+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

Re: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What a road (Corporation) that must have been in its heyday!
    I worked for quite a few years at the nearby Whiteheads steelworks. At Christmas time, we would start off on a pub crawl from the West Of England pub, next to the transporter bridge.
    Every street corner leading on to Corporation Rd had a pub. A lot of them were boarded up but there were still enough pubs left to make it quite a challenge to finally make it down to the King William pub down the other end.
    Many, like myself, were Cardiff lads, but we never encountered any problems in that area in all fairness.

I wonder how many pubs are actually left on Corporation Rd these days?
    There were some great pubs down Pill.
    They all seemed to have closed now, I think the only one left is The Ship and Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We used to go to TJs to watch metal bands and would have a drink in a pub over the road

Is that the maindee area ?
    Technically it isn't Maindee but it's only a stones throw away.

My brother Russell Davies used to be captain and backstop for Cardiff boys in the early 70s..Gerald Fish..Philip Jay..went up to Liverpool to watch them.
    When Liverpool played in Cardiff Peter Reid stayed at our house..he was Liverpool captain

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I used to love playing baseball, llandaff fields, roath park Trelai, llanrumney rec,

Things went in a different direction when my brother in law pulled base 3 from the ground and assaulted a Llanrumney player with it as he was running past

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    also many great players graced the game from the football and rugby world in the summer months . For example I played with and against over a 25 year period Dave 'dai' Bishop , Mark Ring and Mike Rayer from the rugby world and from the football world Ellis Harrison ( Bristol Rovers and Welsh U-21) , Norman Parselle (Newport county ) and Paul Bodin

Before my time players like Dave Giles and the late great Phil Dwyer played for Grange Catholics in the baseball leagues and as a few mentioned used to attract big crowds in its heyday . sadly now just a distant memory
    Llandaff North!

We've had this discussion before on here Mozz, always love a reminisce of Baseball.
    Use to watch Mike Rayer smash it in to the taff down Hailey Park and I think Mike Ring played for the north as well.?
    Remember wining the U16s at Roath one year, beat llanedeyrn / pentwyn in the final. Only thing I ever won at sport of any note, picture in the Echo

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Llandaff North!

We've had this discussion before on here Mozz, always love a reminisce of Baseball.
    Use to watch Mike Rayer smash it in to the taff down Hailey Park and I think Mike Ring played for the north as well.?
    Remember wining the U16s at Roath one year, beat llanedeyrn / pentwyn in the final. Only thing I ever won at sport of any note, picture in the Echo
    I used to love watching "The North" playing baseball over Hailey Park, such a beautiful setting in the Summer! Llandaff North also had the best baseball kit of the lot. Many teams just used football kits, the North had specially made shirts that were unique.
    Mike Rayer's father, Alec, was also an excellent player in his day.
    Another fantastic player they had was Mark Powell. He was first-team bowler for the North when still in high school; many senior players struggled against his pace.

Mate of mine just saying that he’s playing again this season for Newport Baseball Club.
    Apparently 5 teams from Cardiff now and 1 from Newport.

They are playing at Rumney RFC over at Llanrumney Fields every Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why has it diminished then Mozz? Do you reckon that it's the lack of community in some of the more traditional working class areas of cardiff? Pub closures, loss of local industry or that young men just aren't that bothered about playing sport on the weekend anymore for a variety of reasons?

The Cardiff and District football league used to have 6 divisions if i can recall, then there was the Combination league as well. Pontcanna and Trelai were packed out on a saturday. I know that numbers have deteriorated slowly over the past 20 or 30 years so it's been a gradual thing, but it's an interesting subject as to why young men aren't playing so much sport on saturday afternoons like we did.
    There was a 'Wednesday' football league as well, for those who worked in retail etc. on Saturdays. The Cardiff and district has just 24 senior teams, but everything under 15 is thriving by the looks of it. Cardiff Combination 3 divisions of 8. As you suggest it seems when players reach 'adulthood' they stop playing. Probably tails off as parent power diminishes with age..

Haven’t read every Fred ,

But we used to travel up to Speke Old Boys, biannually from the Tavistock Pub in roath.

What a weekend that used to be

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Haven’t read every Fred ,

But we used to travel up to Speke Old Boys, biannually from the Tavistock Pub in roath.

What a weekend that used to be
    I’ve been on that trip, 16th-18th June, 1978. I know that because we watched the John Conteh/Mate Parlov fight on the telly in a Liverpool pub. Just checked, didn’t realise the fight was at the Red Star Stadium, Belgrade. Great weekend with a bunch of nutters

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve been on that trip, 16th-18th June, 1978. I know that because we watched the John Conteh/Mate Parlov fight on the telly in a Liverpool pub. Just checked, didn’t realise the fight was at the Red Star Stadium, Belgrade. Great weekend with a bunch of nutters
    I think that was the “pink champagne” trip

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I went to Llanrumney High whose Baseball team was a very strong , along with St Illtyds they supplied a few Welsh Internationals.
    Yes Llanrumney had a very good team as did Grange Albion, Penylan and Llandaff.
    Remember Paddy Hennessy bowling for Grange Albion.
    Also the internationals Wales v England at Roath Park rec. huge crowds in the 60’s

I played for Wales at under 14s in the early 2000’s, stayed up in Liverpool. It’s like they dragged a few kids off the streets to be honest, we beat them by an Innings. Still got my Wales jersey. The under 16s and men’s match was competitive though. Everyone went back to a pub called the first base afterwards.

It’s such a great game with a much better format than the American version, a real shame it’s died out. I’ve been involved in epic games for Grange Albions where the last man needs two or three runs to win and there’s a huge crowd watching, always thought it was better than a lot of sports that get televised.

The women’s game is going strong which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Mate of mine just saying that he’s playing again this season for Newport Baseball Club.
    Apparently 5 teams from Cardiff now and 1 from Newport.

They are playing at Rumney RFC over at Llanrumney Fields every Saturday.
    you can get updates every week from this welsh baseball twitter account

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    you can get updates every week from this welsh baseball twitter account

Cheers Moz

Tees Rd in Newport ?

Is it near the transporter bridge ?

If it is might it be named so because Middlesborough, in tees side is the only other uk city with the same kind of bridge ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Tees Rd in Newport ?

Is it near the transporter bridge ?

If it is might it be named so because Middlesborough, in tees side is the only other uk city with the same kind of bridge ?
    Bettws, close to Malpas on the way to Cwmbran.
    Lots of the streets there were named after rivers.
    Tees, Shannon, Humber, Monnow etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Bettws, close to Malpas on the way to Cwmbran.
    Lots of the streets there were named after rivers.
    Tees, Shannon, Humber, Monnow etc..
    Cheers mate just read what you posted and googled it

My mate lived in Ringland , in that tower block then he moved to coed Eva in cwmbran

He sonsidered that a step up 👆

My feeling was there were some right handy feckers on those diamonds

Probably went down the city

I lived midway between Splott and Roath Parks and watched St. Albans in particular and Penylan.
    Loved watching Slogger Slocombe batting for the Buns and Graham Pymble on base 1 for Penylan and Ted Petersen bowling.

I remember them showing baseball now and then on BBC Wales weekend sports shows. It was quite a different style to MLB from memory, more like rounders?

Why was it just cardiff , Newport and Liverpool that were big on baseball

Bristol , Swansea , Southampton etc .....all ports