+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

Re: A City fan from the mid-70/ '80s

Anyone remember ‘Sailor’ (Dennis Baker)? He always wore a white butchers coat with various ‘Up the City’ slogans written on it. Grange End regular, late 60s.

My understanding was that Pongo earned his name due to his unique personal freshness…..wherever he goes, the “Pong Goes.” In later years I used to boot a ball about with him and others in Splott Park.

I scrounged myself onto a train with Stabber and 40 others when our coach driver left us at Wembley in 1977.

And I once pulled a bird on the last bus home to Llanrumney who knew Boozer.

My nickname was Weedy, on account of my delicate frame.

How I came to mix with these guys I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    My understanding was that Pongo earned his name due to his unique personal freshness…..wherever he goes, the “Pong Goes.” In later years I used to boot a ball about with him and others in Splott Park.

I scrounged myself onto a train with Stabber and 40 others when our coach driver left us at Wembley in 1977.

This made me laugh.So true

70's nicknames certainly didn't **** about, straight to the point, a bit like the vandalism and graffiti during that time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    70's nicknames certainly didn't **** about, straight to the point, a bit like the vandalism and graffiti during that time!
    Appears the conveybelt of nutters was running for a long time, don’t think it’s running these days though. Perhaps conking out when we left Ninian park.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Appears the conveybelt of nutters was running for a long time, don’t think it’s running these days though. Perhaps conking out when we left Ninian park.
    Different times lead to a different type of nutter. Council estates have changed a lot since the 70s. Back then you had what seemed like real mad hard knocks who battled with anyone who was prepared to have a go. Now there seems to be much more of a drug culture, some absolute slime bags driving about selling all kinds of shit. Not as violent now in my opinion, but more underhand and sinister amongst the shit heads.

My recollection portrays such affairs in a less romantic light. In the long dark of streets of Splott (where I grew up) there was a distinct hierarchy to the bullying. I was somewhere near the bottom of this pile.

Does anyone remember Terence Wheeler who ran onto the pitch to celebrate with Tony Villars in a relegation battle with Palace? In later years he offered to fight both me and my mate for smiling at the wrong girl in a city cente nite club. We declined.

By the time I reached High School in Tremorfa in the 70s, my elder sister had put down some ground rules. Her association with some of the harder guys bought me some respite.

Is adolescence still like this I wonder?

My recollection portrays such affairs in a less romantic light. In the long dark of streets of Splott (where I grew up) there was a distinct hierarchy to the bullying. I was somewhere near the bottom of this pile.

Does anyone remember Terence Wheeler who ran onto the pitch to celebrate with Tony Villars in a relegation battle with Palace? In later years he offered to fight both me and my mate for smiling at the wrong girl in a city cente nite club. We declined.

By the time I reached High School in Tremorfa in the 70s, my elder sister had put down some ground rules. Her association with some of the harder guys bought me some respite.

That's why i said that it was more violent back then, in a physical sense. I grew up on estates during the 70s and 80s and at time they weren't pleasant places. Bullying was rife.

He was known as Pongo in school

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The name definitely rings a bell, I just can't put a face to it.

Some great names back then - Boozer, Stabber, Pongo....
    There was another from Llanrumney who liked a bit of action. Went by the name of Roaster. He had a brother Jiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Another one from back in the day was Jeff Rew. Sadly i dont think he is with us now.
    Yes he passed away a few years back Alfie.
    Spedger

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone remember ‘Sailor’ (Dennis Baker)? He always wore a white butchers coat with various ‘Up the City’ slogans written on it. Grange End regular, late 60s.
    Lived off Broad street and he worked for a wholesale butcher.

Played baseball with him for years.

Part of big Franks team

Yes I know Terence Wheeler I played alongside him for ACAC,s rugby side . Unfortunately Terence ( Weegie) is no longer with us . I seen a guy arguing with him once and Weegie said you can have first punch if you want to which the guy promptly put him on his arse, Weegie got up shook his head and said right now it's my turn I think you and your friend were lucky you declined his offer.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I remember someone called Clifford Jones. I think it was.

Against Bristol this big rough looking wurzle stood his ground when his mates ran off and said he’d take us all on. Clifford gave him a lesson in brawling and we’ll aimed kick to the point of this chaps jaw ended his interest

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    Yes I know Terence Wheeler I played alongside him for ACAC,s rugby side . Unfortunately Terence ( Weegie) is no longer with us . I seen a guy arguing with him once and Weegie said you can have first punch if you want to which the guy promptly put him on his arse, Weegie got up shook his head and said right now it's my turn I think you and your friend were lucky you declined his offer.
    I never knew him by his name but soon as you mentioned Weegie i remember him now. Played against him a few times for Llanrumney. And if you played alongside him i must have played against you.

I think boozers surname was cruze
    I think he named his daughter charmain Claire francine cruze or something like that ��

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I think boozers surname was cruze
    I think he named his daughter charmain Claire francine cruze or something like that ��
    Wasnt it Johnathon Cruz? Im pretty sure it was.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I never knew him by his name but soon as you mentioned Weegie i remember him now. Played against him a few times for Llanrumney. And if you played alongside him i must have played against you.
    Yes always a hard tight game between Llanrumney and Adamsdown both good sides , remember Joey Lia aswell he played for us for years then when we disbanded he went to play for you .Good times I think both sides had much respect for each other