due to politics becoming that way over the past 10 or so years etc Therefore, the discussion that we see on here is representative of the Political situation that we now find ourselves in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Ha ha, sorry Stan I just couldn't resist it, it is Christmas after all! I still think it's just infatuation with you anyway you rotter you!
    I'm not a fan of old Vinnie but when i see hypocrites slag him down for things they were to scared mention and even turned a blind eye to under we know who i speak up
    Merry Christmas Dorcus

This board is relatively low on content anyway these days compared to what it was. If it was just football threads you could just check once a week and be done with it.

I've always thought of it less as a Cardiff City board and more of a board for Cardiff City fans myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good post. I pretty much agree with most of it. One thing you did mention was a more definitive line on politics from various posters which can sweep aside the more centrist view. Do you think that has happened due to politics becoming that way over the past 10 or so years etc Therefore, the discussion that we see on here is representative of the Political situation that we now find ourselves in?
    Yes I think you are probably right. Politics has become more polarised (or certainly seems to have done)in the past few years .People seem less tolerant of other views and seem to se things through a right/left prism. If you don't agree with someones views you are automatically assume by some to be their polar oppposite in anything and ne'er the twain shall meet.

There seems to be little spirit of compromise these days

My view from years ago was that the board should reflect everything. It became the biggest boards around because of it's diversity.

But then people started to abuse it.

From self promotion, business promotion, extreme politics, obsession, psychological tendencies and the need to have the last word or a demanding position.

Some people are never wrong, they feel they have the right to force opinion and create thread after thread for their own ego and demand it be on the main board. Some with forceful political views feel they can post thread after thread of political content and it's OK for that to cover the top 10 or 20 threads on what is, at the base level, a football message board. Some force music threads and think it's OK for multiple similar threads when it's actually spoiling the board.

So that's why alternative boards were created. When to be honest a tougher moderator would just delete the demanding behaviour.

I'm too soft on you

Treat it like the telly remote perhaps, flick past the channels/threads that aren’t for you.

I'm not a fan of old Vinnie but when i see hypocrites slag him down for things they were to scared mention and even turned a blind eye to under we know who i speak up
    Merry Christmas Dorcus
    Merry Christmas to you and yours too Stan 🤶

yes, probably about 12,000 season ticket holders who don’t post on here or on the dark side

Need ' I've been jabbed ' section

As an outsider I preferred this board when there was just one section. If you don’t like the politics or bands threads you can just ignore them. These non football threads keep messageboards like this and other clubs boards alive and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    My view from years ago was that the board should reflect everything. It became the biggest boards around because of it's diversity.

But then people started to abuse it.

From self promotion, business promotion, extreme politics, obsession, psychological tendencies and the need to have the last word or a demanding position.

Some people are never wrong, they feel they have the right to force opinion and create thread after thread for their own ego and demand it be on the main board. Some with forceful political views feel they can post thread after thread of political content and it's OK for that to cover the top 10 or 20 threads on what is, at the base level, a football message board. Some force music threads and think it's OK for multiple similar threads when it's actually spoiling the board.

So that's why alternative boards were created. When to be honest a tougher moderator would just delete the demanding behaviour.

I'm too soft on you
    May I take this opportunity to thank you once again for creating one of the strongest addictions I have ever had, Boss. Have a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    May I take this opportunity to thank you once again for creating one of the strongest addictions I have ever had, Boss. Have a good one
    I'll second that!