+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another ridiculous VAR decision

Re: Another ridiculous VAR decision

This might have been said in this thread but the easy fix is setting the offside line by the player's foot and nothing else , that would stop the most ridiculous and contentious decisions immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The thing that gets me about pundits, ex players etc is that they've played the game, they know how these things work, they even out, and they also know that it's excuse making. They would be drilled from an early age to know that they shouldn't give a referee or an opponent the opportunity to get one over on them, if they get themselves in a shit position then it's their fault, not the officials. They're high end professionals, they know the score.
    Oh yeah, they're definitely not letting any secrets slip out. When you read the Secret Footballer, although you have to take it with a pinch of salt, it's far removed from punditworld.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This might have been said in this thread but the easy fix is setting the offside line by the player's foot and nothing else , that would stop the most ridiculous and contentious decisions immediately
    It wasn't contentious though, it's the rules, it's what many people were calling for, black or white and nothing in between. He was offside according to the rules.

It wasn't contentious though, it's the rules, it's what many people were calling for, black or white and nothing in between. He was offside according to the rules.
    It's certainly what the TV companies were calling for. For years whenever there was a contentious decision the commentator would invariably comment that onfield TV replies would put an end to wrong decisions. VAR is 'TV gold'..

Ok what's contentious is that that is the rule

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Absolutely. Goal line technology was fine, but I was against var all along. It's improved, it seems we were getting this every week at one point, but it's fixing a problem that wasn't really there.

If pundits had analysed a game instead of taking the easy way out and talked about the ref, we wouldn't be here.
    I like VAR as a concept. It's its implementation I have a problem with and of course the offside law itself. I was hoping VAR would put an end to or at least slow down the proliferation of diving across the leagues. And I still don't understand why diving is not a straight red. Also, something needs to be done about players "creating" fouls by leaving a leg in. It's obvious what's going on. "Drawing" a foul is now something that is deemed commendable. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I like VAR as a concept. It's its implementation I have a problem with and of course the offside law itself. I was hoping VAR would put an end to or at least slow down the proliferation of diving across the leagues. And I still don't understand why diving is not a straight red. Also, something needs to be done about players "creating" fouls by leaving a leg in. It's obvious what's going on. "Drawing" a foul is now something that is deemed commendable. I don't get it.
    Drawing a foul doesn't belong on football- only really ever associated it with basketball before.
    Ex-Strikers will say that the player was entitled go down as there was contact. Bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Drawing a foul doesn't belong on football- only really ever associated it with basketball before.
    Ex-Strikers will say that the player was entitled go down as there was contact. Bollocks.

Bollocks indeed.

Now THAT was some VAR bullshit.

Definite penalty to Man City. He put his leg out and then pulled his shirt. Now a stupid sending off. It’s all gone Pete Tong in 5 minutes for Arsenal.

100% penalty, he stuck his leg out AND pulled his shirt. Imagine that not being given for us

How can it be 100% a penalty if there's a blatant dive? Bernardo lost control of the ball, gave up and just threw himself to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    100% penalty, he stuck his leg out AND pulled his shirt. Imagine that not being given for us
    You missed out the 10/10 swallow dive at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I do think that a bit of Professional deception is fair game. I've always been of the opinion that if a striker (whose job is much more difficult than a defender) can put the defender in a bad position and exploit it, then fair enough. Most professional footballers will know if they've been done, and i'm sure that defenders do the same thing in order to gain an advantage. I get why people don't like it, but sometimes it's just clever play in my opinion.

How can it be 100% a penalty if there's a blatant dive? Bernardo lost control of the ball, gave up and just threw himself to the ground.
    With his shirt getting pulled and the defender's leg across him, it's a penalty every single time

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You missed out the 10/10 swallow dive at the end.
    He’d have hit the floor a lot quicker if the Arsenal player hadn’t have had about £35 worth of blue shirt in his hand. Definite pen and there’s a lot not given for shirt pulling, anywhere else on the pitch a shirt tug is a free kick.

