+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial abuse of Gerwyn Price has to stop.

Racial abuse of Gerwyn Price has to stop.

The treatment of Gerwyn Price by sections of the crowd at Ally Pally last night is unacceptable. Price IMO was visibly disturbed by it in his post match interview and yet no mention of it was made by SKY nor its commentary team. What happened to “ I am sorry if you heard any industrial language”. No one seemed concerned that the guy’s wife and kids were in the audience. The Sun was only concerned with a small spat between Price and his opponent. Let’s face it the barrage of abuse was not vented at Price just because he is good but because he is Welsh!!

Re: Racial abuse of Gerwyn Price has to stop.

The crowds this tournament have been a bit scummy. But Gerwyn isn't exactly an innocent party, the level of aggression that he displays regularly is completely unwarranted. He's become a cartoon style hate figure, thats largely his fault

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The crowds this tournament have been a bit scummy. But Gerwyn isn't exactly an innocent party, the level of aggression that he displays regularly is completely unwarranted. He's become a cartoon style hate figure, thats largely his fault
    I agree and think your bang on the money but what I don’t get is the broadcaster (Sky) can be so behind anti racism in one sport but seems to be okay with it in another bit incongruent if you ask me.

I noticed last night for the first time they were turning down the volume on the sheep shagging bastards chant.

If this is racism...and I say if...then the Cardiff City stadium is probably the single most racist building in the entire UK as anti English chants, be they jokes or not, are de rigueur and completely normalised and sung by thousands.

Best way for Price to deal with it would be to walk on with an inflatable sheep. If Price shows that he gets wound up by it or the crowd are told to stop it, the crowd will do it all the more.

I have little sympathy for Price as he's largely brought it on himself.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    If this is racism...and I say if...then the Cardiff City stadium is probably the single most racist building in the entire UK as anti English chants, be they jokes or not, are de rigueur and completely normalised and sung by thousands.
    English darts players get roasted by crowds in Scotland. The Irish crowds for the Grand Prix were always more welcoming of non-English players.

It's not because he is Welsh... Well in my opinion.

It's because he has a history of upsetting other players, of rubbing people up the wrong way and he has played on it, enjoyed it at times.

I'm sure he isn't liked by some people but for most I think he is just the pantomime villain.

Personally I like his antics, I like the way he tries to inject a bit of spice into a game that offers little opportunity for it.

I like watching him play, very rarely are they boring.

I dont follow darts, always seems slow going

but interesting while the match ( is it a match in darts ?? ) was going on

this thread was on the go

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...9-Gerwyn-Price

The crowds have been poor this year, a lot of anti-Irish/Scottish/Welsh stuff and "England til I die" etc, I don't recall it being like that previously. You'd have a pocket of it but I don't remember it being en masse

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The crowds have been poor this year, a lot of anti-Irish/Scottish/Welsh stuff and "England til I die" etc, I don't recall it being like that previously. You'd have a pocket of it but I don't remember it being en masse
    Pandemic meaning people aren't travelling from longer distances, so this WC will be full of English people?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pandemic meaning people aren't travelling from longer distances, so this WC will be full of English people?
    Probably

Darts seems to have exploded in popularity recently aswell so they may be newer fans, for instance they were booing Steve Beaton and I can't see long term darts fans booing him

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Probably

Darts seems to have exploded in popularity recently aswell so they may be newer fans, for instance they were booing Steve Beaton and I can't see long term darts fans booing him
    Booing has been there for about 10 years I think. I imagine the booing of Beaton was more to do with the popularity of Fallon Sherrock.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Best way for Price to deal with it would be to walk on with an inflatable sheep. If Price shows that he gets wound up by it or the crowd are told to stop it, the crowd will do it all the more.

I have little sympathy for Price as he's largely brought it on himself.
    Correct!
    We took away much of the anti-\welsh venom in our ground by adopting a few sheep-shagging chants.

When did we become so delicate and sensitive all of a sudden

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    When did we become so delicate and sensitive all of a sudden
    For me it’s not about being sensitive I’ve never taken offence by a bit of ribbing, like I said earlier it’s the broadcasters and media that grinds my gears, only last were they slaughtering leeds fans for chanting the rent boy song at Chelsea.

Jesus have all the people who seem to want to bring racism into everything not noticed that the two players were the same race. Nationalism certainly but mainly because Price rubs people up the wrong way. Not English myself but there is a lot of anti English nationalism (not racism) and the English will react accordingly.

Notice no one way booing

How is a mainly white crowd giving a white man grief racist?
    He hasn't helped himself in the past but I don't think he will worry about it too much.
    In fact he seems to feed of the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    How is a mainly white crowd giving a white man grief racist?
    He hasn't helped himself in the past but I don't think he will worry about it too much.
    In fact he seems to feed of the negativity.
    You may remember in 2016 Joe Marler was cited by the WRU for verbal abuse of Samson Lee by calling him “ gipsy boy”.
    The rules state that anyone verbally abused regarding race, colour, religion. creed ethnic or National origin or sexual orientation will be subject to a minimum 4 week ban. Marler had to issue a grovelling apology and was banned for 4 weeks.
    IMO the abuse suffered by Price was far worse and was compounded by the fact that Sky nor its commentators did nothing about it. Whether Price in his over exuberant celebrations is partly responsible is irrelevant and to infer that Price didn’t give a toss was not borne out in his post match comments. His opponent Kim Huytrechts has also said the the abuse of Price was unacceptable.
    You may be interested that countless complaints to Offcom about this incident have been made.

Did sky turn the volume down on the crowd because of the sheep snagging reference or because of the word bastard?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Did sky turn the volume down on the crowd because of the sheep snagging reference or because of the word bastard?
    Than god it wasn’t Gipsy Boy our friends in the Travelling Community would have taken Sky to the cleaners!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    You may remember in 2016 Joe Marler was cited by the WRU for verbal abuse of Samson Lee by calling him “ gipsy boy”.
    The rules state that anyone verbally abused regarding race, colour, religion. creed ethnic or National origin or sexual orientation will be subject to a minimum 4 week ban. Marler had to issue a grovelling apology and was banned for 4 weeks.
    IMO the abuse suffered by Price was far worse and was compounded by the fact that Sky nor its commentators did nothing about it. Whether Price in his over exuberant celebrations is partly responsible is irrelevant and to infer that Price didn’t give a toss was not borne out in his post match comments. His opponent Kim Huytrechts has also said the the abuse of Price was unacceptable.
    You may be interested that countless complaints to Offcom about this incident have been made.
    Don't really disagree with the genesis of your point, but I hope you have this energy for anti English sentiment that Cardiff fans dish out home and away.

The PDC need to think seriously about rotating the venue, it’s a distinct advantage to the English players. There’s sufficient countries involved to have 8 to 10 countries holding the final in rotation, even if Ally Pally is used every other year.

Just saw the English crowd singing the praises of Gary Anderson ....against an English man ...

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Wot he sed