+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

Re: Baseball in South Wales and Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Why was it just cardiff , Newport and Liverpool that were big on baseball

Bristol , Swansea , Southampton etc .....all ports
    I think that it was a game brought over by Irish Immigrants, it was certainly a game encouraged in Catholic Schools in Cardiff. Plenty came to Cardiff, Liverpool and Newport i suppose. I'm not certain, but i think that the roots of the game started with Irish Diaspora.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I remember them showing baseball now and then on BBC Wales weekend sports shows. It was quite a different style to MLB from memory, more like rounders?
    you are correct harry the BBC used to show highlights of the Brewers Cup final up until the 80's . The brewers cup was considered the best cup to win after the prem league . was fortunate to play in a few baseball cup finals , got a few winners medals in various cups but the Brewers cup alluded me . Only got to 1 brewers cup final but got hammered by llanrumney on that occasion !

Why was it just cardiff , Newport and Liverpool that were big on baseball

Bristol , Swansea , Southampton etc .....all ports
    from sometime around 1892 to around the 1930;s baseball was also played in the glasgow areas , bristol areas , Gloucester / Malvern areas too

Remember speaking to Ken Hollyman in the late 80's who i mentioned on another thread last week telling me about the Bristol and Gloucester areas playing the game before the war but was surprised to hear the Glasgow areas played it too many moons ago

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I lived midway between Splott and Roath Parks and watched St. Albans in particular and Penylan.
    Loved watching Slogger Slocombe batting for the Buns and Graham Pymble on base 1 for Penylan and Ted Petersen bowling.
    Terry, Slogger, Slocombe in one match over Splott Parker hit a ball that travelled further than any other baseballer (any country’s version) or cricketer has achieved.

Remember watching Caerau play Llanrumney (think it was Llanrumney) in a final back in the day. Caerau had 2 men left into bat. Dubba Richards had only made it to base 1, so the last man had to get him home. The last batsman connected with the ball and it went straight upwards into the air. As quick as a flash, Dubba ran straight from base one to base 4 and home.
    The Llanrumney boys were going mental but the umpire hadn’t seen it as he was looking upwards at the ball 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that it was a game brought over by Irish Immigrants, it was certainly a game encouraged in Catholic Schools in Cardiff. Plenty came to Cardiff, Liverpool and Newport i suppose. I'm not certain, but i think that the roots of the game started with Irish Diaspora.
    So it wasn't American GIs settling in the docklands of Cardiff, Liverpool etc that brought it then ?

Why would the immigration of the Irish bring baseball ?

Shinty , gaelic football but baseball ?

And if it was predominantly Liverpool, Cardiff and Newport that provided players why not cities with even bigger Irish immigration ......Leeds, Birmingham , Coventry etc ?

It's certainly an interesting subject

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Remember watching Caerau play Llanrumney (think it was Llanrumney) in a final back in the day. Caerau had 2 men left into bat. Dubba Richards had only made it to base 1, so the last man had to get him home. The last batsman connected with the ball and it went straight upwards into the air. As quick as a flash, Dubba ran straight from base one to base 4 and home.
    The Llanrumney boys were going mental but the umpire hadn’t seen it as he was looking upwards at the ball 😂😂
    Why were they going mental , what dubba did was ok wasn't it ?

So it wasn't American GIs settling in the docklands of Cardiff, Liverpool etc that brought it then ?

Why would the immigration of the Irish bring baseball ?

Shinty , gaelic football but baseball ?

And if it was predominantly Liverpool, Cardiff and Newport that provided players why not cities with even bigger Irish immigration ......Leeds, Birmingham , Coventry etc ?

It's certainly an interesting subject
    I said that i wasn't sure, but anecdotally i have heard that the irish played rounders, and that's pretty much like Baseball. There was also American Baseball tours during the early 20s, it might have something to do with that.

It would have been ok if he’d run past base 2 and base 3 😂

No, he ran from base 1 to base 4, meaning he missed 2 and 3.

It would have been ok if he’d run past base 2 and base 3 😂
    Ah I thought that's what he did

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No, he ran from base 1 to base 4, meaning he missed 2 and 3.
    That's not what I got , I thought he run 1 , 2 , 3 then 4

I bet they were!!

I'm surprised Dubba got from 1 to 4 that quickly!

I played for Fitzalan around ‘76,’77. Until my schooling became approved
    I remember Mostyn had a very tasty bowler.
    Didn’t realise it wasn’t played everywhere, really good fun.