+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst England batting side ever?

Re: Worst England batting side ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Am I alone in cringing when I read / hear the word 'batters' instead of batsmen??

Ye gods, it is political correctness gone mad - they are after all men (at least by gender if not status...)
    Not that bothered by it but I know where you're coming from.
    A man walks out to bat but he's no longer a batsman?
    Does seem strange that they are not batsmen and batswomen but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    More 4 day cricket could have been played instead of it.
    England have been good at 4 day cricket in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Am I alone in cringing when I read / hear the word 'batters' instead of batsmen??

Ye gods, it is political correctness gone mad - they are after all men (at least by gender if not status...)
    Apparently "England get batsmanned everywhere they go" didn't scan!

You've got to be fair to this current England team. When I was kid I'd be up all night listening to the match under the bed clothes on my radio. The next day I'd be off to school bleary eyed. With this lot.they are all out before my cocoa has gone cold.

Just woke up and thought I’d see how England were doing except I can’t because it finished ages ago - 68 all out

They may as well throw in the proverbial towel and come home to avoid further punishment. Has there ever been a worse England team tour Australia than this one?

I've seen it said on Twitter that if Ireland or Afghanistan had lost a match in the manner England just did, there would be calls for them to be stripped of their recently won test status. Whoever said that is right and yet all you get from England in between series with Australia is how they're "building for the next Ashes series", so it seems the complete and utter shambles we've been watching for the last couple of weeks is the result of two and a half years of meticulous planning!

I don't think this is a great Australia side by any means. One lesson to be learned from English cricket in the twenty first century is that, one exception in 2011 (when Australia were very weak) apart, England lose at least four in a five test series when they go down under.

Batsmen used to wait for a bad ball for a scoring opportunity. These days, because of the amount of one day cricket, the mindset is that every ball is a scoring opportunity. They're all, on the whole, impatient.
    I'm not a fan of cricket at all but I remember Geoffrey Boycott and his approach to test cricket which killed any remnant of enthusiasm I had for that format of the game. You surely would not want a return to that kind of somnolent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I'm not a fan of cricket at all but I remember Geoffrey Boycott and his approach to test cricket which killed any remnant of enthusiasm I had for that format of the game. You surely would not want a return to that kind of somnolent stuff!
    but thats what test cricket is about

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've seen it said on Twitter that if Ireland or Afghanistan had lost a match in the manner England just did, there would be calls for them to be stripped of their recently won test status. Whoever said that is right and yet all you get from England in between series with Australia is how they're "building for the next Ashes series", so it seems the complete and utter shambles we've been watching for the last couple of weeks is the result of two and a half years of meticulous planning!
    I appreciate its a big rivalry and occasion but the way it dominated discussion during and eclipsed the tests against NZ and India this summer (the two best test teams on the planet) really irked me at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    but thats what test cricket is about
    There needs to be some sort of balance. Test cricket is different from the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    England have been good at 4 day cricket in this series.
    They are getting better at 3 day cricket as well

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    They are getting better at 3 day cricket as well
    To true. My Mrs just said perhaps it was too hot for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There needs to be some sort of balance. Test cricket is different from the 80s.
    the problem seems to be all the bish bash cricket thats played players play risky shots instead of building there innings and scoring off the bad ball when it comes

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    To true. My Mrs just said perhaps it was too hot for them.
    Some like it hot.That would make a great film title

Oh hang on...........

Where do England get their players from these days?Is it still from private schools?
    Perhaps coaches need to get out into the communities.

Difficult to argue against it.

Nine test defeats in a year, the worst by any team ever in a calendar year.

They play too much white ball cricket but it's not going anywhere soon unfortunately.
    The long game has been in decline for a long time now and England have become a shambles.

Gotta feel sorry for Jimmy Anderson flogging his guts out only to be let down by a bunch of incompetents.

Too many "types" of player getting caps which has devalued the honour of playing for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Where do England get their players from these days?Is it still from private schools?
    Perhaps coaches need to get out into the communities.
    The majority of the squad have had a private education.

England’s third highest run scorer in tests this year is extras.

Wonder if Kiran Carlson will get a go soon. They could certainly do a lot worse than give him a chance. Classy player, great character, would love to see him get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Wonder if Kiran Carlson will get a go soon. They could certainly do a lot worse than give him a chance. Classy player, great character, would love to see him get a chance.
    Depends if the selectors feel like venturing over the bridge for a change?

Depends if the selectors feel like venturing over the bridge for a change?
    Now the toll has gone, maybe our lads will have more of a chance 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Now the toll has gone, maybe our lads will have more of a chance 🤣
    Have we 6/7 test standard batsmen available on the Country circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Have we 6/7 test standard batsmen available on the Country circuit?
    No.

I can think of two , but Burns as an opener has been a disaster hasn’t it , it’s really worrisome that the batting cupboard is so bare.