+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FT: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 3 - 0 CARDIFF CITY.

Re: FT: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 3 - 0 CARDIFF CITY.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sounds like he was talking to the press saying the same thing he did to his players, these are professional athletes, they know when they have had a crap game, the manager knows and the fans know, no point in sugar coating it
    He needs to be careful though. When all is said and done, he needs most of those players to be on side with him. If he criticises too heavily in Public then he could have a problem on his hands.

I thought Davies was meant to be rapid. I may have the wrong youngster but he was well off the pace. I may have been hoping for too much from him with only 10 though. Calling him out after was extremely harsh. Its he wasn't doing what the manager wanted keep it in the dressing room.
    Felt very sorry for Harris he was putting a good shift in and never stops running (sadly a bit limited when he gets it mind)
    Last edited by fugsyphil; 31-12-21 at 00:43. Reason: Hadn't finished

Sounds like he was talking to the press saying the same thing he did to his players, these are professional athletes, they know when they have had a crap game, the manager knows and the fans know, no point in sugar coating it
    Isn't sugar coating a performance what most managers do all the time? Fans can see we're ponderous and can't pass but this is never mentioned in a press conference. There are ways and means of saying a player has had a bad game and managers have been doing it for years.

disgraceful challenge. Fine him massively

Morison humiliates Issac Davies in public but hardly says anything about Bacuna in his after match interview. Morison till the end of the season for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think we have players better suited to a back 5 with wingbacks than a flat back four. NG and Giles as fullbacks would be a huge concern.
    Ng is better suited to being a full back

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morison chucking a kid under the bus, again.

Here's what he had to say about Davies. I'm sorry, but that is piss poor management.

"He just wasn't good enough. I brought him on to change the game, to help us, and he was more of a hindrance than a help."
    https://twitter.com/GlenWilliams12/s...85066872963092
    Dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    That's dreadful, he's dropped down in my estimation. Particularly since he picked such a poor team in the first place.
    Exactly

And it's not Davies's fault we had a centre back at left back and a left back at right wing is it Steve?

It could legitimately be argued that Adam Matthews was never the same player for City after Dave Jones publicly criticised him after a defeat at Ipswich, let’s hope Isaak Davies does not go the same way. Steve Morison has never once singled out a senior player like that despite them being far more responsible for our position than the youngsters and so when he says people will say he only treated Davies like he did because he is a young player, he is acknowledging a truth.

What is it about managers that makes them think they can humiliate younger players in public like that? Davies has been getting plaudits for his performances before yesterday and people who know him talk about his good attitude, he’s also a fan of the club and, so unlike some this season, can be relied upon to give his best - particularly as he is young enough not to be affected by the cynicism you might get in a senior pro. Maybe Morison thought Davies needed taking down a peg or two after the praise he has received, but he chose a crass and very disappointing way of going about it.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Dreadful.
    City were pegged back for the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half almost constantly. I remember on two occasions the Bournemouth attack breaking down, and City had the chance for a 'breather'. Davies lost the ball immediately both times, and Bournemouth had possession again, straight away. I doubt Morison asked him to go out and get a couple of goals, just do a job that was asked of him, nothing he couldn't do. As I posted elsewhere, I think this is going down to the wire - it ain't going to be pretty, or for the faint-hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    City were pegged back for the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half almost constantly. I remember on two occasions the Bournemouth attack breaking down, and City had the chance for a 'breather'. Davies lost the ball immediately both times, and Bournemouth had possession again, straight away. I doubt Morison asked him to go out and get a couple of goals, just do a job that was asked of him, nothing he couldn't do. As I posted elsewhere, I think this is going down to the wire - it ain't going to be pretty, or for the faint-hearted.
    But what is humiliating him going to acheive? You can take him off, fine, but don't then go a step further and have a go at him in the media

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There were also several instances in the 2nd half where I specifically recall both Nelson and Flint had time to bring the ball under control and make a simple pass to retain possession. Nelson lumped his long into Bournemouth’s half where we had no players and Flint, with plenty of time, blasted his straight out into touch, not even making the halfway line . I don’t see Morison commenting on that.

I think the point is why specifically pick on Davies when they were several poor performances from much more senior pros. Morison actually says it can be seen as an easy target picking on a youngster and you know what Steve, yes it is and it doesn’t reflect well

Think people are going a bit ott here.

