One of those random thoughts that come into your head sometimes. So, when I first started going away with the City in the mid-'70s, there was a rather passionate and vocal follower from the Llanrumney area.

He would always lead the chanting and got arrested quite a bit in the process (I particularly remember about 3 coppers pinning him to the ground and 'cuffing him at Bristol Rovers, circa 1976). If you're looking at so-called 'leaders' down the City, then Frankie was as close to one as you'd find, I think we'd agree on that. However, this guy had his followers too, although he didn't quite have the same physical presence as Frankie. You just had a feeling that sadly he was probably going to end up spending a proportion of his life behind bars.

However, one day I was on a train from London and there he was sat in the same carriage as me, full army fatigues and a big backpack, looking really clean-cut and in great shape. From overhearing his conversation, it would appear he was serving in Northern Ireland at the time when Bobby Sands was on hunger strike.

I think his surname was Deacon and he went by the nickname of "Pongo"... I'm not entirely sure. But I do know he was from Llanrumney. Does anyone know if he still follows the City or if he lives in Cardiff these days?

I wonder if those of you in your late 50's/early 60's might be able to shed some light on him?