+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Murphy

Josh Murphy

Anyone know how he's doing? Was his brother Jacob always the better of the two? Or did the triumvirate of Warnock, Harris and McCarthy just completely ruin him as a player? What a terrible waste.

Re: Josh Murphy

Let's be honest, he's a decent enough player, but too inconsistent, and definitely lacks that final decision making process, that marks out the top players. We paid too much for him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Anyone know how he's doing? Was his brother Jacob always the better of the two? Or did the triumvirate of Warnock, Harris and McCarthy just completely ruin him as a player? What a terrible waste.
    I'm sure he was a cracking player at Norwich?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Let's be honest, he's a decent enough player, but too inconsistent, and definitely lacks that final decision making process, that marks out the top players. We paid too much for him.
    He's looked a worse player for us in the Championship than he was in the Prem

I've a feeling that we started the rot with him.
    There is 100% a player in there.
    If he has the mental fortitude to dig it out himself of if someone else can get it out is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I've a feeling that we started the rot with him.
    There is 100% a player in there.
    If he has the mental fortitude to dig it out himself of if someone else can get it out is another matter.
    From my memories of him in the top flight he was happy to hover around the half way line looking for an opportunity to attack. He got fans standing up in anticipation. He had pace, was direct and could score goals. He was never that defensively minded.

He's possibly a player who would thrive in the top flight but when asked to be the team player needed in the Championship it wasn't his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    From my memories of him in the top flight he was happy to hover around the half way line looking for an opportunity to attack. He got fans standing up in anticipation. He had pace, was direct and could score goals. He was never that defensively minded.

He's possibly a player who would thrive in the top flight but when asked to be the team player needed in the Championship it wasn't his game.
    Yeah maybe so.
    I'd certainly bring him back in January if it is feasible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Yeah maybe so.
    I'd certainly bring him back in January if it is feasible though.
    I'd like to see him get one last chance. His brother always looks decent for Newcastle.

He doesn't know when to release a ball and repeatedly loses possession as a result.

As my father would have "he's got no guts". Often gives me the impression that "he can't b arsed".

Lazy...and the search goes on for his heart

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Surprised they haven't tried to send him back.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    He wasn’t getting anywhere with Preston before that though - we could do with a winger, but although I’d definitely think of getting Wintle and Watters back, I don’t think I’d bother with Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He wasn’t getting anywhere with Preston before that though - we could do with a winger, but although I’d definitely think of getting Wintle and Watters back, I don’t think I’d bother with Murphy.
    he's only got a few months left on his contract, doesn't fit that well into the current system and is on a big wage.
    I definitely think he's got talent and have always willed him to do well, but it isn't going to happen

He's just not very good. 1 performance in 5 tells us that.

Get rid …bye bye murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's just not very good. 1 performance in 5 tells us that.
    Seems normal for a winger who is less inclined to help out defensively.

for the money he's likely earning and the return on that he's given us, I'm okay with him staying on loan until his contract runs out. Davies, Colwill and Harris on recent form are just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I cannot see him ‘thriving’ in the premier league. He had a few games where he was the best player on the pitch in the Prem but that was almost 5 years ago and has been under performing since. The way football is now they cannot allow a player a free role just to attack.

At Man City everyone fights hard to win the ball back. No one sits on the halfway line. Same for every top team. He’s not good enough offensively to be forgiven for his defensive issues

Used to back him to the bitter end but I’ve given up with him

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Lazy...and the search goes on for his heart
    Definitely think he’s feeling something. Whether it’s pressure or something I can’t put my finger on it.

He’s the epitome of a confidence player.

He should also look out for a brain. Some of the times I’ve watched him do something really well, and then do something utterly stupid is more than I should

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Was his brother Jacob always the better of the two?
    Jacob Murphy was signed by Rafa Benitez in July 2017 for a fee of £12 million.

Josh Murphy was signed by Neil Warnock in June 2018 for a fee of £11 million.

Jacob Murphy played six games for the England Under-21's, scoring one goal.

Josh Murphy played for England up to Under-20's level, but never made it to the Under-21's.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I'm sure he was a cracking player at Norwich?
    Josh Murphy's league stats for Norwich are broadly similar to his league stats for City:

Norwich = 44 (+46) appearances, 12 goals
    Cardiff = 50 (+38) appearances, 10 goals

Here's something I didn't know until I was looking at his stats today - Josh Murphy has scored late winning goals against City on three occasions.

He scored an extra-time winner for the MK Dons in a Capital One Cup tie against City in August 2015. That was his debut for the MK Dons, where he was starting a season-long loan. He then scored an injury-time winner for them in a 2-1 victory over City on Boxing Day 2015.

The following season, Murphy scored a 90th minute winner for Norwich in a 3-2 victory over City at Carrow Road in August 2016.

Id rather Murphy on the bench as an option than Watters.

Leave Watters where he is and let him have games. He wont start for us and we have Davies Harris and Collins as options.

Wintle seems like a no brainer for a recall though. If he doesnt our finances must be really desperate.