+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don't look up

Don't look up

Has anyone seen this yet? Great movie in my opinion. A criticism I've seen is that it's not funny, but in my opinion it isn't supposed to be funny at all.

It's satire showing how governments and let's be honest, uneducated populations react to very real and dangerous issues. Also shows how much the richest in society continue to mess things up for everyone else.

Re: Don't look up

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Did you watch it til the very very very end?(after the credits)

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Has anyone seen this yet? Great movie in my opinion. A criticism I've seen is that it's not funny, but in my opinion it isn't supposed to be funny at all.

It's satire showing how governments and let's be honest, uneducated populations react to very real and dangerous issues. Also shows how much the richest in society continue to mess things up for everyone else.
    Just watched it, enjoyable film if you take it at face value. Meryl Streep’s performance is either genius or puzzling, not sure. I think we’ll see many more films shot in this fashion in the future, could be on the brink of change in film production.

It just got a terrible review in the Guardian. But it looks interesting. And currently has a 7.3 on IMDB. I might watch it tonight.

I just watched it, and thought it was pretty good. You can't help feeling that in the worst case scenario, that's EXACTLY what would happen. All the cast was good, though I didn't recognise Cate Blanchett till the credits rolled.

I watched it with my adult kids. They liked it whilst I thought it was crap! I like marmite though.

Yeah seen worse but pretty crap.

Chance for a bunch of Hollywood buddies to get together and have a few days out.

Terrible film.

I enjoyed it. Politicians taking decisions based on whether their support increases is so typical of the World today but it was a reminder of how dangerous it is to leave important decisions in the hands of politicians. Politicians should follow the science. Sound familiar?

Watched it last night. An enjoyable film that shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I enjoyed it. Politicians taking decisions based on whether their support increases is so typical of the World today but it was a reminder of how dangerous it is to leave important decisions in the hands of politicians. Politicians should follow the science. Sound familiar?
    Exactly.
    Can't recall the originsl quote or sho said it (Mark Twain maybe?) but it was something like
    "those who want power are the least deserving of it"

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Watched it last night. An enjoyable film that shouldn’t be taken seriously.
    I think you didnt understand the film if you dont think it should be taken seriously.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Exactly.
    Can't recall the originsl quote or sho said it (Mark Twain maybe?) but it was something like
    Only those who do not seek powers are qualified to hold it. Plato. But I expect there was some other clever sod who said something similar before him

Exactly.
    Plato!

Edit: Just seen it above. Twain is better than Plato though.

Enjoyed it, guy that played the tech billionaire was on point

Thought it was utter garbage, the screenplay peurile and infantile American tripe. The storyline was OK but the dialogue was dreadful. The only saving grace was Streep's final scene.

Exactly.
    I think that quote is so true.
    I don't think that I've liked a politician since Tony Benn.

I enjoyed it, although it wasn't particularly subtle in it's reflection on western populist leaders Johnson and Trump, but I guess we are way past being subtle when it comes to those clowns.

I liked the little digs best.. i.e. the General selling stuff to the scientists from the Oval Office kitchen.

Saw it last night, enjoyed it in an OK but not great sort of way

Watched it last night and overall I enjoyed it. I can understand some of the comments above, but after all the film is a parody and not meant to be serious per se.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I think you didnt understand the film if you dont think it should be taken seriously.
    That’s not what I meant. The allegory should be taken seriously but the film as a piece of art, shouldn’t be. It’s should be taken for what it is.

Gave up after half an hour, not even Jennifer Lawrence could encourage me to finish it

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Gave up after half an hour, not even Jennifer Lawrence could encourage me to finish it
    Its hard work at the beginning, and not obvious that its a parody, but it gets better. its probably at least 20minutes too long tho, altho the credits take over 7 minutes!

I enjoyed all of it. The film highlights the dangers of leaving important matters in the hands of politicians who should have followed the science to quote a well known current phrase.

Anyone remember Whoops Apocalypse from the 80s? I watched the TV Series and the film and treated it as a mad comedy rather than satire. Now, nearly forty years later, we get this in the days where satire is said by many to be redundant and you think they might have a point, because I would predict that there’d be definite similarities with the film in how the modern day world would react to the prospect of an asteroid wiping out humanity.

I enjoyed it though except I agree it was at least half an hour too long.