+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banter, or over stepping the mark ?

Banter, or over stepping the mark ?

Crowd chanting “Sheep shagging bastard” at Gerwyn Price at the darts.

Re: Banter, or over stepping the mark ?

Banter, it's on another thread sire!

Are we that soft these days?

Of course it's banter ffs.

We know what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    We know what we are.
    Speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Speak for yourself
    It had gotten itself caught in the fence, Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It had gotten itself caught in the fence, Officer.

Banter.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Crowd chanting “Sheep shagging bastard” at Gerwyn Price at the darts.
    Be careful The Whimperer doesn't see this

International

We shag them, then the English eat them lol

Banter. Clearly

By definition, how many Welshmen, if they are told they are a sheep shagging bastard, would be upset and how many would say 'too fecking right'?

How many English realize they have Welsh genes in them I wonder?

So going by the replies on this thread, it’s banter (which i entirely agree with by the way). Just wondering why Arsenal fans chanting about Tottenhams Son eating dogs, or Man Utd fans chanting about Lukaku having a rather large trouser snake, was deemed as unacceptable ?

Isn’t banter a two way process? As there is no response from GP it is just an insult/abuse or whatever but not banter.

The same with the Hymns and Arias chant. If we are b not playing the Jacks it can’t be banter. If we are playing them and they don’t respond it is not banter. If they do respond by singing “Child Abuse victims we know what we are” it becomes banter.

Just a thought

Whilst I would consider it banter, as would most welshmen, what i find hard to digest is the double standards. The welsh are always expected to laugh it off, whereas we get called out for it. Remember 2 seasons ag, Raeding in FA Cup, Reading fans sing sheep shagging bastards, but when we reply with always shit on the english side of the bridge there's an announcement asking us to refrain from racist and homophobic chanting. We were the headline on every news programme that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Isn’t banter a two way process? As there is no response from GP it is just an insult/abuse or whatever but not banter.

The same with the Hymns and Arias chant. If we are b not playing the Jacks it can’t be banter. If we are playing them and they don’t respond it is not banter. If they do respond by singing “Child Abuse victims we know what we are” it becomes banter.

Just a thought
    Nicely argued.

The thing about the word banter is that it's open to interpretation. The definition of the word banter includes the term teasing, yet teasing is often defined as making jokes in order to embarrass, annoy or upset someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The thing about the word banter is that it's open to interpretation. The definition of the word banter includes the term teasing, yet teasing is often defined as making jokes in order to embarrass, annoy or upset someone.
    It seems to me that “banter” has become a nice acceptable word to cover verbal abuse, insults and sometimes discriminatory language. The light hearted aspect of what I would once have understood to be included in its definition has gone by the board.

A man needs a release somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post

Just a thought
    Hmm interesting interpretation and I don’t necessarily disagree. However that would mean any comedian on TV making a joke can’t be considered banter as there’s no ability to respond. I’ve heard many a jokes made about Wales, football fans, men, cyclists, young people, etc that I would happily consider lighthearted banter but without the ability for me to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Interpretation is the key word. It probably applies to the majority of written disagreements on this board but in the words of Brian… we are all individuals.

It's only banter when Price gets on the tannoy and calls them English cnuts

Don't say anything is best or you will be cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Interpretation is the key word. It probably applies to the majority of written disagreements on this board but in the words of Brian… we are all individuals.
    "I'm not"