+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

One of those random thoughts that come into your head sometimes. So, when I first started going away with the City in the mid-'70s, there was a rather passionate and vocal follower from the Llanrumney area.

He would always lead the chanting and got arrested quite a bit in the process (I particularly remember about 3 coppers pinning him to the ground and 'cuffing him at Bristol Rovers, circa 1976). If you're looking at so-called 'leaders' down the City, then Frankie was as close to one as you'd find, I think we'd agree on that. However, this guy had his followers too, although he didn't quite have the same physical presence as Frankie. You just had a feeling that sadly he was probably going to end up spending a proportion of his life behind bars.

However, one day I was on a train from London and there he was sat in the same carriage as me, full army fatigues and a big backpack, looking really clean-cut and in great shape. From overhearing his conversation, it would appear he was serving in Northern Ireland at the time when Bobby Sands was on hunger strike.

I think his surname was Deacon and he went by the nickname of "Pongo"... I'm not entirely sure. But I do know he was from Llanrumney. Does anyone know if he still follows the City or if he lives in Cardiff these days?

I wonder if those of you in your late 50's/early 60's might be able to shed some light on him?

Re: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    One of those random thoughts that come into your head sometimes. So, when I first started going away with the City in the mid-'70s, there was a rather passionate and vocal follower from the Llanrumney area.

He would always lead the chanting and got arrested quite a bit in the process (I particularly remember about 3 coppers pinning him to the ground and 'cuffing him at Bristol Rovers, circa 1976). If you're looking at so-called 'leaders' down the City, then Frankie was as close to one as you'd find, I think we'd agree on that. However, this guy had his followers too, although he didn't quite have the same physical presence as Frankie. You just had a feeling that sadly he was probably going to end up spending a proportion of his life behind bars.

However, one day I was on a train from London and there he was sat in the same carriage as me, full army fatigues and a big backpack, looking really clean-cut and in great shape. From overhearing his conversation, it would appear he was serving in Northern Ireland at the time when Bobby Sands was on hunger strike.

I think his surname was Deacon and he went by the nickname of "Pongo"... I'm not entirely sure. But I do know he was from Llanrumney. Does anyone know if he still follows the City or if he lives in Cardiff these days?

I wonder if those of you in your late 50's/early 60's might be able to shed some light on him?

I should just add that he didn't get arrested just for chanting.

Yeah I know who you are talking about.

Years older than me. Not sure how but I used to end up talking to him whenever I saw him.

Havent seen him for a long time though.

I think his name was Steven Deacon.I saw him last about 3 years ago he was doing to madness tribute gig

I'm trying to cast my mind back to my days spent on the Grange End in the mid 70s. I've probably got this very wrong, but wasn't Pongo a mate of some character called 'Stabber'?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I think his name was Steven Deacon.I saw him last about 3 years ago he was doing to madness tribute gig
    Different Deacon. The one the op is talking about is older than the one you have in mind.

I believe the one your talking about is in that casuals video which Lakey is in.

This is a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm trying to cast my mind back to my days spent on the Grange End in the mid 70s. I've probably got this very wrong, but wasn't Pongo a mate of some character called 'Stabber'?
    yes pongo and stabber grange end loons

Pongo .........one step beyond !

When we were playing Shrewsbury at home in Eddie mays promotion year , pongo was on the pitch booting city fans up the arse who were holding up the game and threatening the final whistle

Ironic

Stabber sounds like a nice bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Stabber sounds like a nice bloke.
    Yes he really is

Stabber was a steward quite recently but I haven't seen him for a seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by C1C9F2C7 View Post
    yes pongo and stabber grange end loons
    Ahhh good to see my memory hasn't let me down. From what I remember of the pair, 'loon's' is putting it politely lol

Yes that is correct. Pongo is a city legend.
    Spedger

As you say. Those names flow back. My recollection of those days were that if there was no "opposition" the Grange would turn on itself. Chants of Llanrumney, Barry and Valley Boys would go up as groups formed to take control of the back of the Grange.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    cant be the same guy, the deacon you are taking about is about my age ( 50 ish ) I used to know him fairly well, I wonder if anyone knows how he is, might be dead now, did live life to the fullest back in the late 80's early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    cant be the same guy, the deacon you are taking about is about my age ( 50 ish ) I used to know him fairly well, I wonder if anyone knows how he is, might be dead now, did live life to the fullest back in the late 80's early 90's
    Very much alive and still the character.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    As you say. Those names flow back. My recollection of those days were that if there was no "opposition" the Grange would turn on itself. Chants of Llanrumney, Barry and Valley Boys would go up as groups formed to take control of the back of the Grange.
    Let's not forget the infamous Bargoed Mafia with their butchers coats, worn like they thought they were extra's from Clockwork Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Got kids now hasnt he?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Got kids now hasnt he?
    Yes. Two lads. One quite recently.

Let's not forget the infamous Bargoed Mafia with their butchers coats, worn like they thought they were extra's from Clockwork Orange
    Was the butchers coat a CCFC thing, or did other teams supporters wear them too?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Was the butchers coat a CCFC thing, or did other teams supporters wear them too?
    Worn up and down the country by different supporters. I think they became infamous with Tommy Docherty's "Doc Army" in the '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I thought Man United's visit down here in 74 was a flood of butcher coats sported by Doc's Red Army.

https://strettynews.com/2013/11/24/t...-39-years-ago/

I think the chap some of you are referring to is in this video.

Not the person the op is referring to though.

https://www.complex.com/style/2015/0...ers-short-film

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think the chap some of you are referring to is in this video.

Not the person the op is referring to though.

https://www.complex.com/style/2015/0...ers-short-film
    yep that's him glad he is still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    great that he is still alive and well if anyone would have been a gone'er due to excess, he must have been high on the list

I haven't seen him since the late 90's