Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

Re: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yep that's him glad he is still alive
    Yep , everyone has a right to change

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Was the butchers coat a CCFC thing, or did other teams supporters wear them too?
    I never saw any other teams supporters wearing butchers coats in that period, but that's not to say some didn't. The only other people I saw wearing those butchers coats around that time period, in Cardiff anyway, were a few Hawkwind fans who always used to turn up to gigs by the mighty 'wind.

Pongo was in my class in school and he was a bit mad then.He travelled on Martin Paynes bus a few times when the rams were going.Someone you would want beside you if you got into a bit of bother,crazy guy. He once thought it would take half the time to get to Sunderland because we had two drivers. Ill leave you to work that out for yourselves.Sadly i dont think he goes anymore as i havent seen him for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Stabber sounds like a nice bloke.
    As a matter of fact,he is. He used to work as a steward a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Pongo was in my class in school and he was a bit mad then.He travelled on Martin Paynes bus a few times when the rams were going.Someone you would want beside you if you got into a bit of bother,crazy guy. He once thought it would take half the time to get to Sunderland because we had two drivers. Ill leave you to work that out for yourselves.Sadly i dont think he goes anymore as i havent seen him for quite a while.
    What school was that exactly? Do you know anything about his time in the military?

He was a good Llanrumney boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What school was that exactly? Do you know anything about his time in the military?
    Llanrumey High School or if you lived in the area Ball Road. Sorry i dont anything about his time inthe military.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I thought Man United's visit down here in 74 was a flood of butcher coats sported by Doc's Red Army.

https://strettynews.com/2013/11/24/t...-39-years-ago/
    What a mad day that was. You had to be there to believe what was happening

What a mad day that was. You had to be there to believe what was happening
    Town in the night was lively with Llanrumney boys and Man u

Llanrumey High School or if you lived in the area Ball Road. Sorry i dont anything about his time inthe military.
    Okay, thank you for that. Just one final question - did I get his surname, Deacon, correct? (I'm beginning to sound like a bloody detective! ).
    There were three standout characters in my early years following the City away (rough away days back then!)... Pongo was one, Frankie, as I mentioned earlier was another and 'Ching' from Canton.

Halcyon days!

Okay, thank you for that. Just one final question - did I get his surname, Deacon, correct? (I'm beginning to sound like a bloody detective! ).
    There were three standout characters in my early years following the City away (rough away days back then!)... Pongo was one, Frankie, as I mentioned earlier was another and 'Ching' from Canton.

Halcyon days!
    If you were around these characters at the time you certainly will never forget them all mad as a box of frogs but as Alfie has said better to have them on our side than the others . Remember Ching also all good boys

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yep , everyone has a right to change
    I wish you would heed your own words!

Then perhaps the women folk of Cowbridge will be able to peg out their smalls of an evening with a reasonable expectation they will still be there available for collection the next morning.

Halcyon days!
    Yes,Stephen 'Pongo' Deacon

Yes,Stephen 'Pongo' Deacon
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    If you were around these characters at the time you certainly will never forget them all mad as a box of frogs but as Alfie has said better to have them on our side than the others . Remember Ching also all good boys
    I will never forget being at Anfield for the Wales Vs Scotland game. We were up in the top corner of the Kop and under a constant barrage of beer bottles/cans/coins/cigarette lighters and anything else they could hurl our way.

Picture it - absolutely surrounded by jocks! Ching stands up on a crash-barrier, points towards the swathes of Scotland fans and says.... "There they are, c'mon let's 'ave them"!
    He was deadly serious!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Town in the night was lively with Llanrumney boys and Man u
    Llanrumney seemed to be a hotbed of city support back in the 70’s….always been quite a lively area, a visit to the shops on countersbury avenue could always be an eye opener anytime of day….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Llanrumney seemed to be a hotbed of city support back in the 70’s….always been quite a lively area, a visit to the shops on countersbury avenue could always be an eye opener anytime of day….
    There was another character who I think was from Llanrumney at the time, perhaps someone could confirm,his name was Boozer...

I will never forget being at Anfield for the Wales Vs Scotland game. We were up in the top corner of the Kop and under a constant barrage of beer bottles/cans/coins/cigarette lighters and anything else they could hurl our way.

Picture it - absolutely surrounded by jocks! Ching stands up on a crash-barrier, points towards the swathes of Scotland fans and says.... "There they are, c'mon let's 'ave them"!
    He was deadly serious!
    Yes I can imagine , that would be Ching , he used to use a walking stick although I not sure he needed it to aid his walking

There was another character who I think was from Llanrumney at the time, perhaps someone could confirm,his name was Boozer...
    The name definitely rings a bell, I just can't put a face to it.

Some great names back then - Boozer, Stabber, Pongo....

Yes Boozer,didnt look in the best of health last time i seen him. Another one on the crazy short list. Dont think he bothers any more.

Another one from back in the day was Jeff Rew. Sadly i dont think he is with us now.

Jaws , Port Talbot

No teeth

Another one from back in the day was Jeff Rew. Sadly i dont think he is with us now.
    Sadly Jeff went down the alcohol route. Chasing the day time happy hours eventually did for him.

My mucker Jeff Rue top bloke but the booze took him over.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Jaws , Port Talbot

No teeth
    It's all flooding back. Yup, "Jaws"!
    (no pun intended)