+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

also many great players graced the game from the football and rugby world in the summer months . For example I played with and against over a 25 year period Dave 'dai' Bishop , Mark Ring and Mike Rayer from the rugby world and from the football world Ellis Harrison ( Bristol Rovers and Welsh U-21) , Norman Parselle (Newport county ) and Paul Bodin

Before my time players like Dave Giles and the late great Phil Dwyer played for Grange Catholics in the baseball leagues and as a few mentioned used to attract big crowds in its heyday . sadly now just a distant memory

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    also many great players graced the game from the football and rugby world in the summer months . For example I played with and against over a 25 year period Dave 'dai' Bishop , Mark Ring and Mike Rayer from the rugby world and from the football world Ellis Harrison ( Bristol Rovers and Welsh U-21) , Norman Parselle (Newport county ) and Paul Bodin

Before my time players like Dave Giles and the late great Phil Dwyer played for Grange Catholics in the baseball leagues and as a few mentioned used to attract big crowds in its heyday . sadly now just a distant memory
    Why has it diminished then Mozz? Do you reckon that it's the lack of community in some of the more traditional working class areas of cardiff? Pub closures, loss of local industry or that young men just aren't that bothered about playing sport on the weekend anymore for a variety of reasons?

The Cardiff and District football league used to have 6 divisions if i can recall, then there was the Combination league as well. Pontcanna and Trelai were packed out on a saturday. I know that numbers have deteriorated slowly over the past 20 or 30 years so it's been a gradual thing, but it's an interesting subject as to why young men aren't playing so much sport on saturday afternoons like we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why has it diminished then Mozz? Do you reckon that it's the lack of community in some of the more traditional working class areas of cardiff? Pub closures, loss of local industry or that young men just aren't that bothered about playing sport on the weekend anymore for a variety of reasons?

The Cardiff and District football league used to have 6 divisions if i can recall, then there was the Combination league as well. Pontcanna and Trelai were packed out on a saturday. I know that numbers have deteriorated slowly over the past 20 or 30 years so it's been a gradual thing, but it's an interesting subject as to why young men aren't playing so much sport on saturday afternoons like we did.
    pretty much all what you mentioned and as insider mentioned a lack of teachers in schools that come from outside the area that didn't know what baseball was ! lots of trade people played and like yourself worked away in the week and couldn't make night games so teams struggled in the week basically the demographics of work changed around that time . By the late 90's video games and a few years later smart phones etc sadly confined our kids to bed rooms rather than a sporting field

another big factor was alot of politics within the WBU in the late 90's and Noughties but I won't go there as I usually get a good leathering when we go down the politics road on here

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

There was a 'Wednesday' football league as well, for those who worked in retail etc. on Saturdays. The Cardiff and district has just 24 senior teams, but everything under 15 is thriving by the looks of it. Cardiff Combination 3 divisions of 8. As you suggest it seems when players reach 'adulthood' they stop playing. Probably tails off as parent power diminishes with age..

Haven’t read every Fred ,

But we used to travel up to Speke Old Boys, biannually from the Tavistock Pub in roath.

What a weekend that used to be

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Haven’t read every Fred ,

But we used to travel up to Speke Old Boys, biannually from the Tavistock Pub in roath.

What a weekend that used to be
    I’ve been on that trip, 16th-18th June, 1978. I know that because we watched the John Conteh/Mate Parlov fight on the telly in a Liverpool pub. Just checked, didn’t realise the fight was at the Red Star Stadium, Belgrade. Great weekend with a bunch of nutters

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve been on that trip, 16th-18th June, 1978. I know that because we watched the John Conteh/Mate Parlov fight on the telly in a Liverpool pub. Just checked, didn’t realise the fight was at the Red Star Stadium, Belgrade. Great weekend with a bunch of nutters
    I think that was the “pink champagne” trip