He's a 20 year old young man, not a child anymore, he has probably heard worse criticism and will definitely have to moving forward if he is to make it.

I suspect he will be fine.

I do agree though in that i'd rather Morison go after some of the others just as much, the level of performance from all has been horrible for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It could legitimately be argued that Adam Matthews was never the same player for City after Dave Jones publicly criticised him after a defeat at Ipswich, let’s hope Isaak Davies does not go the same way. Steve Morison has never once singled out a senior player like that despite them being far more responsible for our position than the youngsters and so when he says people will say he only treated Davies like he did because he is a young player, he is acknowledging a truth.

What is it about managers that makes them think they can humiliate younger players in public like that? Davies has been getting plaudits for his performances before yesterday and people who know him talk about his good attitude, he’s also a fan of the club and, so unlike some this season, can be relied upon to give his best - particularly as he is young enough not to be affected by the cynicism you might get in a senior pro. Maybe Morison thought Davies needed taking down a peg or two after the praise he has received, but he chose a crass and very disappointing way of going about it.
    Absolutely agree 100% - I was just about to post about the Adam Matthews incident. Terrible man-management.

First big error by Morison in my mind, re: the post-match interview.

Fans were still onboard with him and I thought to-date most of what he has said in press-conferences had made sense; and something I could get behind.

Why he thought saying the things he did after the game about Davies was a) warranted and b) a good idea, is baffling. When he took him off I initially thought that maybe he felt with Kieffer going off we needed some extra presence; or the game was simply passing Davies by and he'd rather keep him fresh and use him on Sunday. He certainly didn't stand out as being overly poor, we were just pegged back by a better team, we had 10 men; and we hadn't trained for a fortnight. None of that particularly bothered me yesterday, as I think there have been vast improvements in majority of games and I don't think you can rely too heavily on anything from yesterday's match. So I don't understand why Morison was so defensive after the game; and subsequently hung Davies out to dry.

Be interesting to hear what was said behind closed doors; and whether the Journos will pull him up on his comments in the pre-WBA press conference (if there is one). I think he could get a little bit of respect back by admitting he was wrong to call him out in the way he did. If not, I fear a lot of the goodwill from the fans (which was obvious at the final whistle; as the players were cheered off the pitch), will have been lost. As proven in this thread, the Adam Matthews and DJ incident is still in people's minds and that must've been circ 10/15 years ago now!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    There were also several instances in the 2nd half where I specifically recall both Nelson and Flint had time to bring the ball under control and make a simple pass to retain possession. Nelson lumped his long into Bournemouth’s half where we had no players and Flint, with plenty of time, blasted his straight out into touch, not even making the halfway line . I don’t see Morison commenting on that.

I think the point is why specifically pick on Davies when they were several poor performances from much more senior pros. Morison actually says it can be seen as an easy target picking on a youngster and you know what Steve, yes it is and it doesn’t reflect well
    Thing is, that's what flint and Nelson do, on a regular basis. There is little hope for them. As for Davies, well, Morison has a relationship with him, he's coached him for the past couple of years or so as a youngster. Morison feels that he can do that to him, obviously. It was out of order though, although I do believe that the young players need to show more if they're going to progress.

The second mistake in my opinion; the first was the awful team selection last night. As soon as I saw the team my heart sank. Yet despite their obviously merited position at the top of the table, Bournemouth were far from at their best last night.

They were ponderous in midfield, nervy at the back and for a long while lack lustre up front. We even had two golden chances to score which we fluffed.

Had Morison picked a better team last night and with a better and more attack minded midfield in particular we might just have pinched a result.

The first mistake can be rectified: do not pick that team again. Bacuna's sending off has partially helped us in that matter.

The second mistake is a bit more difficult to resolve quickly. I just wonder if after sleeping on it Steve Morison apologizes publically to Isaac Davies and admit his mistake. Isaac Davies is one of the few who definitely do not deserve criticism for their performances so far this term.

Yes, I agree.

Being a young lad doesn't make him immune for critism. I didn't see the game so offer no opinion on his performance.

I believe in being firm but fair with the youngsters. If you pander to them and wrap them up in cotton wool, they'll always look for it and won't develop professionally or personally.That applies to kids in any trade.