We had a pelanty rightly given at West Brom a few seasons back when their ‘keeper hit Chopra, the ball was near the dug outs at the time. The location of the ball has nothing to do with it, you kick someone, punch someone, pull their shirt whatever, it’s an offence. Daft challenge by the Arsenal player today and the shirt tug was more ammunition for the penalty decision.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He’d have hit the floor a lot quicker if the Arsenal player hadn’t have had about £35 worth of blue shirt in his hand. Definite pen and there’s a lot not given for shirt pulling, anywhere else on the pitch a shirt tug is a free kick.
    It’s all bollox mate. Arsenal should have had a pen in the 1st half. Inconsistency is still rife, even with VAR

It’s all bollox mate. Arsenal should have had a pen in the 1st half. Inconsistency is still rife, even with VAR
    No doubt but this conversation was about Manchester’s penalty. Inconsistency is frustrating but if one mistake is made it shouldn’t follow that ‘We made a mistake on the Arsenal penalty decision so if Manchester get a stonewaller we won’t give it to even things up’.

I do think that a bit of Professional deception is fair game. I've always been of the opinion that if a striker (whose job is much more difficult than a defender) can put the defender in a bad position and exploit it, then fair enough. Most professional footballers will know if they've been done, and i'm sure that defenders do the same thing in order to gain an advantage. I get why people don't like it, but sometimes it's just clever play in my opinion.
    I'm surprised you say that. Defending seems like a nightmare to me. You're trying to stop someone doing something, worrying about positioning etc. Getting the ball and trying to score, although very difficult seems much more natural to me. If you try to run into space and a defender tracks you, or anticipates your movement it's not your fault. If you get half a dozen chances and bag one of them you'll get away with it. Whereas if you're a defender if you're not just defending against a striker or even two, you're defending against the whole team. You have to guess everything. If you make the same ratio of mistakes over a whole game you're out.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We had a pelanty rightly given at West Brom a few seasons back when their ‘keeper hit Chopra, the ball was near the dug outs at the time. The location of the ball has nothing to do with it, you kick someone, punch someone, pull their shirt whatever, it’s an offence. Daft challenge by the Arsenal player today and the shirt tug was more ammunition for the penalty decision.
    I understand that shirt pulling is an offence, but the ref didn't see it and the player was going down anyway. Can you imagine if every corner was reviewed by VAR? The ref may as well just award a penalty instead.

Looks to me like the Arsenal player stood on the keepers ankle https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/stat...601717760?s=21

I understand that shirt pulling is an offence, but the ref didn't see it and the player was going down anyway. Can you imagine if every corner was reviewed by VAR? The ref may as well just award a penalty instead.
    Exactly right, it’s something that’s annoyed me for ages re. Defenders actions at set pieces. Ref’s should be awarding pens when defenders start their shirt tugging shenanigans, you’d hope then that the message would hit home that it’s a foul. Does anyone remember that Liverpool defender Skrtel when playing against us at Anfield a few seasons back? Every corner was a physical assault on one of our lot yet nothing given, shocking, a foul is a foul, give it, give the pen. It does seem that the refs’ arses go when it occurs in the box yet anywhere else on the pitch they’re fussy as f*ck. Now that’s inconsistency.

I'm surprised you say that. Defending seems like a nightmare to me. You're trying to stop someone doing something, worrying about positioning etc. Getting the ball and trying to score, although very difficult seems much more natural to me. If you try to run into space and a defender tracks you, or anticipates your movement it's not your fault. If you get half a dozen chances and bag one of them you'll get away with it. Whereas if you're a defender if you're not just defending against a striker or even two, you're defending against the whole team. You have to guess everything. If you make the same ratio of mistakes over a whole game you're out.
    I play at a low level obviously, but I find the few games a season when I'm at centre back much easier than the rest of the time in midfield or attack. I'm a poor tackler, but just reading the game and positioning yourself properly does most of the job for you.

Did Attwell book the Man City player when he scored and took his shirt off ??

Nothing came up on my screen