Generally what I've seen of young Isaak Davies is very positive and I sincerely believe he has a bright future.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes, I agree.

Being a young lad doesn't make him immune for critism. I didn't see the game so offer no opinion on his performance.

I believe in being firm but fair with the youngsters. If you pander to them and wrap them up in cotton wool, they'll always look for it and won't develop professionally or personally.That applies to kids in any trade.

Generally what I've seen of young Isaak Davies is very positive and I sincerely believe he has a bright future.
    Morison had a strop on, probably over the bacuna incident. And he probably told Davies to do one thing and one thing only, get on the ball, draw fouls and buy a bit of time, slow it down a bit. Davies did the opposite and morison acted like a spoilt child.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Morison had a strop on, probably over the bacuna incident. And he probably told Davies to do one thing and one thing only, get on the ball, draw fouls and buy a bit of time, slow it down a bit. Davies did the opposite and morison acted like a spoilt child.
    Morison has appeared very conceited in previous interviews. No he is demonstrating his willingness to blame kids for all-round abject performances. Whatever Davies was told to do, I doubt he would’ve had much opportunity as we were in our own box for much of that 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes, I agree.

The point is not that you cannot criticise young players, but how many times do you hear a manager talk about any player in the way Morison talked about Davies in a post match press conference? I specifically mentioned Adam Matthews earlier because it was so unusual to hear a City manager talk like that about one of his players. I never heard Dave Jones talk like that about a senior player - Michael Chopra was a disgrace in some of his appearances for us in his final season here, yet there was never a word of criticism from his manager and now Steve Morison has done the same to another young player who I’d say has won us more points than he’s lost in his very brief career. Why do managers make all sorts of allowances for senior pros and yet hang youngsters out to dry publicly after one poor performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The second mistake in my opinion; the first was the awful team selection last night. As soon as I saw the team my heart sank. Yet despite their obviously merited position at the top of the table, Bournemouth were far from at their best last night.

They were ponderous in midfield, nervy at the back and for a long while lack lustre up front. We even had two golden chances to score which we fluffed.

Had Morison picked a better team last night and with a better and more attack minded midfield in particular we might just have pinched a result.

The first mistake can be rectified: do not pick that team again. Bacuna's sending off has partially helped us in that matter.

The second mistake is a bit more difficult to resolve quickly. I just wonder if after sleeping on it Steve Morison apologizes publically to Isaac Davies and admit his mistake. Isaac Davies is one of the few who definitely do not deserve criticism for their performances so far this term.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He needs to be careful though. When all is said and done, he needs most of those players to be on side with him. If he criticises too heavily in Public then he could have a problem on his hands.
    I agree, but we have to think that Morison has coached Davies for a few years ( it is a few years isn't it ? ? ) and knows the young lad, he did say good things about him aswell, Morison might feel this will be a gentle kick up the arse that Davies needed, it might be something Morison has done in the past with him, we dont know the relationship they have, Morison strikes me as someone who does know, so we have to trust him

Morison seemed a little edgy during the press conference. I know that the questions from journalists can be a bit repetitive and boring, but he did come across a bit edgy on times to me.
    Maybe it's the outbreak of COVID that has stressed him a bit, lack of preparation etc. A new thing for all managers but probably more difficult for someone completely new to management at this level.

My concerns are that I have no idea what he is attempting to implement, I just can't see it, if others can then help me out a bit.
    It's a slightly quicker form of Neil Harris football, the midfield don't do anything different, the three in the middle all seem to hold the line and play in flat lines, although none of them are capable of anything else.

He really needs some short term experience in that midfield, a player who can organise, just until the end of the season. They're shocking in every respect. Can't feed the striker or support and don't protect the defenders. Vaulks is league 1 standard as is Bacuna and Ralls isn't going to improve, neither is pack. Big problems in that position.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5259533

My concerns are that I have no idea what he is attempting to implement, I just can't see it, if others can then help me out a bit.

Totally agree with that statement. I am really totally behind this appointment as I thought he would bring a different style. I realise the squad we have is poor, but good managers try creative changes to see if they work. I am assuming Pack will be straight back into midfield now Bacuna is missing ? Why not try Pack in the back four ? Why not try Bagan at LB and play a back four ? I am not saying any of these would work but at least it would show the manager was trying.